Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I saw a Halloween shop in Bloomfields today, and walking back along also noticed that Totterdells has closed down. At the other end of DL, the DL Pharmacy has relocated from the corner to a few doors up the road, and the old Pierrot is getting fitted out for something.

Apologies if any of that is old news, I haven't been around for a few weeks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Totterdells is a funny one as they never came into my mind when I would be thinking of electrical goods. I walked by them the other day and was almost surprised to see an electrical goods shop in DL!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I see the Silver Tassie is closed and boarded up.

The barman was saying its being constructed into a wine bar. They will have an off licence where the old bar was and there will be a small bar put in the far left corner of the old lounge. That's what he said, cant see a wine bar taking off in that location

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Totterdells is a funny one as they never came into my mind when I would be thinking of electrical goods. I walked by them the other day and was almost surprised to see an electrical goods shop in DL!!

went into them twice over the summer to get small things - cable connectors and adapters - they never had anything in and I ended up having to go to Power City. Bring back Knowles!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

mr.jingle wrote: »
    The barman was saying its being constructed into a wine bar. They will have an off licence where the old bar was and there will be a small bar put in the far left corner of the old lounge. That's what he said, cant see a wine bar taking off in that location

Maybe they're targetting Tullyvale residents?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

A new shop called PURE is opening in cornelscourt beseide the credit union

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

There's been a lot of shop fitting in the Swan Centre recently. Anyone any idea what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Is the old Playwright finally being developed and if so any idea into what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I heard Starbucks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tesco express last I heard. Ironically that neck of the woods is crying out for a medium size,well run, neighbourhood battle cruiser.

• Advertisement

Subway is also opening up in the new londis in cornelscourt

Pizza hut delivery opened up in belfield also does anyone know what happening with that firehouse pizza place on the rock road sign saying opening soon up for about 6 months now never seen any work happening with the place

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

mr.jingle wrote: »

I used to love Silver Tassie but this sounds like a plan that is deemed to fail. There isn't enough residents nearby to support such a bar :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Looks like there's a new coffee shop called Grounds opening up in Sandyford village. I'm a bit skeptical about whether there's enough footfall in the area for it to succeed. The newsagents that was in the same unit previously closed after about 6 months, so I don't hold out too much hope. Still, it'd be great if it did succeed. I'll be doing my best to put a bit of business their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I was passing through Monkstown yesterday and it seems like it's all go at the moment. There's a new Kanoodle above Goggins. It's not entirely clear whether it's take away or sit down, but given the places that were there before I imagine it's sit down. Then there's a new surf & turf place above Spar, but I can't remember the name. Cafe Journal seems to be expanding to the premises next door which used to be a sports outlet. And finally the shop that was Eno Wines looks like it's being refurbed as a restaurant.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

zagmund wrote: »
    I was passing through Monkstown yesterday and it seems like it's all go at the moment.
    Seems to be common recently in certain "village" areas of South Dublin. Donnybrook now has a new pub, several new cafes, a new Grafton Barber, a jewellers and an estate agency. Almost no empty units, quite a difference compared to 2-3 years ago. Ditto Stillorgan SC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Teddy's have opened up a restaurant beside their shop.

On a related note I was walking by Scrum Diddily's about 8 or 8.30 last night and there people in it but by the time I got to Teddy's it was all shut up.

Scrum Diddily's does seem to be doing some good business.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix

I'm currently scouting for a good location to set up my own cafe, anywhere in the greater Dublin area, so if anyone has suggestions of places that might be suitable for such a venture I'd love to hear about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Stumbled upon the lovely Cottage Tea Rooms in Firhouse/Knocklyon. Wasn't sure it was even open, but talking to the other people inside, it's hugely popular. Plenty of free parking outside also and lovely to walk along the Dodder.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cottage-Tea-Rooms/716946968387368

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CatFromHue wrote: »
    On a related note I was walking by Scrum Diddily's about 8 or 8.30 last night and there people in it but by the time I got to Teddy's it was all shut up.

Scrum Diddily's does seem to be doing some good business.

went there once, very underwhelmed to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jontronix wrote: »
    I'm currently scouting for a good location to set up my own cafe, anywhere in the greater Dublin area, so if anyone has suggestions of places that might be suitable for such a venture I'd love to hear about it.

Point Village, huge number of offices currently served by one Spar and the dearest Costa in the world; hundreds more staff for Yahoo imminent (although they might have their own canteen)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

MYOB wrote: »
    Point Village, huge number of offices currently served by one Spar and the dearest Costa in the world; hundreds more staff for Yahoo imminent (although they might have their own canteen)

Wouldn't be surprised, I believe Microsoft in Sandyford had an inhouse Starbucks long before they opened any retail branches in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

Just up in Carrickmines retail park today.... Currys and PC world amalgamated, DFS sofa unit about to open, Power city up and running. Notice in Costa Cafe for staff for proposed new unit in Nutgrove. ...would that be in the shopping centre or in one of adjacant retail areas eg where Aldi /Lild are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

cobham wrote: »
    Just up in Carrickmines retail park today.... Currys and PC world amalgamated, DFS sofa unit about to open, Power city up and running. Notice in Costa Cafe for staff for proposed new unit in Nutgrove. ...would that be in the shopping centre or in one of adjacant retail areas eg where Aldi /Lild are?

I have a friend who works for a large retailer with about 12 stores in Ireland. the one at carrickmines is pretty much carrying the rest, it's almost half their turn over.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was there for work at 9 on a weekday a few weeks back and the place was busy. Astounds me considering when it opened and how non built up the area was before

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fallon & Byrne cafe is now open in the People's Park in DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Tried doing a bit of sleuthing but to no great avail -- is the Costa Coffee opening up in the cylindrical building on the corner across the road from Nutgrove SC? The one that's been permanently vacant?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

Aard wrote: »
    Tried doing a bit of sleuthing but to no great avail -- is the Costa Coffee opening up in the cylindrical building on the corner across the road from Nutgrove SC? The one that's been permanently vacant?

I had a look too but couldn't see anything. It would be great if something went into that building.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Aard wrote: »

My own sleuthing has confirmed the above.

https://www.facebook.com/comma.architects/posts/716421835056507

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

Good, now I just want somewhere to get a paper and a cashmachine on that side of the road ... :)

Advertisement