Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Looks like the Tesco Metro in Terenure Village (Where Quinlans pub used to be) is about to open. Probably within the next week or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

A-wear in Dun laoghaire closes on dec 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The frozen yoghurt shop in dundrum town centre is said to be closing down D: I loved that place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

That place hasn't had a great history. Iirc, Teddy's was there for a while, and possibly another place before that again. I imagine the froyo place was losing its novelty factor; I was shocked myself at the prices, even if it was tasty. A restaurant might do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Aard wrote: »
    That place hasn't had a great history. Iirc, Teddy's was there for a while, and possibly another place before that again. I imagine the froyo place was losing its novelty factor; I was shocked myself at the prices, even if it was tasty. A restaurant might do better.

No novelty about it ! It was just amazingly tasty :pac: Yeah it was a bit expensive, 3/4 euro per cup usually, but you can get it free if you guess the weight correctly, my sister guessed it right just a while ago and got it free:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭brenn7475

dubscottie wrote: »
    Noticed tonight that the old Centra at the top of Rathmines Road (at the corner near O'Briens off-licence) is going to be a Tesco Express!

Absolute madness as they have a store 500 yards (if that) down the road.

Are they trying to put all the small shops up there out of business?

I noticed this also. It's ridiculous.

What really pisses me off though is

Lidl Grange Road
    Lidl Nutgrove Avenue
    Aldi Nutgrove Avenue
    Aldi Dundrum

And there is another one opening near Terenure also.

Starbucks in Nutgrove...was very surprised to see this one. It went up overnight as usual.

What's so bad about those Aldis and Lidls? There's also two Tescos (Dundrum and Nutgrove), M&S Dundrum, Superquinn Ballinteer, and SuperValu Churchtown.

The area is spoilt for choice, surely this is a good thing? There's a few small shops in the area too. The only one that's closed down was Spar near Silvios, and that closed before the arrival of Aldi afaik.

What's so bad about those Aldis and Lidls? There's also two Tescos (Dundrum and Nutgrove), M&S Dundrum, Superquinn Ballinteer, and SuperValu Churchtown.

The area is spoilt for choice, surely this is a good thing? There's a few small shops in the area too. The only one that's closed down was Spar near Silvios, and that closed before the arrival of Aldi afaik.

Aldi and Lidl have put fierce pressure on local retailers like Supervalu/Superquinn in the area. And Nationwide aswell .That is fact. Recently they have been running ad campaign's that they are "so called friend's of the Irish". Their Irish produce is minimal to be honest. They hire a lot of foreign workers from what I can see also.

Eventually Stores like Tesco Aldi Lidl will eliminate the local competition and will have a monopoly on the Irish Grocery Market. It's been happening slowly for years.

What do you mean by "pressure" on SuperValu and Superquinn?

And what's wrong with hiring foreign workers? That comment comes across as a little xenophobic.

• Advertisement

What do you mean by "pressure" on SuperValu and Superquinn?

And what's wrong with hiring foreign workers? That comment comes across as a little xenophobic.

What I mean is that there are Irish people crying out for jobs and the likes of Aldi/Lidl prefer to hire foreign workers living in Ireland. I would like to know why this is the case. Superquinn had to be bailed out last year by Musgraves. Supervalu in Churchtown has a loyal customer base. However and this is according to the management themselves. Their revenue has been down due to the likes of Aldi and Lidl opening 500 meters up the road from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

brenn7475 wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl have put fierce pressure on local retailers like Supervalu/Superquinn in the area.
    Yes, they have - ain't it great? The Irish guys have been ripping us off for generations. Aldi and Lidl have forced them to compete on basic products like milk and bread. Long may it continue.
    They hire a lot of foreign workers from what I can see also.
    Not so much. This used to be case a few years back, but I see more and more native Irish on the tills these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Aldi and Lidl have put fierce pressure on local retailers like Supervalu/Superquinn in the area. And Nationwide aswell .That is fact. Recently they have been running ad campaign's that they are "so called friend's of the Irish". Their Irish produce is minimal to be honest. They hire a lot of foreign workers from what I can see also.
    Utter nonsense they buy a high percentage of Irish produce. Most of there brands are made by Irish manufacturers. They put the larger stores like Dunnes and tescl yo shame . Do your research before you macke factual incorrect statements.

Also the jobs are advertised locally, they are free to hire the best eligible candidates. Eligible candidates are those from within the E.U.

Superquinn were over priced and run by a private equity firm with no knowledge of the retail market. That was just one of there problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

What I mean is that there are Irish people crying out for jobs and the likes of Aldi/Lidl prefer to hire foreign workers living in Ireland. I would like to know why this is the case.

This is NOT the case at all. As an Irish person myself, I have dealt with a huge number of Irish staff in Lidl stores across Dublin and nationwide. I can't say that I've ever been to an Aldi. This is mainly due to the fact that the opportunity has never presented itself as I don't live near one. When that time comes, it should be interesting!:D

By the way, why should foreign workers not be hired?:confused:

After all, they need to be able to support themselves while living here. This also enables them to make a contribution to the economy. Most importantly, it facilitates the integration between our country and theirs. Sort of a partnership if you will. Did this ever cross your mind?
    Superquinn had to be bailed out last year by Musgraves. Supervalu in Churchtown has a loyal customer base.

There's nothing wrong with that.
    However and this is according to the management themselves. Their revenue has been down due to the likes of Aldi and Lidl opening 500 meters up the road from them.

