Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Chinasea wrote: »
    Alias G wrote: »
    Gosh memories are very short. Pubs, shops and restaurants have been closing down at unprecedented levels in over the past 7 years or so.

New starts are also emerging at an unprecedented rate. Forgive me for subscribing to the idea of free market economics.
    I'd be of the opinion that feedback be fed directly back to the propiter and moreso be interested to hear their response. I know I would, and my dependants would greatly appreciate the opportunity to address issues if it were my business, but to slate a business off publically frankly stinks.

Feedback is of course welcome and pro-active business's have plenty of scope to seek it out. But not everyone is comfortable with confronting poor service or sometimes may just wish to let it slide and that is their prerogative. A customer is under no obligation one way or the other. They are however perfectly entitled to express an opinion and I personally like to hear feedback through various fora in order to educate myself on how well local business are providing their services before making decisions as a customer. The majority of comment on here is positive so it is really nothing to get your nose out of joint for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Feedback is of course welcome and pro-active business's have plenty of scope to seek it out. But not everyone is comfortable with confronting poor service or sometimes may just wish A customer is under no obligation one way or the other. .
    But are comfortable attacking from behind a key board. Hardly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

But are comfortable attacking from behind a key board. Hardly fair.

It is perfectly fair. The onus is on a business to maintain standards and provide service. If they fail in that duty, we have every right to share that information. If someone/some business provides quality service, a customer is liable to tell two or three people about it. If they get particularly poor service, they are liable to tell everyone they meet. Business should rightfully live or die by their performance. Competition means we receive better quality overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I agree with that, Hotels now pretty much live or die by TripAdvisor and they engage with it actively. That said, if the business in question feels the complaint is excessive or vexatious they should have a right of reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Taken from the Charter:

"You are welcome to recommend or fairly criticize a product or company. But if you have a connection with the company or any other potential conflict of interest, please state this in your reply."

tnethacker gave his honest opinion, which he's entitled to hold and which he's entitled to post.

In this case, if people come to boards looking for opinions of the Three Tun Tavern, they might see tnethacker's comment, but by-and-large they'll find positive reviews. So in this case, reasonable people will say that's one bad experience against a whole host of positive reviews, so they shouldn't be negatively influenced simply by tnethacker's comment.

Chinasea, it's really not necessary for you to come to the defense of every business that gets criticised on this forum, and try to censor negative feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wowy wrote: »
    Rubadub gave his honest opinion, which he's entitled to hold and which he's entitled to post.
    That was not my comment by the way, it was a mix up on the quotes.

I would like to know more info about the problem with the meal.

I feel some people seem to have it in for Wetherspoons for either being a UK firm or just against big chains or something. If this was just a regular pub that opened I wonder if it would have got the same criticisim. If the food was "literally inedible" I would have sent it back, and actually I would have been more likely to do it in wetherspoons as they do have a reputation of serving somewhat decent & standardised food, just like mcdonalds, nothing brilliant but good value for the price.

If there is a pub in blackrock giving better value I would certainly like to know about it, that is what sometimes annoys me about blunt negative reviews, often when the person giving the negative review is pushed for more info they often cannot recommend a better alternative for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

rubadub wrote: »
    That was not my comment by the way, it was a mix up on the quotes.

Whoops, apologies, edited there.
    rubadub wrote: »

If there is a pub in blackrock giving better value I would certainly like to know about it, that is what sometimes annoys me about blunt negative reviews, often when the person giving the negative review is pushed for more info they often cannot recommend a better alternative for the same price.

I agree with the above re. it being excellent value for money.

I don't have much of a problem with posters posting blunt negative reviews, because if they can't give constructive reasons, people won't give their post as much weight compared to a detailed criticism. Those blunt posts can be filtered out easily enough if people are looking for reviews. I just had an issue with people trying to censor those posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Why don't we just rename this thread to "The bitch and moan and have a go at each other thread" ?

Can't we just keep it informative + a bit of friendly banter ?

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

wowy wrote: »
    Taken from the Charter:

Chinasea, it's really not necessary for you to come to the defense of every business that gets criticised on this forum, and t
    ry to censor negative feedback.
    I'm not one for stopping by gawking at the scene of someones misfortune, nor do I subscribe to public lashings. The public have no filter and many run a muck given half a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I've said this before on this forum but every business, no matter what or who they are, should never be immune from criticism, whether public or otherwise.

Review sites and forums should be encouraged not discouraged as it allows the public to make a more informed decision and also allows for healthy competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I've said this before on this forum but every business, no matter what or who they are, should never be immune from criticism, whether public or otherwise.

Review sites and forums should be encouraged not discouraged as it allows the public to make a more informed decision and also allows for healthy competition.

I wouldn't consider myself to have made an 'informed decision' if I based my view of the Three Tun Tavern in Blackrock on this hatchet job 'review', especially given that I ate there last week and thought the food was excellent....
    tnethacker wrote: »
    Horrible food, horrible service. Stay back unless you want to drink cheap drinks. The food is literally inedible.

