Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    If you stood outside the Queens in Dalkey and threw out €50 notes there would be an objection.:)

However as we can see in nearby Marine Road Dun Laoghaire we already have 2 Starbucks.

I think we all know the modus operandi of these large multi national coffee chains so maybe the people in Dalkey are correct.

If nothing else it shows a bit of community spirit..
    Kingp35 wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous comment and typical stereotyping that I see and hear far too often. The vast majority of people from Dalkey are average people and far from rich.

Personally I don't want to see multi-national business opening in Dalkey. There are plenty of coffee shops there already, there is no need for another one.

These campaigns try to make it seem that everyone in Dalkey is behind them, they're not. They're led by interested parties. I'm only a blow-in but I wouldn't mind if someone caused Mugs/Select Stores/Corner Note to lower their prices a bit.
    I do like the fact that Dalkey isn't exactly the same as every other suburb/village in Dublin but whether or not that would lead me to boycott is another kettle of fish, plus I don't like the underlying xenophobic nature of some of the commentary regarding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

These campaigns try to make it seem that everyone in Dalkey is behind them, they're not. They're led by interested parties. I'm only a blow-in but I wouldn't mind if someone caused Mugs/Select Stores/Corner Note to lower their prices a bit.

I don't believe that small independent places like those named above can afford to lower their prices.

ted1 wrote: »
    I don't believe that small independent places like those named above can afford to lower their prices.

I like Mugs but it always seems to me to be over-staffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I like Mugs but it always seems to me to be over-staffed.

Over staffed? Not a complaint I would ever make about a coffee shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Also I blow-in living in Dalkey.. If Starbucks was boycotted I don't see this crowd fairing any better. It is a bit rich that all the complainants are the local competition.. Why don't they call a spade a spade instead of talking about the heritage of the town.

• Advertisement

Over staffed? Not a complaint I would ever make about a coffee shop!

Not generally but it obviously has an impact on the costs of the business and thus the cost of the coffee to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

A family member ran an O'Briens sandwich bar in Galway for a few years.. Staffing is a major PITA and expense in that business. Other than your peak times you are generally way overstaffed. Flexible part time staff aren't so easy to come by.

One place that is never overstaffed is Centra at DLSC.. It's absolutely heaving during the day but there's often one person at the tills. Penny pinching like that drives me insane! It's rare that I would avoid any business but I make a point of never entering that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

For sure, actually, the O'Brien's in Waterford is the same now that I come to think of it. There are usually 2 staff members on duty whenever I am in there, when there only ever seems need to the 2 of them during peak times. However, what do you do, tell someone to come in for an hour and a half twice a day every day of the week? I'd say it's a nightmare organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 In The Conversation

Wetherspoons in Blackrock is opening in 3 weeks time. I walked by it today and it actually looks almost done. I know that Wetherspoons in the UK have a bad reputation, but in fairness it looks like they did a decent job with the place in Blackrock. Certainly looks better than Tonic did.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Silvio's in Templeogue Village gone?

Also The Castle Inn in Rathfarnam Village?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Anyone know what they are doing on the Balyogan road? Seems to be a fair bit of development on the sports pitches that flank the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Wetherspoons in Blackrock is opening in 3 weeks time. I walked by it today and it actually looks almost done. I know that Wetherspoons in the UK have a bad reputation, but in fairness it looks like they did a decent job with the place in Blackrock. Certainly looks better than Tonic did.

Opening July 8th according to the sign outside today. Exterior seems to be finished as you say, must be a couple of weeks worth of fitting out left to finish.

Big thread ('Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming') on the topic over in Beer Wine & Spirits...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057028788

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Not sure if it is mentioned earlier in the thread, but there's a fish & chip shop (not a traditional chipper as such) at the back of Blackrock Market, up near the side entrance that comes out beside the Superquinn/Supervalu car park. There's normally a sign on the main street near the Carphone Warehouse pointing you in the right direction. They have a couple of seats & tables there, or you can take the stuff away.

Chips were ok. Fish was good. Fish burger was very, very good.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Speaking of fish & chips...
    Ouzo's now run the 'Fish Shack' on Dun Laoghaire pier.

Haven't been but heard the lobster roll is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Do you work with/are you my missus? That's pretty much word for word what she said the other day.

z
    frash wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

zagmund wrote: »
    Do you work with/are you my missus? That's pretty much word for word what she said the other day.

z

No but bring her tonight after work & tell us all about the lobster roll first hand tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

frash wrote: »

Where on the pier is that never noticed it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Where on the pier is that never noticed it

Bqch-bUIEAAjzJp.jpg:large

From twitter. You can't miss it on the East Pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Georges Fish Shop open in Monkstown village now, beside the post office. It appears top be branching out from their Farm branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Dice75 wrote: »
    Silvio's in Templeogue Village gone?

Also The Castle Inn in Rathfarnam Village?

I heard the Castle was gone but have heard nothing about Silvios. I'll have a look on my way home this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Synode wrote: »
    I heard the Castle was gone but have heard nothing about Silvios. I'll have a look on my way home this evening.

Any update on the chipper?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Any update on the chipper?

According to the facebook page it is temporarily closed for renovations:

https://www.facebook.com/SilviosFoodCompany

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

new hardware shop open or opening in ballybrack shopping centre where the green grocer was. FXB butchers opening in deansgrange beside liberos in july
    When are you opening in Deansgrange and please tell me that you'll be stocking the same white pudding as on Moore St?????
    22LikeLike ·
    Top Comments

FX Buckley Family Butchers Hi Leila, we will be opening our new shop in July. Really looking forward to it. We will, of course, be stocking our famous black and white pudding!!!
    Like · Reply · 2 · June 20 at 8:52am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

rubadub wrote: »
    new hardware shop open or opening in ballybrack shopping centre where the green grocer was.

It's one of the Costello sons from Costellos ("Expert Hardware") on Patrick street who has set up Ballybrack Hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Delizia (Leopardstown Road) seems to have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

Anyone know what they are doing on the Balyogan road? Seems to be a fair bit of development on the sports pitches that flank the Luas.

http://abkdublin.com/portfolio/samuel-beckett-civic-campus-ballyogan-co-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

Jaysus!

Good or bad jaysus.

I'm on the fence, finally getting facilities in the area I'm delighted with, worried about how some people will treat them.

Pretty impressive in fairness. Whether it will be respected and looked after is another thing but who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

another library? FFS!

Advertisement