Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

qb123 wrote: »
    Oh no!! W&C looked to be working very well, good food at a reasonable price. Hard to see Carluccio's doing as well, especially when larger Caviston's opens up.

as well as Cavistons, the restaurant that used to be Tribes is getting done up at the moment. It's going to be quite the wee boulevard along there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Always peed me off that it wasn't called the Frescati Centre.

Um, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

fjon wrote: »
    Um, why?

Because that is what it was originally called

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frescati_House

Frescati, according to that article was itself a deliberate misspelling of Frascati, but I didn't know that in the 80s. So I'd still like to call it Frescati if that's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The Frascati centre in Blackrock has been granted planning permission for a huge extension

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/67m-plan-will-double-size-of-shopping-centre-30917783.html

To do what exactly. Sit with empty units.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

There's huge demand for high end retail in Blackrock.

• Advertisement

Well hopefully, but some of the big shops are a bit quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Chinasea wrote: »
    Well hopefully, but some of the big shops are a bit quiet.

If there was a full size M&S in the place instead of the mini version that's there now, it would attract an awful lot more people to the place.

coylemj wrote: »
    If there was a full size M&S in the place instead of the mini version that's there now, it would attract an awful lot more people to the place.

And we're sure Debenhams won't bail....
    let's fill all the empty units first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Another knife into Dun Laoghaire. Although fair play to Frascati for putting their money where their mouth is, if theyre confident itll be a money maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Carluccios in Glasthule? wow.

I've been to Weafer and Cooper quite a few times and its only in the last year I haven't been disappointed. So I'm sad to see it go, but Carluccios is a fantastic chain that will be a big plus for the village.

I've found the Dawson St CArluccio's to be quite inconsistent compared to the ones I frequent in London (were I live most of the time). That being said, they have moved more to an integrated chain over the past year or so and I think there is less focus on ingredients and a general reduction in standards across many of the London ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wonder how the proposed new Frescati centre will effect traffic, it gets pretty busy in Blackrock already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Marcusm wrote: »
    I've found the Dawson St CArluccio's to be quite inconsistent compared to the ones I frequent in London (were I live most of the time). That being said, they have moved more to an integrated chain over the past year or so and I think there is less focus on ingredients and a general reduction in standards across many of the London ones.

That's a shame, but I guess it's inevitable the bigger it gets.

Chinasea wrote: »
    And we're sure Debenhams won't bail....
    let's fill all the empty units first.

It may seem odd to be expanding a SC where there are currently units sitting idle but the overall size of the place is the issue - the empty units are not going to be filled until they get another 'big name' store into the place. That's the current problem and the reason for the expansion.

Directly competing units in the same shopping centre seems to be the new world order, there's now two opticians in Stillorgan SC and Frascati has a Boots and a Lloyds (pharmacy) in a relatively small SC.

I can't see any reason why two big stores selling clothes couldn't survive and thrive in an expanded Frascati. Look at all the units selling clothes in Dundrum - much bigger I know but if Frascati expands by 75% or more, they will have to get another big clothes store or Dundrum will continue to scoop up the lion's share of mobile shoppers' cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Omni Shopping Centre in Santry has seen a good few openings over the last few months.

Nandos
    Peacocks (clothing store
    H&M
    Lidl

Southside thread in case you didnt know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

stehyl15 wrote: »

Yeah, get outta here!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

stehyl15 wrote: »

Whoops! sorry, didn't see that :P deleted it

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭spillit67

The Frascati centre in Blackrock has been granted planning permission for a huge extension

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/67m-plan-will-double-size-of-shopping-centre-30917783.html

Always peed me off that it wasn't called the Frescati Centre.

Brave considering the trends worldwide with shopping centres

spillit67 wrote: »

Been to Dundrum lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭spillit67

Dundrum is busy obviously but in the West the trend is shopping malls are under strain and we can see that on our doorstep. People have been talking about online sales killing large chain stores for years and whilst it happened with books/music/dvds (see HMV, Waterstones) in the past few years this is hitting clothing stores more and more now as people trust putchasing clothes/footwear online.

Not saying I necessarily disagree with the move. If you look at the area you have Stillorgan (which has repositioned themselves smartly focusing on food/cafes/restaurants), Blackrock Shopping Centres (small units), Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre (so many problems) and Bloomfields (small). There is scope for another larger centre but I will be interested to see what they plan on doing inside with it. It's a brave move but to be applauded.

spillit67 wrote: »

Really that trend pertains to US strip malls in the main. Low population density, suburban, car oriented, built in the 70s/80s/90s. Blackrock has a highish population density for outside Dublin city centre. It's an established business district. There's excellent bus, rail, and car access. The area is one of the most affluent in the country. I wouldn't call it brave to expand a shopping centre there -- more like a no brainer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Excellent bus and car access? That road is a f***ing nightmare at the best of times.

I agree with the rest of what you said though.

A topman/topshop/river island and a burrito place in there would nail down 2 markets that nobody else is ticking anywhere near the area.

Bigger does not mean better. Do you think a TK Max, a Zara, yada yada on every street corner is the saving grace. Dundrum is here to stay, no competing with that. But before extending, fill the umpteen spaces first. Shopping trends have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Are there any empty units in Frascati currently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

There is simply no middle tier clothes shopping in Blackrock/DL/Stillorgan for a 30+ woman like me. It's either plastic tat in Penneys, middle age focus in M&S/Debenhams/Shaws/Stillorgan, or super pricy boutiques. A-Wear in Stillorgan is gone, Vero Moda in Bloomfields is tiny (I wouldn't consider Bloomfields a SC anyway, it's a Tesco with a few shops attached). A good mix of Zara/Parfois/River Island/French Connection type of shops would bring a whole new audience to the area. A TK Maxx would bring in crowds.

TK Maxx in Dundrum and Carrickmines is plenty for the catchment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Only if you drive and like huge centres... Apart from the residents, there's plenty of people living on the DART line, who would like to do their shopping after school/work without going inland - but there's really nothing on the coast right now. For teenagers it's hard to get to Dundrum from where 75 doesn't go, and harder even to Carrickmines.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    TK Maxx in Dundrum and Carrickmines is plenty for the catchment.

That's really up for TK Maxx to decide though. There's so much money in and around Blackrock that you can't really measure things simply by distance. And as mentioned Carrickmines is car-oriented, and its Luas catchment doesn't overlap with Blackrock's catchment. Dundrum is the only competitor in town, but Blackrock is easier to get to from Dublin 4 and most places east of the N11. The two can comfortably co-exist, especially in affluent south Dublin.

I agree that there is room for both centres, and about the money locally, but I think the new retail space in Blackrock will have a higher potential value than a TK Maxx outlet. John Lewis comes to mind.

I agree that there is room for both centres, and about the money locally, but I think the new retail space in Blackrock will have a higher potential value than a TK Maxx outlet. John Lewis comes to mind.

+1 it would be a seriously bad move for the refurbished & expanded Frascati if a big slice of it was taken by TK-Maxx which is primarily populated by tyre kickers and not real shoppers. The nature of their stock is that you go in looking for a bargain from 'end of line' stuff they pick up from other stores. Most times I go in I come out empty handed.

• Advertisement

Oh right, if that's what you meant then I completely misunderstood you. Yep, I agree that the more pricey shops are likely to be able to afford whatever rent the centre will have to charge to make a profit. I wouldn't even be surprised if Apple set up there, for example.

Advertisement