Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Sadly they still cling on to the last vestiges of power

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/659301288501510144

(Green Party Councillor for Dun Laoghaire, )

I've zero in common with the Green Party however people receiving windfalls from zoning decisions should be taxed to the hilt i.e. substantially more than income tax rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The restaurant formerly known as Dalis and then Shutters on Blackrock Main St. will open as 'Rage Restaurant' on Nov. 14th. No indication of what type of cuisine they will be doing, there are notices in the window advertising vacant positions but no sign of any menus as of yet.

Website is blank with a one-liner but here's the link anyway .......

http://www.ragerestaurant.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Also, the former M&S premises on Georges St is to get a new tenant, a multinational's first outlet in Ireland, due to open New Year.

Its Sostrenes Grenes, anyone know them?

http://www.grenes.dk/en/home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

not a new business YET, but a huge piece of land at The Park Carrickmines, earmarked for retail use, going up for sale.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/carrickmines-district-centre-site-goes-to-market-for-over-45m-1.2407426

Why would a multiplex cinema would be considered suitable for The Park Carrickmines?

Would that not count as being as a waste of money as there is already one at Dundrum Town Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Why would a multiplex cinema would be considered suitable for The Park Carrickmines?

Would that not count as being as a waste of money as there is already one at Dundrum Town Centre.

I remember seeing a study a number of years ago done by Cineworld that showed that Cinemas in Ireland are considerably more profitable than cinemas in the UK. Tickets more expensive, we spend more on food and generally rents were lower for some reason.

That's why Cinema's here are so nice, think about it. Rathmines, Vue, Cineworld, Point Village, Lighthouse, have all undergone major refits (or were constructed recently) with top of the line equipment. Last week Vue LV began showing films 24 hours a day (which the insomniac in me loves).

Enough parking, access to the M50 and a nice new shiny cinema will do a roaring trade off people in the Bray, Carrickmines, Cabinteely and Ballybrack areas I'd say.

The real loser won't be DD, it'll be DL.

• Advertisement

That article appeared in the Commercial Property supplement of the Irish Times last Wednesday. I've absolutely no doubt that the estate agent selling the sites took out a large advertisement in the same supplement so that article will give him a helping hand by suggesting all sorts of possible uses in order to attract as much interest as possible.

I guess you can call it 'quid pro quo', it happens all the time with property sales. Whether all of the suggested uses are commercially viable or not is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

coylemj wrote: »
    That article appeared in the Commercial Property supplement of the Irish Times last Wednesday. I've absolutely no doubt that the estate agent selling the sites took out a large advertisement in the same supplement so that article will give him a helping hand by suggesting all sorts of possible uses in order to attract as much interest as possible.

I guess you can call it 'quid pro quo', it happens all the time with property sales. Whether all of the suggested uses are commercially viable or not is neither here nor there.

I'd far rather go to Carrickmines than to Dun Laoghaire or Dundrum to access a big cinema with decent parking at a reasonable price. I'd also far rather use an Ikea in Carrickmines than trek to Ballymun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

There's also Stillorgan in terms of cinemas... Neither Stillorgan or DL are ever packed from what I can see but perhaps Carrickmines could get the trade from Stepaside, Bray etc seeing how Dundrum is often gridlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I certainly wouldn't complain about a new cinema but I'd say there's no chance of a cinema opening in Carrickmines if anyone has any sense.

Bray closed in 2008 due to poor attendance and with cinema box office figures in decline (quite badly in 2014) , someone would have to be mad to open a new cinema there.

There were plans for a cinema on top of Stephens Green shopping centre too if I remember as I assume someone saw the light as I've heard nothing in the last couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Its Sostrenes Grenes, anyone know them?

http://www.grenes.dk/en/home

I've seen them somewhere abroad - nice Scandi decorations, homewares and gifts, not expensive but way above the likes of Tiger in terms of design and quality. I only saw small outlets though, ex-M&S seems to be quite large for them? Unless they go bigger in shopping centres.
    If they open well before Christmas they should absolutely clean up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It wouldn't surprise if a Lidl or an Aldi opened in Carrickmines shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

It's not opening but Cheerywoods big town center project will have a cinema so can't see one in Carrickmines.

Diep replaced Pizza Republic up in Cournelscourt.