That's the post that people above are commenting on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

coylemj wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider myself to have made an 'informed decision' if I based my view of the Three Tun Tavern in Blackrock on this hatchet job 'review', especially given that I ate there last week and thought the food was excellent....

That's because you shouldn't base your opinion on one review, you base it on the the reviews as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Review sites and forums should be encouraged not discouraged
    Worthwhile reviews should be encouraged, that review was poor as there was no decent info given.

For all we know the "inedible food" might have been a vindaloo he ordered thinking it was going to be a mild curry. Or a case of "the steak, chips & pint I got for €12 was inferior to the one I got in Chapter One for €100". And the "horrible service" might have been the fact he had to walk up to a counter and order food, which I think is usual in all wetherspoons.

When further questioned they might eventually admit it is by far the best value & food you will get in any pub in blackrock for that price.

There was some thread I read where someone was saying some product was horrible, something like heinz ketchup, upon further questioning the poster turned out to hate all ketchups!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

TBF, how could anybody even consider it a Review ?

tnethacker wrote:

Horrible food, horrible service. Stay back unless you want to drink cheap drinks. The food is literally inedible.

21/25

That's because you shouldn't base your opinion on one review, you base it on the the reviews as a whole.

The post I quoted was the only 'review' of the TTT in this forum.

And I visited the place after I read that so-called review so I don't need your advice on balance, thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix

I think people have a right to leave an honest review about their experiences with a company but I think you should have the stones to give your real name. Preferably you would inform a company of a bad experience first before jumping behind a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You must have had a completely different staff shift to the one I had in Wetherspoons, Blackrock on a Sunday evening recently as I found them all to be particularly friendly, smiling, making eye contact and ensuring you were looked after at all times. One minor faux pas was committed (not even worth mentioning what it was) but the apology and instant rectification of it just proved how efficient and professional they were to me. The staff came across as employees specifically trained in hospitality and customer service rather than just any old cheap untrained labour picked up off the street that is the blight of so many bars, restaurants and hotels in Ireland.

The food wasn't spectacular but it was good, tasty and reasonably priced. I didn't avail of the deals which were extremely good value but still got a pint, main course and extra side for 15 euro which is decent by any standard. The decor and ambience was nicer then the Wetherspoon pubs I recall in the UK so I would treat it as a place I'll go back to (which in my opinion is the best endorsement you can give a business).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

How about we get back the thread back on track and use if for openings & closures? Please start a separate thread on the right & wrong way to review somewhere else.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Just to clarify the new tk maxx in dundrum is beside rainforest near elverys also a new haloween pop up shop where hughes used to be opened up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

uch wrote: »
    TBF, how could anybody even consider it a Review ?

Check out tripadvisor for all the reviews... There's one made by me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The peoples park is having its official reopening on Friday evening

that was a one-off opening for Culture Night (don't see the connection myself, but..). Opening properly mid Oct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

that was a one-off opening for Culture Night (don't see the connection myself, but..). Opening properly mid Oct.

I think the whole thing has to be admired.

Admired for the vast improvement made to the area and the improved benefits it will bring.

Also admired for the way they've managed to drag the job out for as long as possible.

Does anyone know if these jobs are fixed price, or cost plus?

either way, someone has taken a hit; the page on dlrcoco's web site says it was due to be finished last December.

Still can't post links even though I joined 12 years ago!

either way, someone has taken a hit; the page on dlrcoco's web site says it was due to be finished last December.

Still can't post links even though I joined 12 years ago!

Here you go. In future post the URL anyway and another poster can repost it for you as a hotlink....

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Parks/Peoplespark_information.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think the whole thing has to be admired.

Admired for the vast improvement made to the area and the improved benefits it will bring.

Also admired for the way they've managed to drag the job out for as long as possible.

Apart from the overspecced granite and glass terrace with a view of the derelict baths, I cant really see what is different about the Park itself. The tea room/pavillion will be nice eventually but a pity it will be an expensive private outlet.

No idea what the contract is like, might be a good enquiry of one of your local councillors.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I wonder how long it will take for a path to be worn down in the grass from the central fountain to the main gate? While it may have looked lovely on paper to have everything orderly, the most direct route always winds out...

The cafe beside Teddys has now been reopened as Teddy's Promenade Cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Borza's is opening up a dine in pizza restaurant in Stepaside Village. It sounds like a fancy place instead of being just your average takeaway. Wood Fired oven for pizzas with etc. wine (and beer?) license.

They should be opening in a week or two as they have finished worked there just yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Borza's is opening up a dine in pizza restaurant in Stepaside Village. It sounds like a fancy place instead of being just your average takeaway. Wood Fired oven for pizzas with etc. wine (and beer?) license.

They should be opening in a week or two as they have finished worked there just yesterday.

Interesting

Advertisement