Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Signs have gone up at the silver tassie. Something something wines.

Here's their website http://www.whelehanswines.ie/About-David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Looks like there's another ice cream place called Bonkers going in to where Subway used to be on Marine Rd in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tabnabs wrote: »

Lots of OTT 'reviews' on FB, this one was posted at 12:40 p.m. on the day they opened......

'Thank you for the amazing food!! We had a great night food was delicious xxx'

LOL

Hint for writing a fake review: never, ever, ever use the word 'amazing'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the pics of their breakfasts would put me off going there, all looks burnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

ted1 wrote: »
    Signs have gone up at the silver tassie. Something something wines.

looked like it was open yesterday
    mhge wrote: »
    Looks like there's another ice cream place called Bonkers going in to where Subway used to be on Marine Rd in Dun Laoghaire.

jaysus, that's a bit of a growth industry at the moment. Good location for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

I thought subway were reopening

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I reckon they saw how well Scrumdiddly's were doing and think they can take their business away with a more central location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

stehyl15 wrote: »
    I thought subway were reopening

So did I, but looks like they changed their mind. I like subs actually :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I reckon they saw how well Scrumdiddly's were doing and think they can take their business away with a more central location.

I believe they already know the DL ice cream market very well, scratch the surface and some old names come into the equation... ;)

• Advertisement

Cavistons Junior pop up shop has opened in Glasthule in the unit opposite Murtaghs. Christmas shop with coffee to go. Cavistons have bought the entire building with the local rumour being that the restaurant will move from its current location to the old Bistro Vino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Cavistons Junior pop up shop has opened in Glasthule in the unit opposite Murtaghs. Christmas shop with coffee to go. Cavistons have bought the entire building with the local rumour being that the restaurant will move from its current location to the old Bistro Vino.

Hmm.. seems to be taking an element or two from Roberts of Dalkey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Kingp35 wrote: »

wouldn't be difficult, the stuff SD sells is mediocre at best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

coylemj wrote: »
    Lots of OTT 'reviews' on FB, this one was posted at 12:40 p.m. on the day they opened......

'Thank you for the amazing food!! We had a great night food was delicious xxx'

LOL

Hint for writing a fake review: never, ever, ever use the word 'amazing'

It was open the previous night for family and friends, so not a fake review. Probably just biased.

Hmm.. seems to be taking an element or two from Roberts of Dalkey!

rumour was confirmed to me verbally today, they are starting to fit upstairs out for a restaurant in January.

Further Glasthule Breaking News: Le Petit Couchon (sp?)/Tribes was getting a coat of paint and is planned to reopen in January, leaving the former Peggy's Bakery as the only vacant commercial premises in Glasthule [Marine house looks like it is going residential]..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What happened with Peggy's does anyone know?

It just seemed to shut with no notice I thought.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What happened with Peggy's does anyone know?

It just seemed to shut with no notice I thought.

the couple running it retired - they had been trying to sell it as a going concern but that didn't happen. I heard that a city-based bakery subsequently bought it. A skip appeared outside it yesterday so there may be a sign of progress.

So was in The 40Ft Wetherspoons last night. A little mini review in bullet form - keep in mind it was opening night and crowd might not be the same most nights:

1. Full of Kids, yes it was Tuesday but definitely spotted a few 17 year olds in there. Very Young Crowd overall, a lot of college people maybe?

2. This place is very open, you walk in and feel like everyone is looking at you. It is very bright, lights up full everywhere (not really my cup of tea). Tables/ledges with chairs everywhere, not really any area where you would see many standing, maybe in front of bar.

3. The drink selection is decent, (Obv no Guinness or Heineken) but there is plenty to choose from. 33cl bottle of Brooklyn Lager for €2.45 is ridiculously good.

4. Staff are nearly younger than the kids at the bar! Young = Inexperienced, get frustrated easily and slow service, for the most part. They were friendly though, so can't fault them there. Like any new bar, the team will get better at working together and the work routine will become more refined and service should improve.

These Kids whilst not being great are working for peanuts (I overheard them saying that at the bar, which obviously shouldn't happen) so if you're getting good service, please take some of those savings from the ridiculously cheap drink and tip your servers. They'll thank you for it.

5. Didn't eat personally but everyone I spoke to said the food was awful, one describing a chicken fillet burger like so; "If I'd have thrown it at the window, it would probably have smashed. It was rock hard."

6. The place is more like an Airport Bar, or Hotel Lobby. Hard to get comfortable in the surroundings, and the No Music is just stupid. I won't be going too often but still wish them all the best.

Score out of ten? 3 or 4 maybe (just my opinion).

I went for lunch today, quite a "senior" crowd in with a few foreign languages being spoken also. Not everything was working tap wise at the upstairs bar, only one of the cask ales was connected. Staff were young with a couple of older UK people working also. But very pleasant and keen to make an impression. I got food which was quite nice, certainly excellent value for money. The view from upstairs was impressive and would be stunning on a summers evening. No music, no tv, no bar stools, it's a 'Spoons through and through.

My rating, 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Golden Ball looked very busy on Saturday when driving past, lots of work going on. See their fb page is running.

It's an amazing pub and my local. The interior is a mix of modern and something from the past. Nice place to have a pint and a beef burger :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I understand the pet shop in Dalkey is closing on Wednesday.

the Mermaid restaurant around the corner from there looks shuttered as well.

That pet shop has been there a long time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The couple who own the shop are retiring as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

tnethacker wrote: »
    It's an amazing pub and my local. The interior is a mix of modern and something from the past. Nice place to have a pint and a beef burger :)

Strange they haven't put their menu on fb page, I don't live too far away and could be a nice place if menu suits. Must pop up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Strange they haven't put their menu on fb page, I don't live too far away and could be a nice place if menu suits. Must pop up soon.

It's your basic pub grub. 2 Burgers, 3 salads, 3 steaks and then the basics, but it all looks nice. Prices from 7.95 - 25.95. I'll take a picture later on from the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Subway is too open in cornelscourt on the 7th january

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

was passing nutgrove retail park today and see a builders sign in 1 of the units saying they are doing a fit out for a Costa Coffee outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Somebody mentioned upthread that Costa will occupy the cylindrical corner building, its first use.

Have to say very sneaky move pulled by Whiskey Fair on New Years' eve.

Announced on Social Media that they would be serving until 2am, so a group of us (30-40ppl) decided this would be a happy alternative to going to town and still avail of longer serving without having the hustle and bustle of town on New Year's eve.

Finished serving at normal hour of half 12 and we were booted out sharpish after already having spent hundreds upon hundreds in there that night.

Very underhanded and sneaky ploy to get a few extra people in to the place to make a quick buck. Guaranteed we will not be returning in those sorts of numbers again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

^Their facebook page said 01:00. Did you contact them about it?

Advertisement