Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

frash wrote: »
    FX Buckley are opening a butchers beside SuperValu in Deansgrange.

What are FXB like as butchers shops?

I associate them with steak but I assume they will do the full range of basic meats along with some pre prepared items/meals ready to bung in the oven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    What are FXB like as butchers shops?

I associate them with steak but I assume they will do the full range of basic meats along with some pre prepared items/meals ready to bung in the oven

Don't think I've ever been in one but they seem to cover all the bases
    http://www.fxbuckleybutchers.ie/meat.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Does anyone happen to have any updates on what is going on in The Park in Carrickmines? I see that Powercity are opening a unit but any movement on the other rumours such as planning permission for a cinema, new access road out to the Balyogan Road or a supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

What is being built on the old Iceland site opposite the old Workmans Club in Lower Georges Street. I know it looks like apartments but is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Does anyone happen to have any updates on what is going on in The Park in Carrickmines? I see that Powercity are opening a unit but any movement on the other rumours such as planning permission for a cinema, new access road out to the Balyogan Road or a supermarket?
    I saw the plans for it it looks feckin huge what they want to build

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

New access is needed now!

You have a new luas station just 200m from a huge retail/office/employment centre, with empty land between them - and four years later there is still a 1 km pedestrian-unfriendly walk between the two.

Why does everything take so long to do in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You have a new luas station just 200m from a huge retail/office/employment centre, with empty land between them - and four years later there is still a 1 km pedestrian-unfriendly walk between the two.

Permission for district centre shops (grocery etc) on that vacant land has been refused, rightly so id say.

Rather than worry about how quickly or slowly things are done would you not consider how appropriate they might be? You will recall that rushed, duplicated, inappropriate, developer led planning played a huge part in how ****** the country still is right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Probably a good ploy to keep the ballyogan luas kids away from the place, they should be out in care

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/cotter-finally-gets-green-light-for-his-new-dublin-cemetery-30116394.html

Park Developments have finally received permission to build (dig?) a near nine-acre site in Kilternan for more than 2,000 plots, a reflection pavilion, and remembrance walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

stehyl15 wrote: »
    I saw the plans for it it looks feckin huge what they want to build

What do they want to build?

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Permission for district centre shops (grocery etc) on that vacant land has been refused, rightly so id say.

Rather than worry about how quickly or slowly things are done would you not consider how appropriate they might be? You will recall that rushed, duplicated, inappropriate, developer led planning played a huge part in how ****** the country still is right now?

The centre already exists with huge numbers employed. You want them to use public transport rather than cars?

Then join the dots......

I can't see that such a link has anything whatsoever to do with "inappropriate, developer led planning".

ted1 wrote: »
    Probably a good ploy to keep the ballyogan luas kids away from the place, they should be out in care

ffs

Yeah, many Ballyogan residents have jobs in the retail park..is that "inappropriate"? Would they be better off on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ffs

Yeah, many Ballyogan residents have jobs in the retail park..is that "inappropriate"? Would they be better off on the dole?

No, i think your reading it completely wrong. I'm saying the kids that hang around the luas are dejenerates and would run amok if they had easy access to the park.

Now what that has hot to do with people working and being put in the dole with I have no idea. Think I may have touched a sore spot with you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Or perhaps if Ballyogan Wood Luas stop had a direct route to the Park, far more people would use it. A busier stop means less likelyhood of kids loitering. I don't think they'd run amok in the Park since there's private security there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah, I think that if they were going to "run amok" in The Park they would have done so by now, it's not exactly an hour's walk away or anything as is.

the reality is they won't even try because they won't get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I heard at the weekend that Peggy's Bakery in Glasthule is to continue as a bakery. It's been bought over as a going concern by a city-centre based company (not sure who) from the owners, who are retiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I heard at the weekend that Peggy's Bakery in Glasthule is to continue as a bakery. It's been bought over as a going concern by a city-centre based company (not sure who) from the owners, who are retiring.

Is that the one next to the launderette?

It's a nice traditional bakery, but could do with coming a bit more up to date with its range. A few more spelt/sour dough type things to meet the changing health fads.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Is that the one next to the launderette?

It's a nice traditional bakery, but could do with coming a bit more up to date with its range. A few more spelt/sour dough type things to meet the changing health fads.

that's the one Fred. Agreed on updating the range, but I hope that Peggy's recipe for Custard Slices was included in the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DAVE243

Aard wrote: »
    A takeaway is a decent bet though. One of those fancy takeaways like Diep at Home or Mao would probably fit in.

