Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah it's closed. Owner has gone bankrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I can't imagine they had many loyal customers after Wetherspoons opened.

No bar has ever done well there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

is that the place on the top floor of the centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

I've said it before but surely there's no chance anyone is going to try their luck with that place again.
    No disrespect to the previous businesses, but it's been fail after fail after fail.
    I was very surprised to see how long Buck Henrys survived and it did seem to do OK business in comparison to what was previously there.

is that the place on the top floor of the centre?

Ground floor, with an entrance on George's Street and the centre.

Farrels is the place on the top floor. No idea if that is still open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Its about time they knock down the shopping centre altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

"Everyoung Natural Beauty" salon opening next door to Kitchen62.
    Kitchen62 looked quite packed, promoting Burger Night on Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Unfortunately 'Bake My Cake' on Booterstown Avenue and 'Early Learning Centre' in Blackrock have both closed.

As someone said above, Firehouse Pizza have opened opposite Booterstown Dart station. Excellent pizzas, far superior to the nearby Domino's (and cheaper too).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Unfortunately 'Bake My Cake' on Booterstown Avenue and 'Early Learning Centre' in Blackrock have both closed.

As someone said above, Firehouse Pizza have opened opposite Booterstown Dart station. Excellent pizzas, far superior to the nearby Domino's (and cheaper too).
    Bake my cake have a large store I dundrum , it's not in the main centre. It's between the ballaly luas stop and the red car park

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

ted1 wrote: »
    Bake my cake have a large store I dundrum , it's not in the main centre. It's between the ballaly luas stop and the red car park
    Apparently both stores are closing:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bake-My-Cake/130199697847?ref=ts&fref=ts

• Advertisement

I think the ELC in Black rock was only temporarily filling an empty unit. They are part of mothercare so will probably move back in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Pity - they had a popup shop inside in Dundrum, beside Butlers, where the Treasure Dolls were a week or two ago.

Oh, should have said, Treasure Dolls in Dundrum, beside Butlers have closed. Apparently, they still have a unit open in The Square.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Ground floor, with an entrance on George's Street and the centre.

Farrels is the place on the top floor. No idea if that is still open.
    Farrells is still open. Had a couple of pints in it last week!

The Mig wrote: »
    Farrells is still open. Had a couple of pints in it last week!

I often wonder how that place is still open its been there years its in a dreadful location why would anyone want to walk all the up to the top floor of a shopping centre just to have a/few drinks where every other shop on the level is closed.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Pity - they had a popup shop inside in Dundrum, beside Butlers, where the Treasure Dolls were a week or two ago.

Oh, should have said, Treasure Dolls in Dundrum, beside Butlers have closed. Apparently, they still have a unit open in The Square.

Not suprising it was a pretty big unit and i would say they couldnt pay the rent also they were in a part of Dundrum SC that was a bit out of the way with not much passers by. Also a new women clothes shop opened up in the main shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

stehyl15 wrote: »
    I often wonder how that place is still open its been there years its in a dreadful location why would anyone want to walk all the up to the top floor of a shopping centre just to have a/few drinks where every other shop on the level is closed.

Farrells has it's own entrance on Marine Road, I believe there's a lift to the pub on the top floor.

https://goo.gl/maps/BtKaf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Its accessible from marine road. Entrance is next door to the Ladbrokes at the bus stop. Its a proper locals bar. I went in around 2 in the afternoon and there was 15-20 people there. My father drinks there from time to time and he said 15-20 is regular enough during the day!

Not suprising it was a pretty big unit and i would say they couldnt pay the rent also they were in a part of Dundrum SC that was a bit out of the way with not much passers by. Also a new women clothes shop opened up in the main shopping centre.

It really was in an odd location, there's a buggy shop around the corner from it that I always wonder about. Looks more like an office

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

The Mig wrote: »
    Its accessible from marine road. Entrance is next door to the Ladbrokes at the bus stop. Its a proper locals bar. I went in around 2 in the afternoon and there was 15-20 people there. My father drinks there from time to time and he said 15-20 is regular enough during the day!

It has a cracking view on a Nice day for a Pint though

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mano bano

The natural bakery in dun laoghaire opened yesterday.. Looks really well didn't get a chance te try anything yet hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance

• Advertisement

mano bano wrote: »
    The natural bakery in dun laoghaire opened yesterday.. Looks really well didn't get a chance te try anything yet hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance

The misses Got a cake there on Friday, very disappointed won't be going back. Very very dry. Cream wasn't fresh either

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The old Europa Motors site in Blackrock was sold recently for €7.5 million, probably means it will be developed for residential use. It was rumoured to be on Lidl's radar a few years ago but doubt if they'd pay that much for a site.......

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/former-europa-motors-site-sells-for-nearly-3m-above-guide-1.2183835

ted1 wrote: »
    The misses Got a cake there on Friday, very disappointed won't be going back. Very very dry. Cream wasn't fresh either

I personally think their breads are nice but their cakes and pasteries are poor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

coylemj wrote: »
    The old Europa Motors site in Blackrock was sold recently for €7.5 million, probably means it will be developed for residential use. It was rumoured to be on Lidl's radar a few years ago but doubt if they'd pay that much for a site.......

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/former-europa-motors-site-sells-for-nearly-3m-above-guide-1.2183835

I think they would be hard pressed to fit their usual amount of parking on that site. Then again, they could underground it like they did in Deansgrange.

It would be a pity to see the old tram sheds knocked down and turned into a bland block, but it's a pity to see the site vacant and fenced off for years too.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I see that a new wine bar and restaurant is opening soon where Wright's Dalkey Dispensary/Starbucks used to be. It's going to be called "1909". It should be interesting to see how it does.

On the other hand, the Dalkey Flowers shop on Railway Road has closed with a sold sign outside. I wonder what will go in it's place. Bolero also on Railway Road is now gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I personally think their breads are nice but their cakes and pasteries are poor

I agree, I got two great loaves of bread but pastries were meh and very expensive meh at that. It was quite busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

zagmund wrote: »
    I think they would be hard pressed to fit their usual amount of parking on that site. Then again, they could underground it like they did in Deansgrange.

It would be a pity to see the old tram sheds knocked down and turned into a bland block, but it's a pity to see the site vacant and fenced off for years too.

z
    It is zoned for 4 storeys at 50+ units per hectare. The side nearest Newtown Villas is only poermitted for 2 storeys.

The buyer will try to fit 50-60 apartments on site. Underground parking is the only option.

Underground parking is the only option.

Until the flood comes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I wouldn't have thought of that as a high risk area for flooding, it's not like the old Dundrum Bowl or anything.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have thought of that as a high risk area for flooding, it's not like the old Dundrum Bowl or anything.

OPW report one flood on Temple Road in the recent past, so I wouldn't rule anything out;

http://www.floodmaps.ie/View/FloodReports.aspx?Type=Reports&FloodId=11687

Advertisement