I suspect that the management could be quite biased in this case. Could the fall in revenue be due to a lack of competitive prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Aldi Dundrum

it's lidl in Dundrum not aldi
    Their Irish produce is minimal to be honest.

I've noticed the opposite - that they source a good amount of their produce here.
    Supervalu in Churchtown has a loyal customer base. However and this is according to the management themselves.

I'm one of their local customers :) I spilt my shopping between them & aldi on nutgrove avenue - they've such loyal customers because of the little things they do - like have someone who helps you bring your shopping to the car if needed, and I've noticed a fair few of the staff greeting older customers by name - I find their customer service is excellent, I remember in the snow a few years ago it was no issue for you to borrow a trolley to get your shopping home as well.

Cut down on shopping in tesco, cause nutgrove's not the best & I can't be bothered going to Dundrum SC for grocery shopping so that's my two local ones out - also find it very annoying when they've run out of staples in my weekly shop or when they leave spoiled products on the shelves.

Have to say lidl on nutgrove ave seems so quiet compared to aldi any time I've been in it.

Have to say lidl on nutgrove ave seems so quiet compared to aldi any time I've been in it.
    The Lidl there is relatively new, so maybe word hasn't gotten out yet. Or maybe the local market is now saturated, given the number of supermarkets nearby.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

What I mean is that there are Irish people crying out for jobs and the likes of Aldi/Lidl prefer to hire foreign workers living in Ireland. I would like to know why this is the case.

I was in Lidl on Nutgrove Avenue on Saturday night and most of the staff were Irish. All the staff on tills were and at the time I was struck by it as it's a change. Having said that, I think the reason it's changed is because Irish people are now willing to do those jobs, when previously they wouldn't so non nationals filled the gap. It's all moot really anyway because they pay tax on their wages just like anyone else and put money into the economy like anyone else. And claim unemployment assistance when they're not working, just like anyone else. I don't think it's fair to say that Aldi/Lidl prefer foreign workers. They offer the job to the best candidate. What benefit is there to them in "preferring" foreign workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

WildRosie wrote: »
    I was in Lidl on Nutgrove Avenue on Saturday night and most of the staff were Irish. All the staff on tills were and at the time I was struck by it as it's a change. Having said that, I think the reason it's changed is because Irish people are now willing to do those jobs, when previously they wouldn't so non nationals filled the gap. It's all moot really anyway because they pay tax on their wages just like anyone else and put money into the economy like anyone else. And claim unemployment assistance when they're not working, just like anyone else. I don't think it's fair to say that Aldi/Lidl prefer foreign workers. They offer the job to the best candidate. What benefit is there to them in "preferring" foreign workers?

If possible could we keep this thread on topic ?

It would be a shame if it were to continue to get cluttered with off-topic discussions - there are lots of forums where people can debate these highly interesting issues.

I see Enowine in Monkstown Cresent is closing down. I wonder was the euro tax hike on wine the final straw ?

davej

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

davej wrote: »
    If possible could we keep this thread on topic ? davej

I don't think I was alone in that.

Spar in Barton, Rathfarnham has closed and reopened under new management as an XL shop. Was in there on Christmas Eve and it was very quiet. There's a new podiatry and physical therapy clinic above the veg shop also in Barton. And the petrol station on Whitechurch Road has reopened again this time as "White Church Services".

Also have seen some work going on in the Tuning Fork (painting, new alarm) so maybe something is going to happen there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

The Lidl there is relatively new, so maybe word hasn't gotten out yet. Or maybe the local market is now saturated, given the number of supermarkets nearby.

True - I'd say the opening of Homestore & More'll bring them more customers & the smaller retail units there when they open

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

O2 store in Blackrock village has closed. Not surprising though, it always seemed empty. The only time I visited with a query, I was told to visit the Grafton Street outlet instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Tesco Metro in Terenure is opening on Thursday although may be sooner than seeing as how most of the shelves look full. Also looks like a new Sushi restaurant is getting ready to open in Terenure as well, a few doors up from Lisa's Trattoria

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Does anyone know what is happening to the Castle Chinese in Dalkey?

It's been closed for well over a year. But, now they appear to be gutting the place as well as applying a new coat of paint. There is a lot of potential for the retail unit given it's comparatively large size.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

The Brew Dock are opening a bar on Carsyfort Ave in Blackrock in a few weeks. Seems to be replacing the existing Avoca Bar.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dark-Horse/124395891058729

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Alexis in Dun Laoire is closed.
    This was a restaurant that had a huge reputation. I felt the location was a little out of the way but was always busy and difficult to get a table. In fairness though, that was 2 years ago. Owner blames parking as one of the key reasons for pulling the shutters.
    Another one of Keegan's victims!!:mad:

Who's Keegan and what did he do?!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

Who's Keegan and what did he do?!

I assume he means Owen Keegan, DLR county manager.

here2surf wrote: »
    Alexis in Dun Laoire is closed.
    This was a restaurant that had a huge reputation. I felt the location was a little out of the way but was always busy and difficult to get a table. In fairness though, that was 2 years ago. Owner blames parking as one of the key reasons for pulling the shutters.
    Another one of Keegan's victims!!:mad:
    Him most people have a drink with dinner I'd blame drink drive laws, customers with no money, increased taxes, lack of people with money to spend and the general recession

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Mrsbananas wrote: »
    I assume he means Owen Keegan, DLR county manager.
    The very man.

Advertisement