I ate Diep Thai on Friday evening ordering through the web after several months. If I remember, they just changed their takeaway website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Heard rumours of a craft shop going into the old playwright site... Anyone know anything concrete?

Yes. I found some information that will interest you.

The planning permission was made by the Village Craft Centre in Cornelscourt.

According to a HSA Application form from them that is displayed on the current Playwright building itself, it is to go through a extension and refurbishment of the interior and they will probably move in when that work is finished.

There was some remedial work there that is still continuing now which had seen some partial demolition outside the old entrance of TGI Fridays. I assume that this entrance is allowing itself for work on the new extension that is being built at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The centre already exists with huge numbers employed. You want them to use public transport rather than cars?

Then join the dots......

I can't see that such a link has anything whatsoever to do with "inappropriate, developer led planning".
    ffs

Do you really think 800m (the difference between a direct and indirect route) is really putting off people using public transport to access the place? Are people that lazy (I'm lazy but that distance wouldn't put me off)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Do you really think 800m (the difference between a direct and indirect route) is really putting off people using public transport to access the place? Are people that lazy (I'm lazy but that distance wouldn't put me off)?

It's not a shopping stroll with shops to browse or any other redeeming qualities. It's a slog uphill in a barren unwelcoming environment. The very fact that it's three sides of a square would put me off. I've a car though and the place is busy enough any time I'm there. I suppose they don't care about attracting pedestrians who would have to hand-carry purchases home and whose shopping capacity would be limited as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think it's very clever planning. Why would you want to put a Luas stop next to a retail park when you can put one in the middle of a field?

The way the green line manages to avoid not only Carrickmines, but also the race course is genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It is a massive difference, especially carrying shopping bags back to the luas stop. And just the general awkwardness of it all. We normally drive to Carrickmines but it would be handy for me to pop in there coming from town on the Luas too - unfortunately I did it once and never again, the walk a slog and it's boring. I'd shop in town or alight in Dundrum instead, so they are losing my custom on such occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 In The Conversation

Regarding the Playwright site on Newtownpark Ave:

I hear that it is going to be a Tesco Express/Metro and a Starbucks. I heard this as a rumour but it seems reasonably plausible:

1. The approved Planning Permission (on DLRCoCo site) is for extension and change of use to a "shop". The drawings show the shop having checkouts, an off-licence area, a bakery area etc. The planning permission was initially rejected, but subsequently approved in late 2012.
    2. The Butler brothers own the site. They are also the Starbucks franchise owners in Dublin.
    3. I spoke to a tradesman on the site a few weeks back. He told me they wouldn't tell him what was going there, but his guess was a Tesco.

From what I've seen and heard, I definitely think it will be a mini-supermarket, seems pretty likely to be a Tesco Express/Metro. Not very sure about the Starbucks element though.

Regarding the Playwright site on Newtownpark Ave:

I hear that it is going to be a Tesco Express/Metro and a Starbucks. I heard this as a rumour but it seems reasonably plausible:

1. The approved Planning Permission (on DLRCoCo site) is for extension and change of use to a "shop". The drawings show the shop having checkouts, an off-licence area, a bakery area etc. The planning permission was initially rejected, but subsequently approved in late 2012.
    2. The Butler brothers own the site. They are also the Starbucks franchise owners in Dublin.
    3. I spoke to a tradesman on the site a few weeks back. He told me they wouldn't tell him what was going there, but his guess was a Tesco.

From what I've seen and heard, I definitely think it will be a mini-supermarket, seems pretty likely to be a Tesco Express/Metro. Not very sure about the Starbucks element though.

I would think the tesco would be objected by the shop across the road and the texaco/centra so they can keep overcharging and use a poxy excuse like 'a big chain would ruin the community spirit' or some bs like that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tabnabs wrote: »

God even if they run another bus route through dalkey theyd probably object because 'it would more polluted' really it give them less space to park their 4x4s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

God even if they run another bus route through dalkey theyd probably object because 'it would more polluted' really it give them less space to park their 4x4s

If you stood outside the Queens in Dalkey and threw out €50 notes there would be an objection.:)

However as we can see in nearby Marine Road Dun Laoghaire we already have 2 Starbucks.

I think we all know the modus operandi of these large multi national coffee chains so maybe the people in Dalkey are correct.

If nothing else it shows a bit of community spirit..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That's a ridiculous comment and typical stereotyping that I see and hear far too often. The vast majority of people from Dalkey are average people and far from rich.

Personally I don't want to see multi-national business opening in Dalkey. There are plenty of coffee shops there already, there is no need for another one.

Advertisement