Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's a new Italian Gelato (Ice cream?) shop opened in Dalkey.

It's beside Gary's Gourmet Pizza's.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CatFromHue wrote: »

I believe the usual 'fortress Dalkey' suspects lodged objections to the change of use PP until the proprietor engaged this guy as his planning consultant...

tony_soprano.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Vodafone shop in DL shopping centre closed. Sign says next one is in Blackrock.
    It would be helpful if both Dun Laoghaire shopping centre and Vodafone would remove it from their shop listings so instead of having me walk around in circles today like fool. Winning back the high street (sic) indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Don't be surprised if another shop comes down from the top floor to fill that space.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Don't be surprised if another shop comes down from the top floor to fill that space.

I'm told the strategy of the centre managers is to close the top floor entirely and relocate the sitting tenants to floors 1 and 2. There aren't many left anyway, but there is difficulty accommodating the needs of the larger units that remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm told the strategy of the centre managers is to close the top floor entirely and relocate the sitting tenants to floors 1 and 2. There aren't many left anyway, but there is difficulty accommodating the needs of the larger units that remain.

What's the plan for the top floor then do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

frash wrote: »

They're going to take the roof off and turn it into an open air viewing deck.
    Apparently it's the only place in Dun Laoghaire from where the new library doesn't look a monstrosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

josip wrote: »
    They're going to take the roof off and turn it into an open air viewing deck.
    Apparently it's the only place in Dun Laoghaire from where the new library doesn't look a monstrosity.

People will still find a reason to moan about though

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

CatFromHue wrote: »

It's beside Gary's Gourmet Pizza's.

Is that on the main street ? My daughter will be delighted, she loves that Gelato stuff

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

uch wrote: »
    Is that on the main street ? My daughter will be delighted, she loves that Gelato stuff

It's on the squareabout opposite McDonaghs.

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »

Shut it up and mothball it, save on costs.

That's effectively what will happen because as soon as the tenants that are still there are shifted to the lower floors and the top floor is empty, it will be next to impossible to let any of the top floor units.

The only way they could rejuvenate the place as I see it would be get in the likes of TK-Maxx, if they opened on the top floor, it would increase the footfall and help the tenants on the lower floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre seems to have a website to view online. I have never even seen it before.

http://www.dlsc.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How about turn it in to office space and attract a tech company with a young well paid workforce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Because all the tech companies want to be in and around GCD/Barrow St. Sure, you have the Dart, and office space is contracting. But if you were to bother to upgrade the infrastructure of a single floor, you might as well go the whole hog and totally redevelop. Security etc is a big concern.

coylemj wrote: »
    That's effectively what will happen because as soon as the tenants that are still there are shifted to the lower floors and the top floor is empty, it will be next to impossible to let any of the top floor units.

The only way they could rejuvenate the place as I see it would be get in the likes of TK-Maxx, if they opened on the top floor, it would increase the footfall and help the tenants on the lower floors.

No, I meant I know for certain from a member of the centre admin that is actually what they are in the process of doing on purpose, emptying the top floor and blocking it off with no intention of re-letting it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

https://twitter.com/giddygoose/status/522038805227143168

The Giddy goose Cafe is to return to Dun Laogharie

ted1 wrote: »
    Word is , is that is an European equivalent to donnybrook fare.
    Look at who lodged the plan.

Superquinn had initially bought the site but sold it on.

Bilaro Limited was incorporated on 14 Jun 2012. The company's status is listed as "Live"and it currently has 2 directors. It was founded by Airidas Kondratas, Aurimas Zimnickas. Bilaro Limited does not have any child companies.

A quick search if the names throws up this:
    http://m.15min.lt/en/article/business/spanish-media-say-maxima-buys-supersol-for-one-euro-527-202425

It's as if I wrote the article 🙊
    http://www.shelflife.ie/new-top-end-retailer-enter-irish-market/

No, I meant I know for certain from a member of the centre admin that is actually what they are in the process of doing on purpose, emptying the top floor and blocking it off with no intention of re-letting it.

So if Tk-Maxx came along and offered them €1 a month to take the entire top floor for two years, the owners would decline the offer? I seriously doubt it. What the DLSC need is a big new tenant different from any of the stores in the area and Tk-Maxx would fit the bill perfectly. It would also secure some of the existing tenants who might be thinking of moving on and not renewing their leases. Shrinking the active floor space sends out the wrong message.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'd be surprised if they had no medium-term plan to re-let the top floor.

Top floors of shopping centres are funny places though. They tend to house shops like Habitat. Think of the other "top floors" in Dublin and the kinds of retailers there. I'm not sure the likes of TK Maxx would be interested in a top floor tbh. They rely on footfall and passers by. Even St Stephen's Green SC doesn't have any large retailers; in fact they're going to turn their top floor into a cinema. Very hard to know what to do with such a space.

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if they had no medium-term plan to re-let the top floor.

Top floors of shopping centres are funny places though. .......... Very hard to know what to do with such a space.

They could have turned it into a library.

DL centre attempted to get M&S in as a mass occupant a few years ago. It didnt happen and theyve hardly been overcome with interest since. TKMaxx are well served in the area.

Mothballing it means just that, it wont be an area open to customers. But its hardly a modern or impressive space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

coylemj wrote: »
    What the DLSC need is a big new tenant different from any of the stores in the area and Tk-Maxx would fit the bill perfectly. It would also secure some of the existing tenants who might be thinking of moving on and not renewing their leases. Shrinking the active floor space sends out the wrong message.

Actually no, they don't. Shopping as we know it, is for the moment a thing of the past. Life styles and trends have changed. Like pubs, travel agents, etc., they are superfluous to our needs.

It really is time to realize this, and rezone the umpteen empty shops, pubs and vacant decaying buildings back for residential usage. There is after all a shortage of housing.

Perhaps then, bit by bit smaller local shops will start to make a come-back, but why wait and see whilst living among squalid, depressing, decaying empty shops while people are forced to commute from the likes of Arklow and further a field to work in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ted1 wrote: »
    How about turn it in to office space and attract a tech company with a young well paid workforce

Floor plate would not be in any way suitable for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Tbh ile say this straight the best for dlsc is the steel ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Ha it took me a minute to decipher that

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

Tbh ile say this straight the best for dlsc is the steel ball

And take the carpark out as well..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

And the library while you've got the demolition crew there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I see the Silver Tassie is closed and boarded up.

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I see the Silver Tassie is closed and boarded up.

I heard mention of Avoca buying them and the cottage close by.

Advertisement