Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

The restaurant on Patrick Street, Dún Laoghaire previously known as 'Morels' and before that 'Alexis' has reopened as 'Garden Bar and Grill'
    garden.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

There's a new Moroccan restaurant on the main street in Blackrock across from Eddie Rockets, and what looks like it's either going to be a phone shop or an estate agents just beside it.

Also, one of the pubs a couple of doors down (beside the old Garda station entrance) was shut last night with the floor cleared and kegs all over the place inside.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

zagmund wrote: »
    There's a new Moroccan restaurant on the main street in Blackrock across from Eddie Rockets, and what looks like it's either going to be a phone shop or an estate agents just beside it.

Also, one of the pubs a couple of doors down (beside the old Garda station entrance) was shut last night with the floor cleared and kegs all over the place inside.

z

O'Rourkes???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

According to street view it's O'Donohoes, just next door to O'Rourkes.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The restaurant on Patrick Street, Dún Laoghaire previously known as 'Morels' and before that 'Alexis' has reopened as 'Garden Bar and Grill'

I heard that this was the same management as the previous incarnation. I never ate there, was it any good? Any sign of a menu online for the new place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

z

It's been closed a while now. Only seemed to have limited opening hours for a long time before that (eg. sports events etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sunday Times reported that Calvin Klein will be opening their first stand alone full price store in Ireland in Dundrum in the mezzanine where the Fran and Jane store used to be. It will just sell jeans and underwear according to the article. They already have a discounted/clearance outlet store in Kildare Village.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Passed the Midway on Seapoint Avenue today, looks like it's gone sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Seems like a new restaurant is opening at the old ladbrokes office in Stepaside village. Just saw a new tap and a bar installed to the empty space this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The restaurant previously known as Shutters opposite the library in Blackrock looks to be getting ready for business again. There's a sign up in the window advertising for various positions.

z

+1 Some renovation/redecoration work going on inside today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Was in the new Garden Bar And Grill on Patrick's St tonight, nice place, lovely food although the area towards the back was a little cold plus (and my only complaint about my visit to Kitchen 62 also) the only items on the menu that aren't priced are the craft beers, and when you get the bill you realise why, 6.95 is not an acceptable price for a bottle of beer in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Absolutely. Particularly in a street that is a nighttime backwater , when seven quid could buy 3 craft beers in Witherspoon's.
    You expect to pay a premium , not to be gouged

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

damian139 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Particularly in a street that is a nighttime backwater , when seven quid could buy 3 craft beers in Witherspoon's.
    You expect to pay a premium , not to be gouged

I find the worst part is the price is t disclosed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

New Grafton Barbers opening in Dundrum village, in the old Irish School of Motoring shop, just down from Jamie Olivers

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I was really excited to try the new gourmet food parlour on crofton road in dun laoghaire, was planning on getting lunch salad there daily. Unfortunately we went in two weeks ago at 5.05 on a Saturday evening and after a lot of flustered panicked staff running around we were told theres no food between 5 and 6 and all we could be offered was tea. There were about 4 people in the place. When we declined to wait, the waiter said 'oh that's good we have a table of 20 booked in later anyway'!! The mind boggles. It's a pity as I work in a large local employer and would have eaten there daily. I understand the kitchen closing to get ready for dinner but we were treated like dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I was really excited to try the new gourmet food parlour on crofton road in dun laoghaire, was planning on getting lunch salad there daily. Unfortunately we went in two weeks ago at 5.05 on a Saturday evening and after a lot of flustered panicked staff running around we were told theres no food between 5 and 6 and all we could be offered was tea. There were about 4 people in the place. When we declined to wait, the waiter said 'oh that's good we have a table of 20 booked in later anyway'!! The mind boggles. It's a pity as I work in a large local employer and would have eaten there daily. I understand the kitchen closing to get ready for dinner but we were treated like dirt

What you've written doesn't tally with "treated like dirt" - seems more like a new place with new staff not sure of things. I don't think I'd dismiss a place so quickly based on that. Have you ever been new in a workplace and unsure of things?

What you've written doesn't tally with "treated like dirt" - seems more like a new place with new staff not sure of things. I don't think I'd dismiss a place so quickly based on that. Have you ever been new in a workplace and unsure of things?

