Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Synode wrote: »
    What's it called?

I'm guessing it's Just Wing It - can't post links = wingit dot ie

These guys make occasional appearances in the People's Park market, and their wings are also available in the Platform bar/restaurant in Bray. I'm a big fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Natural Bakery Company opened in Stillorgan Village and Dublin Meat Co opening beside Lidl in Stillorgan next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

These guys make occasional appearances in the People's Park market, and their wings are also available in the Platform bar/restaurant in Bray. I'm a big fan!

I was kinda hoping see them in the peoples Park today, haven't had them yet. But they're meant to be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Apache Pizza/Different Asian restaurant/take away.
    stehyl15 wrote: »
    They also have a new place in sallynoggin
    The one beside the butchers across from the church has been there a good while.

The Chinese is called Lam's. I thought the one in sallynoggin was a weird one off setup. But seems they have this mixture elsewhere, like how supermacs have the pappa joes pizza place in many of their outlets.

Just found this on facebook from years ago

Apache Pizza Greystones
    May 13, 2011
    Great News-apache pizza n lams chinese take away have moved to main st (cherry blosson restaurant),Here will have a big promotion on future notice

Seems an OK idea for groups of people ordering who cannot all decide on pizza or chinese. But I have heard comments like "I am not getting a pizza in the chinese" and vice versa on the chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

New dodgy looking phone/phone repair shop in dun laoghaire down on york road (extremely temporary looking shopfront) can still see old shopfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

New dodgy looking phone/phone repair shop in dun laoghaire down on york road (extremely temporary looking shopfront) can still see old shopfront.

So if you opened a phone repair shop in DL you'd splash out on a brand new shopfront - yeah?

Those phone shops are a dime a dozen these days, there's already one of them run by Chinese lads around the corner in George's St. a few doors up from Knowles old shop and there's more further up Georges St. opposite Penneys. There's no way any of them can afford to splash out on a new shopfront because all they do is sell covers, secondhand phones and do repairs, it's low margin and there's heaps of competition.

coylemj wrote: »
    So if you opened a phone repair shop in DL you'd splash out on a brand new shopfront - yeah?

Those phone shops are a dime a dozen these days, there's already one of them run by Chinese lads around the corner in George's St. a few doors up from Knowles old shop and there's more further up Georges St. opposite Penneys. There's no way any of them can afford to splash out on a new shopfront because all they do is sell covers, secondhand phones and do repairs, it's low margin and there's heaps of competition.

Yeah but they could at least get a coat of paint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

It appears as though a new ice cream store is opening up in Dalkey where the Layton Hair salon was until a few weeks ago. The store is part of a chain called "Bel Gelato" (stylized as "bel gelato"). They are based in the UK and Italy. It should be interesting to see how it does. They must be a relatively new chain given that there is no Wikipedia page about the chain or the parent group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

The Copy Centre in the Swan Centre has closed down. Also Aussie BBQ in Rathgar is closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It appears as though a new ice cream store is opening up in Dalkey where the Layton Hair salon was until a few weeks ago. The store is part of a chain called "Bel Gelato" (stylized as "bel gelato"). They are based in the UK and Italy. It should be interesting to see how it does. They must be a relatively new chain given that there is no Wikipedia page about the chain or the parent group.
    Looks like a franchise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sign outside the premises of the former Subway in Dun Laoghaire that says they'll be re-opening soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Are the the ones with two stores now on Grafton St? Seems overkill to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

notice the local businesses have no problem with a foreign business setting up in Dalkey, as long as it's not a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Charming Italian gelaterias are clearly much more in keeping with the self-proclaimed Heritage Town's image (Sorrento, Nerano, etc) than boxy cultureless American coffeeshops. Sarcasm aside, you gotta hand it to the Dalkey lobby groups/individuals. They do maintain a nice village - as long as you can afford to pay and don't need to commute too far or at all (Dalkey is as far from town as Swords is!).

notice the local businesses have no problem with a foreign business setting up in Dalkey, as long as it's not a cafe.

If its a franchise it may be locally owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Don't know if anyone has seen Hot Fuzz..?

It was on the box again over the weekend and all I could think of was, Dalkey!

"You're not even from round here!!"

attachment.php?attachmentid=6749&d=1338922686

Aard wrote: »
    Charming Italian gelaterias are clearly much more in keeping with the self-proclaimed Heritage Town's image (Sorrento, Nerano, etc) than boxy cultureless American coffeeshops.

Isn't Caffe Nero (the object of the current 'keep nasty foreigners out of Dalkey' campaign) a British operation?

Even if it is, don't let that affect your prejudice in favour of 'charming' Italian ice cream parlours which I'm sure are bursting with culture.

I really should have emphasised the sarcasm of my post. Yes, Dalkey shows double standards with respect to what kind of businesses are preferred by existing retailers.

I really should have emphasised the sarcasm of my post. Yes, Dalkey shows double standards with respect to what kind of businesses are preferred by existing retailers.

Apologies there Aard, you did such a good post as a cheerleader for the nimby brigade I thought you were for real!

• Advertisement

Not really, as their main basis of their complaints were about the number if existing places selling coffee.

ted1 wrote: »
    Not really, as their main basis of their complaints were about the number if existing places selling coffee.

So what if theres loads places selling coffee

So what if theres loads places selling coffee

Substainable urban planning.....

There's a difference between sustainability, and allowing the market to figure out which business work best. Planners are not allowed to intervene in market competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

ted1 wrote: »
    Substainable urban planning.....

In relation to coffee shops what the heck does that mean?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The Natural Bakery has opened in Stillorgan shopping centre opposite Tesco's hardware. (Old A-Wear unit, I think?) Their stuff looks gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In relation to coffee shops what the heck does that mean?!!

It doesnt mean anything specifically. As Aard says, the planners cant specify a particular business for a particular premises (look at failed Anne Summers campaign on O'Connell St) the Council can only adopt a development framework with general use objectives - e.g. 'residential amenity', 'neighbourhood centre' 'open space' 'economic development and employment' etc

In theory every outlet in Dalkey could be a coffee shop, but the market dictates that this isnt sustainable so the demand for coffee finds its own level. Except Starbucks of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wahesh32

A new Italian cafe opened up in the back of Blackrock market, right next to the fish & chips place. I think they do simple pizzas as well.

There's also a new tearoom called House of Teas on the Blackrock main street facing the Blackrock Library.

I haven't tried either yet, but they look nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

wahesh32 wrote: »
    A new Italian cafe opened up in the back of Blackrock market, right next to the fish & chips place. I think they do simple pizzas as well.

There's also a new tearoom called House of Teas on the Blackrock main street facing the Blackrock Library.

I haven't tried either yet, but they look nice.
    The tea rooms is nice. They do fancy pastries and stuff with the teas, and the tea menu is huge, hadn't heard of the vast majority of the blends on it.

Still, very odd business model to just sell teas and pastries, no sambos, no coffees, etc. Quite the novelty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Ron DMC wrote: »
    The tea rooms is nice. They do fancy pastries and stuff with the teas, and the tea menu is huge, hadn't heard of the vast majority of the blends on it.

Still, very odd business model to just sell teas and pastries, no sambos, no coffees, etc. Quite the novelty.

That's really limiting your market.

I don't drink tea so I would never step inside their door.

Advertisement