Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

The French childrens clothes in dundrum beside the art and hobby shop closed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The third floor in Dundrum is so strange. I think it's the huge blank wall of Tesco opposite the bakery that ruins any sense of continuity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I agree that there is room for both centres, and about the money locally, but I think the new retail space in Blackrock will have a higher potential value than a TK Maxx outlet. John Lewis comes to mind.

Please God, no.

A John Lewis in Blackrock would be my wife's dream come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Please God, no.

A John Lewis in Blackrock would be my wife's dream come true.

Same. When living in Edinburgh I used to leave the roofbox on my car solely to stop my wife getting into JL's car park there. :eek:

Back on thread, the former Tribes/Le Petit Cochon premises in Glasthule is reopening as the Cookbook Cafe. They have an ad in the window looking for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Any news on when the supermarket will be open in Shankill Shopping Centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

New restaurant open in Monkstown today, Cinnamon, not sure if been mentioned already

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Any news on when the supermarket will be open in Shankill Shopping Centre?

I was driving past that place a week ago and didn't see anything yet there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

The post office in Foxrock is closing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

stehyl15 wrote: »
    The post office in Foxrock is closing

No way??? What about Anne and Nicola? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That's great news for Blackrock. Is the centre going to continue to be open while construction begins this summer?

How long is the length of construction for the new Frascati Centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That's great news for Blackrock. Is the centre going to continue to be open while construction begins this summer?

How long is the length of construction for the new Frascati Centre?

Is it beginning this summer? Youd have to ask the owners, its a private development

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Dubl07 wrote: »
    No way??? What about Anne and Nicola? :(

It's been overdue for a while, the unit itself is like a hark back to the 1980's, wires randomly everywhere and nothing spent on maintaining it, the owner's done well enough for themselves out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Anyone know if there's any plans to fill the 2 empty units in Park Pointe?

Anyone know if there's any plans to fill the 2 empty units in Park Pointe?

Nothing pending according to the chatty Scots girl in Boots. Only 90 odd to fill in Dun Laoghaire first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Nothing pending according to the chatty Scots girl in Boots. Only 90 odd to fill in Dun Laoghaire first.

Rezone empty units back to housing. Look at fab job done on empty storage unit on Sussex Street.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Rezone empty units back to housing. Look at fab job done on empty storage unit on Sussex Street.

Not a bad idea, the units above the shops should certainly be incentivised to become homes, then you'd have custom for shops in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Does that Boots even do much business? Any time ive been in there it seems empty. Costa and Tesco always relatively busy.

I think a staples or something to that order would do well in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

The existing zoning in Dun Laoghaire town is "MTC" - Major Town Centre. This zoning allows residential use. Planning permission for change of use would be needed first.

As part of the 2015 budget, the council voted to charge partial rates for empty shops which were previously exempt from rates. Landlords wrote to me afterwards to express their anger about this decision. However, I expect that taxing vacant commercial properties will reduce the vacancy rate and encourage applications for change of use to residential.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Zoning isn't an issue, it's zoned MTC (Major Town Centre) with Residential permitted in principle. The problem is units are all seperately owned, so owners either don't have capital, or aren't incentivised enough*, to convert the use of their own individual property. We won't see much progress until a critical mass/tipping point of units are converted, but as above there's no capital/incentive to even get that far.....

*Policy RES4 in Ch5 of the 2010-2016 Dev Plan has a "Living Over the Shop" scheme, and chapter 16.3.4 (development management) does permit relaxations of development standards for the scheme (i.e. car parking, private open space requirements) for owners that convert upper floors. Ultimately though they're not going to be enough by themselves to incentivise owners.

Also, that would only suffice for resi on upper floors; it wouldn't be possible to get much resi on street level. So there'd still be the current problem of vacant commercial units. It's a shame, it would be great to see units renovated and people living in the town, but it's easy to see that owners just don't have the capital.

Edit.

Wasn't aware of the rates change above. That might force owner's hands. I still think we won't see much resi development at street level though, as the council planners don't like "dead frontages" (which is what a resi unit on a commercial street would arguably constitute (I accept that they're dead frontages if they're vacant....)).

The Old Dun Laoghaire fire station (part of it) and adjoining abandoned festering council yard and buildings are such a disgraceful waste of space. Just revampvthe damn things.

• Advertisement

The existing zoning in Dun Laoghaire town is "MTC" - Major Town Centre. This zoning allows residential use. Planning permission for change of use would be needed first.

As part of the 2015 budget, the council voted to charge partial rates for empty shops which were previously exempt from rates. Landlords wrote to me afterwards to express their anger about this decision. However, I expect that taxing vacant commercial properties will reduce the vacancy rate and encourage applications for change of use to residential.

I think I saw an application to return one of the houses offices on Georges St opposite the Adelphi back to residential

from todays Irish Times
    Fine dining in Glasthule It was Tribes, became Le Petit Cochon and from the middle of next month it will be The Cookbook Cafe. The restaurant in Glasthule in south Dublin is being reopened by chef Audrey McDonald. The idea sprang from her love of cookbooks and she’s putting her extensive collection on the shelves for thumbing in idle moments. (Always more relaxing than screen-tapping). The restaurant will have 50 covers and nominate a cookbook of the week every week. She struggles to condense the food offering into two snappy sentences, which is a good sign in my book.
    After 25 years cooking, mainly as a private caterer, it’ll be Ottolenghi-RiverCafe-Bobby Flay inspired. “I dislike fussiness on a plate and sometimes imperfect can be perfect. Roasting is my favourite style of cooking. I adore the natural caramelisation of food and how it can completely change the flavour.” There might be cookery demos too. Music is sorted too. McDonald’s husband Tom Dunne is being roped in to host vinyl Saturday brunches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

from todays Irish Times

Sounds decent actually.

Which Unit is this opening in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sounds decent actually.

Which Unit is this opening in?

The old Tribes restaurant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think the guy from The Restaurant, the maître D, is involved with that somehow.

I think I saw an application to return one of the houses offices on Georges St opposite the Adelphi back to residential

number 97, opposite McDonalds

Hopefully it's the start of a trend. Would love to see more of the vacant units above shops converted to housing as well.

How long has the old CBC school and Senior college Eblana Avenue being sitting idle. What a sham, that too should be rezoned, revamped and utilised. What the heck are they waiting for.

How long has the old CBC school and Senior college Eblana Avenue being sitting idle. What a sham, that too should be rezoned, revamped and utilised. What the heck are they waiting for.

It is rezoned and its only been idle since the end of the last school year when the senior college moved. It was used as a tourist hostel for a long while, the CBS closed down in 1992.

The heck 'they' are waiting for, is for the site and the owner to no longer be tied up with NAMA, like half the City, I imagine.

It is rezoned and its only been idle since the end of the last school year when the senior college moved. It was used as a tourist hostel for a long while, the CBS closed down in 1992.

The heck 'they' are waiting for, is for the site and the owner to no longer be tied up with NAMA, like half the City, I imagine.

Yea, the "I'd imagine" is the problem. It'll fester, fester fester. I would love to be proven wrong.

• Advertisement

I find it very odd that DL can't support a single secondary school.

Advertisement