The Gourmet Food Parlour in DL is not quite as 'new' as you think, they moved just 700m from Cumberland St. to the current location near the Dart station so you'd have to figure that the same staff are working there.

Their Dun Laoghaire 'weekend brunch menu' clearly states that the fare on offer is served 'Saturday & Sunday 9 am - 6 pm' so there's no excuse for the way the previous poster was fobbed off - the same menu says that they serve tapas from 7 p.m. so there was no reason why they couldn't serve someone at 5:05 p.m.

http://www.dunlaoghaire.gourmetfoodparlour.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That's what invite-only soft openings are for; get your staff used the menu, operations and working order as well as sussing out food.

If you decide to skip that and just open up cold like this place seem to have done, the onus is on the restaurant to perform and there's no defence for that sort of opening. No excuse for that sort of treatment (both personally and the lack of food options).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

That's what invite-only soft openings are for; get your staff used the menu, operations and working order as well as sussing out food.

If you decide to skip that and just open up cold like this place seem to have done, the onus is on the restaurant to perform and there's no defence for that sort of opening. No excuse for that sort of treatment (both personally and the lack of food options).

Jeez this is ott. Give them a break.

Surely one of the main reasons for this thread is to help promote much needed new businesses, not bleedin kick it. The venue sat idle for the last 10 plus years, somebody has invested their livelihood in this and is providing much needed employment. No need to put the boot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Chinasea wrote: »
    Jeez this is ott. Give them a break.

Surely one of the main reasons for this thread is to help promote much needed new businesses, not bleedin kick it. The venue sat idle for the last 10 plus years, somebody has invested their livelihood in this and is providing much needed employment. No need to put the boot in.

Relax a bit. I'm not saying boycott the business.

Just saying that when a food place opens, its pretty poor form to have no food and make customers feel like they don't want to go back.

• Advertisement

It's an established business in Dun Laoghaire that moved closer to my work. Yes I have been new in various workplaces but I went on training courses before being thrown in the deep end. They should have opened a week later than they did & spent that time going over the basics of customer service at least. I didn't expect Michelin star but I expected a smile and to be offered some level of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

It's an established business in Dun Laoghaire that moved closer to my work. Yes I have been new in various workplaces but I went on training courses before being thrown in the deep end. They should have opened a week later than they did & spent that time going over the basics of customer service at least. I didn't expect Michelin star but I expected a smile and to be offered some level of service.

Was there today with the family for brunch.
    Had been in their old premises a few times over the years too.
    Food was good and service pleasant.
    Only €1.20 for a generous sized kids juice too was a nice touch compared to some places taking advantage of them.

frash wrote: »
    Was there today with the family for brunch.
    Had been in their old premises a few times over the years too.
    Food was good and service pleasant.
    Only €1.20 for a generous sized kids juice too was a nice touch compared to some places taking advantage of them.

Good to hear the service has improved. Will give them another try in the next week or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not a new business YET, but a huge piece of land at The Park Carrickmines, earmarked for retail use, going up for sale.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/carrickmines-district-centre-site-goes-to-market-for-over-45m-1.2407426

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

not a new business YET, but a huge piece of land at The Park Carrickmines, earmarked for retail use, going up for sale.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/carrickmines-district-centre-site-goes-to-market-for-over-45m-1.2407426

Is this not the piece of land that Tesco wanted, but Ciaran Cuffe designated it an area of outstanding natural beauty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you may be right.
    thankfully the Greens are a complete non-entity now

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

but Ciaran Cuffe designated it an area of outstanding natural beauty?
    hahaha, the cheek of him, after destroying the look of my local area with his numerous illegal election posters, blatantly ignoring the ESB and councils guidelines so they were technically litter. He's a disgrace, putting peoples lives at risk with hazardously places posters -all for his own gain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

you may be right.
    thankfully the Greens are a complete non-entity now

Sadly they still cling on to the last vestiges of power

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/659301288501510144

(Green Party Councillor for Dun Laoghaire, )

Did someone here or somewhere else mention that DLR co co were blocking IKEA from opening in Cherrywood? I wonder would they attempt to snap up the larger of those sites in the Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

coylemj wrote: »
    Did someone here or somewhere else mention that DLR co co were blocking IKEA from opening in Cherrywood? I wonder would they attempt to snap up the larger of those sites in the Park?

Yep, apparently the M50 couldn't handle the traffic it would create :p

21/25

Advertisement