Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yeah, if you have a car.

Anyway, second guessing Lidl on their locations is a bit silly. I'm sure they've done their research.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

stehyl15 wrote: »
    I think theyre building a lidl and some other shops

Nope, for checking the planning application it looks like its Lithuanian based chain who have multiple brands

http://www.maximagrupe.eu/maxima-stores-sizes/

Other sources say that's it a carrefour

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ted1 wrote: »
    Nope, for checking the planning application it looks like its Lithuanian based chain who have multiple brands

http://www.maximagrupe.eu/maxima-stores-sizes/

Other sources say that's it a carrefour

Doubt if Carrefour wanted to venture into Ireland that they would choose a tiny site with poor access roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Doubt if Carrefour wanted to venture into Ireland that they would choose a tiny site with poor access roads.

They have smaller shops like carrefour express

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

The planning file is here:

http://planning.dlrcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=D14A/0186&theTabNo=3

I read the planner's report, and had a quick look at the plans. It's permitted under the development plan, and the proposed works are minor, really. This is just a vexatious appeal by local NIMBYists. Their claim that it's a heritage town and multinationals shouldn't be there is incredibly snobby, and I hope the Bord rejects the appeal.

If and when it opens, I'll go out of my way to support it.

I read someone describe it earlier as akin to Ross O'Carroll-Kellys mam trying to send Funderland to the north side. It really is that ridiculous now.

There is a sense of arrogance and self-entitlement at play here, among a few self appointed 'local' business voices that lets down the whole area. Its called free market competition. Imagine the reverse was being attempted, thered be war.

Its one thing for people not to give their custom to a particular business but its quite another to try to vexatiously obstruct a business from having a go by stepping outside the planning process. And for the record there is no planning reason not to allow another coffee shop to open here.

Heather Humphreys and heritage towns? What a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Yep and quite embarrassed to be at the moment. All of this hostility over a multinational in the area is not only ridiculous. But, it's also dangerous. Some local people may try and say that objecting to a chain is for the protection and sustainability of local business. However, the bulk of the arguments that I've seen are criticizing it on the basis that it's a multinational organization. Some have gone the extra mile and slated it because it's from the UK. When it get's to this xenophobic stage, all credence for such arguments is lost. I would love to pose the following questions to those against it:

1. Would the same level of hostility arise if an Insomnia were to open up?
    2. A bit further from the cafe trade and while very doubtful, I wonder if Eddie Rockets would be slated if it were mooted to be opening in Dalkey?
    3. Finally, in the world of clothing or entertainment, would their be controversy over a HMV, Game Stop, H&M or Next in Dalkey?
    Either-way, I can see this debacle having a negative affect on the areas reputation which will further cement the snobbery stereotype frequently referenced in the Ross O' Carroll Kelly books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

By the way, the chains mentioned in questions 1 and 2 in my comment above are Irish. But, it's merely a test to see if the locale would object to chains if they were Irish. In other words, would a nationalist attitude cause them to change their minds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It sounds like there's opposition to anything that clashes with the "Heritage Town" moniker, Patrick. I'm not even sure where "Heritage Town" comes from. I don't recall the term being used in the DLR development plan. Clever bit of PR maybe.

• Advertisement

Somebody forged it once on a now faded iron sign on Castle Street. Watertight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When do they start boycotting the Dutch mega chain-store that's well embedded into the middle of the "heritage" town?

Fr%20Justin%20Belitz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Another ecig shop In Dun Laoghaire beside oxfam, they sell the wicked juices as far as I seen

F.X Buckley Butchers opened up in deansgrange yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Tabnabs wrote: »
    When do they start boycotting the Dutch mega chain-store that's well embedded into the middle of the "heritage" town?

It's now a Supervalu so Irish-owned, not that I'm saying the "campaign" against Caffe Nero has a point or anything.

It's now a Supervalu so Irish-owned, not that I'm saying the "campaign" against Caffe Nero has a point or anything.
    It's also a franchise, so locally owned too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's also a franchise, so locally owned too.

