Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

coylemj wrote: »
    People like me go to Eddie Rockett's and McDonalds because you know what you're getting and you get served up the same product no matter where you go, that's the business model behind those franchises. I fail to see the value-add in getting my hair cut by someone who trades as a franchisee.
    Support independent local businesses.
    Me arse.
    To be fair, at least in the case of the older GB outlets, the senior staff circulate between multiple outlets, so it's not as if they're completely independent franchises that only share a name. Besides, when it comes to barbers and hairdressers, consistency is almost impossible to find. Whether the business is independent or part of a chain, you'll find that the competency even within a single location varies dramatically. High staff turnover makes this an even bigger problem.

More broadly speaking, if consumers only supported once-off independent shops at the expense of anywhere with multiple outlets, centres like Stillorgan would be empty. Like it or not, it's Donnybrook Fair and Starbucks that have primarily revitalised Stillorgan SC, indirectly bringing increased footfall to other smaller retailers in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ted1 wrote: »
    If the brand name doesn't add value why would an independent barber pay for it?
    A reconisgned brand name is an valuable thing in buisness. Why do you think Starbucks is so successful ? Or why is everyone talking about wetherspoons when there is some independent bars offering great value?

Please stop quoting brand names to do with businesses which sell a tangible product across the counter. What we're discussing here is a service business.

I can see why people would put money into a franchise, it gives them a headstart because on day one they have a recognised brand name over the door. My point is that if the business is about delivering a service like cutting hair or mending leaks in your kitchen tap, there really isn't much to differentiate them from the independent guy next door beyond the logo they operate under which in most cases provides nothing in terms of value-add.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

.....when it comes to barbers and hairdressers, consistency is almost impossible to find. Whether the business is independent or part of a chain, you'll find that the competency even within a single location varies dramatically. High staff turnover makes this an even bigger problem.

Q.E.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭spillit67

The Grafton Barber is a franchise - you get an otherwise independent barber cutting your hair and he is paying someone cash to use a brand name which has zero value add. At least with McDonalds there's some consistency in the product!

Maybe you go in case you might bump into one of their celebrity clients.... (hint: make a pot of tea while you wait for the data to download) ...

http://graftonbarbers.com/celebrity-clients/

Most of the links on their 'Press' webpage don't work (404 file not found) ....

http://graftonbarbers.com/press/

Personally I'd go up to the Polish barber near the credit union.

I guess hotel chains don't count so.

Grafton Barber do actually have pretty strict quality control to work there and are known for decent cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Q.E.D.
    How do you figure? As I said, at least there is some level of quality control between branches, although of course there will be differences between junior and senior staff. From my experiences with independent barbers, it's completely a shot in the dark. You've made no argument for why that's a better option, beyond some vague dislike around franchises.

Any way this is completely off-topic for this thread. Somewhat related, Grafton Barber have also opened a shop in Cornelscourt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Any way this is completely off-topic for this thread. Somewhat related, Grafton Barber have also opened a shop in Cornelscourt.

About a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mano bano

jpfahy wrote: »
    I see two big signs on the windows of Alex's Lucky Lotto newsagents in Dun Laoghaire "Closing Down". Corrs have gone in the last week or so and I notice the new barbers at the front of the shopping centre is gone and Maud's Ice Cream inside looks gone too. A tipping point has been reached I think.

Corrs have opened a uniform shop up the top of Patrick St

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Lep Inn is rumoured to have changed hands. I know the guys behind Bath Pub in Sandymount were pursuing it. Anyone know if that's who's bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

http://www.shelflife.ie/plans-scrapped-for-new-top-end-dublin-retail-concept/

It seems that the new store will not be opened in Shankill as the investor got cold feet about it. This is just insane as the place was almost done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

tnethacker wrote: »

It seems that the new store will not be opened in Shankill as the investor got cold feet about it. This is just insane as the place was almost done!

Was just about to post the same story. Sad that it will lie idle again until it's sold on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

tnethacker wrote: »

Disappointed! Who could be in the market to buy a store this size? Too big for convenience, too small for full size...

mhge wrote: »
    Disappointed! Who could be in the market to buy a store this size? Too big for convenience, too small for full size...

Perfect for a small supermarket like Tesco Metro

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Perfect for a small supermarket like Tesco Metro

But there's a Tesco Express across the road...

mhge wrote: »
    But there's a Tesco Express across the road...

I didnt say a tesco metro i meant somthing similar to a tesco metro

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What size do Aldi look for? Or donnybrook fair?

Supervalue might also be option.
    Anything except Dunnes, Tesco or Lidl and I'll be happy.

ted1 wrote: »
    What size do Aldi look for? Or donnybrook fair?

Supervalue might also be option.
    Anything except Dunnes, Tesco or Lidl and I'll be happy.

I couldnt see df opening there because its not really that posh an area

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Walked by the Playwright on Newtownpark Ave and it looks like work has started again in earnest. Still not clear on what it will be a supermarket does seem most likely.

Still a fair bit of activity on-site with a new section to Newtown Park being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Cookbook Cafe opened in Glasthule yesterday (former Tribes premises). Breakfast and lunch menus up outside, and looked rammers inside when I passed at lunchtime today

Does anyone know anything about vinci pizza in deansgrange has been closed for the last month they have an anwering machine saying theyre closed until the 2nd of februrary but still closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Lep Inn is rumoured to have changed hands. I know the guys behind Bath Pub in Sandymount were pursuing it. Anyone know if that's who's bought it?

It was those guys who own sams bar as well. Just here at lep inn talking with the staff

• Advertisement

The Natural Bakery apparently moving into that large unit between flooring store and Euro shop in Georges St in Dun Laoghaire.
    They've had quite an expansion in the last year...

McGuirks are rummoured to be opening in Leopardstown golf club madness considering they have a branch on the other side of the racecourse

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Does anyone know anything about vinci pizza in deansgrange has been closed for the last month they have an anwering machine saying theyre closed until the 2nd of februrary but still closed.

I heard owner had her baby recently which may be an issue delaying reopening. Hopefully will reopen as always like it.

The euro shop opposite Pennys in Dun Laoghaire seems to be closed

Awaaf wrote: »
    I heard owner had her baby recently which may be an issue delaying reopening. Hopefully will reopen as always like it.

The bike shop there has also closed so maybe theres rent issues in that row of shops

mano bano wrote: »
    The euro shop opposite Pennys in Dun Laoghaire seems to be closed

Dealz must have put them out of buisness €2 is a bit of ripoff for a pound shop these days

Dealz must have put them out of buisness €2 is a bit of ripoff for a pound shop these days

And the Euro Giant store seems to have a better selection for stuff for €1.50 then the Euro shop had and Dealz seems to be busy anytime im down Dun laoghaire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I could be wrong of course but I always got the impression that the €2 shop and €uro Giant were actually one and the same. Stickers and stock are the same only more and the prices in the newly opened €uro Giant conveniently match Dealz. If that is the case I'd expect more of the smaller shops will close.

Even the Chinese place is quite cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I could be wrong of course but I always got the impression that the €2 shop and €uro Giant were actually one and the same. Stickers and stock are the same only more and the prices in the newly opened €uro Giant conveniently match Dealz. If that is the case I'd expect more of the smaller shops will close.

Hard to beat dealz or tiger for quality at such a low price

Advertisement