Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Synode wrote: »
    Looks like The Cuckoo's Nest pub on the Greenhills Road is closing

Yep, notice on the door that they've ceased trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yep, notice on the door that they've ceased trading.

11026583_10206017024245419_1703405015417017139_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was the regular place for any "special occasion" lunch in my old job before they moved out of Broomhill - one of those places I assumed would likely be there forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

RainyDay wrote: »
    11026583_10206017024245419_1703405015417017139_o.jpg

probably the most honest decent and hearfelt closing notice I've seen. Must have been the most difficult decision they've had to make (helped by the banks no doubt).

Very sad to see such a Dublin institution close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

A very good well run local within walking distance for a lot of people. I knew pub closures was a rural problem but it looks like the cities are being hit now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

Chinasea wrote: »
    It really is astounding. They moan when shops close, they moan when shops open. They want free parking, they want cheap food, they want organic food, they want local food, they only want a certain type of shop and so on and so forth. And then when they get a new shop all they do is get on an open forum and slag it off, with no qualms about dispatching someone's livelihood down the swany.

All these "they shouda's" are very slow to put their own money in their own pockets and open up one of these imaginary 'shouda' businesses. After all there is nothing stopping you...........except yourselves.

Maybe the Headshops did fit the bill after all. They were the busiest little shops in the history of retail.

Touchy much ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

A new jewellery shop opened in dundrum shopping centre where that old doll shop was

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

stehyl15 wrote: »
    A new jewellery shop opened in dundrum shopping centre where that old doll shop was

Good, that doll shop was creepy as ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Has the old doll bought another shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Scotts on George's Street has renamed itself as O'Neill's.

God alone knows why.

• Advertisement

qb123 wrote: »
    Scotts on George's Street has renamed itself as O'Neill's.

God alone knows why.

Maybe a fella with that surname bought and wanted to put his own stamp on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I always thought scotts was a terrible name, it was called that as long as I remember so you do not really notice how bad it is, just like I think 7up is a bad name.

If it was O'Neills and changed to Scotts I would definitely be thinking WTF were they thinking.

The owner might not be O Neills, they might just want a more traditional sounding pub name. I also thought scotts had a name as being a bit of a dive, so maybe wanted it to be clear its under new management.

I thought "thing mote" was also a bad name. It got changed to O Donoghues and I reckon it was to cash in on the fame of the well known pub the dubliners drank in. Both near grafton street so might trick some tourists. I see now its also number 15, first pic is the dubliners one

odonoghues.jpg

4765278022_312310dc69_z.jpg

The dry cleaners in balinteer has moved to where the newsagents used to be and the chemist is now expanding into the old shop

Only realised today that Mario's chipper in Monkstown farm the one down near the post office is closed

rubadub wrote: »
    I always thought scotts was a terrible name, it was called that as long as I remember so you do not really notice how bad it is, just like I think 7up is a bad name.

If it was O'Neills and changed to Scotts I would definitely be thinking WTF were they thinking.

The owner might not be O Neills, they might just want a more traditional sounding pub name. I also thought scotts had a name as being a bit of a dive, so maybe wanted it to be clear its under new management.

Is it just me or does Scotts sound like the name of a typical English boozer. Yer man George from the Noggin Inn I think used to own before he went bankrupt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Only realised today that Mario's chipper in Monkstown farm the one down near the post office is closed

havent seen it open it a long time

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I thought "thing mote" was also a bad name. It got changed to O Donoghues and I reckon it was to cash in on the fame of the well known pub the dubliners drank in. Both near grafton street so might trick some tourists. I see now its also number 15, first pic is the dubliners one

Thingmote had a particular and very historically significant meaning behind it and, like The Long Stone, it referenced Dublin's viking origin. Now it's lost that uniqueness and has a surname like 99% of all pubs in Ireland.
    In Dublin, Ireland the Thingmote was a raised mound, 40 foot high and 240 foot in circumference, where the Norsemen assembled and made their laws. It stood on the south of the river, adjacent to Dublin Castle, until 1685.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_%28assembly%29

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

1909 restaurant and wine bar has opened in the Dalkey Dispensary building. Good luck to them :)

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Thingmote had a particular and very historically significant meaning behind it and, like The Long Stone,
    It was still a horrendous name for a pub IMO, "Thingmote" would have been better, but it was "Thing Mote" and AFAIK it was only named that in the 1990s (might be wrong but I only noticed it then), and nobody I knew mentioned the historical significance, it was just "that pub with the stupid name", I remember people thought the name was trying to be "cool" somehow. If it was spelt all one word I would have thought it was some surname or some other significance.

I bet there are 20 viking related names that would have been a better pick and catchier name. The Long Stone is a far better name.

Back OT I think the hardware shop in ballybrack shopping centre is closing and going to be a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Back OT I think the hardware shop in ballybrack shopping centre is closing and going to be a cafe.

That did not last long

• Advertisement

heard a rumour tonight that the Rambler's Rest in Ballybrack has been sold to Wetherspoons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

heard a rumour tonight that the Rambler's Rest in Ballybrack has been sold to Wetherspoons

That'll be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Cheap booze at the Ramblers?

Dear God, no!

That'll be fun.
    Cheap booze at the Ramblers?

Dear God, no!

yeah, the rumour might have emanated from wishful thinking from a local :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I know one of Wetherspoons agents in Dublin, working on their development planning. They have not bought the Ramblers Rest, nor would they. They are only looking for high footfall sites in busy retail / local centre areas, which Ballybrack is not.

In fact they have all the premises on the books for the next 2 years of roll out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

The latest rumour that I heard was the owner of the Wicked Wolf has bought it. It's Sale agreed on the sign outside so hopefully something comes to fruition!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Hard to understand how any pub owner in Blackrock has the cash to be expanding with Weatherspoons breathing down thelr neck. I wonder is he planning on selling the Wolf to buy the new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hard to understand how any pub owner in Blackrock has the cash to be expanding with Weatherspoons breathing down thelr neck. I wonder is he planning on selling the Wolf to buy the new place.

Lots of people won't go to a spoons, they attract different demographics

ted1 wrote: »
    Lots of people won't go to a spoons, they attract different demographics
    Also if people do go to a spoons in blackrock they might visit another pub or 2. I would usually go to at least 2 pubs if I went down, esp. if the first was packed. Has anybody heard if the other pubs are finding it difficult, or possibly be better off.

Its like the half price chipper day, the chinese over the road from one near me was jammed as people ditched the huge chipper queue and went there instead. While you would have guessed it would be empty.

I heard the ramblers rumour, both definitely confirmed and definitely denied, all bloke in the pub stories.

I think it would do very well there as I think people would travel a little to get there, and would do a good trade of sat & sunday lunches.

Spoons in blanchardstown opened with much higher prices than blackrock or dun laoghaire, who I think are also increasing prices now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Noticed that they had closed more than a week ago and for some reason they just did it secretly, no notice etc. one morning all the signs and ads were just gone.

Advertisement