Really, cause they've a few shops spread around the place as part of their chain.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/rushe-retail-group-joins-supervalu-network-with-125m-refurbishment-252389.html

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Really, cause they've a few shops spread around the place as part of their chain.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/rushe-retail-group-joins-supervalu-network-with-125m-refurbishment-252389.html
    Killiney, Dalkey and stillorgan wouldn't exactly be considered as a big spread. Not sure where Naas fits into the picture

Killiney, Dalkey and stillorgan wouldn't exactly be considered as a big spread. Not sure where Naas fits into the picture

Naas fits in with the address for the directors, according to solocheck.ie. Sounds like they are from Kildare but maybe they have a interest or a connection to south county Dublin (or vice versa)?

But still underlines the point that their shop is part of a chain, not necessarily locally owned and at odds with a "heritage town" image (but in reality a necessity to any small town).

Makes it all a bit of a nonsense. Isn't Dalkey a village anyway? That's certainly what the locals call it. Needs a new brand manager...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Asian restaurant/take away that moved into the AbraKebra spot in DL is now an Apache Pizza/Different Asian restaurant/take away.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The Asian restaurant/take away that moved into the AbraKebra spot in DL is now an Apache Pizza/Different Asian restaurant/take away.
    They also have a new place in sallynoggin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wonder if Eddie Rockets would be slated if it were mooted to be opening in Dalkey?
    There was rumours of this at the start of this thread. People were saying they should expect backlash. I was saying they might purposely make it discrete like starbucks & mcdonalds sometimes do, or do it as part of its planning. e.g. like mcdonalds in the town hall in bray.

bray1-3-630x421.jpg
    photo-88_large.jpg?picture=2896452

O'Farells schoolwear in stillorgan has moved to the top floor while the sports shop has been renamed 'house of sport'

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 Terrible location for any kind of shop. Even the Travel Cafe beside Milanos struggles to get passing trade and they're virtually across the road from the Dart station and the bus stops.

You'd see that ice cream shop from the bus but by the time you decide you'd like a '99' you're 200m away getting off the bus at the Dart station at which point you'd not be bothered walking back because you'd be going in the wrong direction relative to the shops in Dun Laoghaire.

I'm pretty sure that most of the footfall along that section of the road is people who live in the immediate area. There is a bus stop just down the hill from the junction with Cumberland St., another one half way towards the Dart station and another one at the Dart station so there are very few if any non-residents walking along the street at that point. I wish them luck but can't see them lasting long.

We parked beside Scrumdiddlys when heading to Meadows and Byrne on Sunday, so we thought it rude not to pop in after our shopping. Place was (I thought) very busy with a queue out the door, it's very small though inside so once there's more than 5 or 6 people ordering a queue outside is inevitable (might be smart planning). The girl at the counter said it was actually quieter than it had been so it must be doing alright.

Anyways I can report that the Snickerbockerglory is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

We parked beside Scrumdiddlys when heading to Meadows and Byrne on Sunday, so we thought it rude not to pop in after our shopping. Place was (I thought) very busy with a queue out the door, it's very small though inside so once there's more than 5 or 6 people ordering a queue outside is inevitable (might be smart planning). The girl at the counter said it was actually quieter than it had been so it must be doing alright.

Anyways I can report that the Snickerbockerglory is delicious!
    Was excited to try out Scrumdiddly's myself on Monday after the Bay 10k.

In all their wisdom they weren't open. Even at 12.30pm. Dún Laoghaire was buzzing, they'd have made a killing had they opened early and thrown someone down toward the finish line with a few leaflets.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Was excited to try out Scrumdiddly's myself on Monday after the Bay 10k.

In all their wisdom they weren't open. Even at 12.30pm. Dún Laoghaire was buzzing, they'd have made a killing had they opened early and thrown someone down toward the finish line with a few leaflets.

That's crazy!

Vodafone shop in DL shopping centre closed. Sign says next one is in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I had Hot Wings from the new place in the Square the other day. Very tasty indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I had Hot Wings from the new place in the Square the other day. Very tasty indeed.

What's it called?

Advertisement