Also looks like the Pizza republic at Killiney Shopping Center is gone. (I wonder if it had anything to do with Pizza Hut opening up) Plus the food was crap

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Diep replaced Pizza Republic up in Cournelscourt.

+1 http://www.diep.ie/location-cornelscourt

Sculpt personal training is relocating from Ballymount to Brookfield avenue, Blackrock

https://www.facebook.com/Sculpt-Personal-Training-945999475415921/

A new restaurant "Rage" is opening in Blackrock on Main Street. It's a 'flame grilled restaurant'.

Rage is now open.

Ate there on Saturday. Food was lovely but the set-up and atmosphere seemed a lot higher end than it needed to be. Would happily go back.

http://ragerestaurant.ie/index.php

Anyway, its open now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Rage is now open.

Ate there on Saturday. Food was lovely but the set-up and atmosphere seemed a lot higher end than it needed to be. Would happily go back.

http://ragerestaurant.ie/index.php

Anyway, its open now :)

Higher end in terms of snooty? Because they could certainly learn to spell before they thumb their noses at customers. WTF is a 'celerity stick' and who is this 'Caeser' geezer? 'Parmesman' cheese? I Could Go on with random capital letter but why bother.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Higher end in terms of snooty? Because they could certainly learn to spell before they thumb their noses at customers. WTF is a 'celerity stick' and who is this 'Caeser' geezer? 'Parmesman' cheese? I Could Go on with random capital letter but why bother.

Haha I noticed the Caeser spelling myself in the restaurant. Didn't realise how bad it was across the menu.

Well if you look at the menu it comes off as a diner, maybe something along the lines of TGIs/Captain Americas but when you get there it's very fancy, fully set tables, schmoozy background music, very formal etc. So whilst the food is very nice, it seems the place is confused as to what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Haha I noticed the Caeser spelling myself in the restaurant. Didn't realise how bad it was across the menu.

Well if you look at the menu it comes off as a diner, maybe something along the lines of TGIs/Captain Americas but when you get there it's very fancy, fully set tables, schmoozy background music, very formal etc. So whilst the food is very nice, it seems the place is confused as to what it is.

At least they are displaying that a dungarvan beer costs you €7 I'll give them that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

At least they are displaying that a dungarvan beer costs you €7 I'll give them that!

You're not getting caught again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

They've an unparalleled range of erdinger alcohol free beer!!
    Hope it goes well, given the fitout the prices aren't outrageous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the menu is a bit unclear as to whether the burgers come with a side included in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the menu is a bit unclear as to whether the burgers come with a side included in the price.
    as there is no mention I would presume not. There is a fish & chips dish which makes it clear so I would guess the burger one would too.

They have a facebook page with plenty of photos, but no photos of food...

https://www.facebook.com/ragerestaurant/photos_stream

+1 Haven't eaten there since it reopened but I did notice the refit going on and have to say I was flabbergasted when I saw the menu and realised that (as you say), it's effectively playing in the TGI/Captain America space - burgers, pasta and buffalo wings. It looked to me from the layout that they were going to aim for the same market as before when it was Dalis and Shutters.

That part of town gets little in the way of passing trade, when the premises was operating as Dalis it got a very good lunch trade but from the look of them, the clients were people who travelled to eat there and didn't just casually drop in off the street. At a tenner for a burger, they're not going to get many student from the new college across the road and neither will that menu attract the 'ladies who lunch' who might be customers of Brown Sugar and Carter (beauty salons) across the road.

Yep the burgers come with one side included in the price. I think most dishes do as I had the cajun chicken burger and my mate had the steak sandwich and both came with a side of our choice.

a new Indian takeaway, the Curry Garden, is opening on Georges St Dun Laoghaire, next door to Apache/Lams.

Website not live yet, here's their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/The-Curry-Garden-1619953831602088

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

A new Italian pizzeria called casanovas opened up in stillorgan above where ladbrokes used to be a new aib opened in Carrickmines sc aswell.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    A new Italian pizzeria called casanovas opened up in stillorgan above where ladbrokes used to be a new aib opened in Carrickmines sc aswell.

Ah that's a shame, I liked the chinese restaurant 'Gong' which used to be in that spot, hadn't eaten there in a good while but it was quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Clodagh's Kitchen closed... Barkers now open.

Last week? Posters announcing The Counter coming soon. Today? Work nearly complete but now rebranded to Flash Harry's.

Ki ki wrote: »
    Clodagh's Kitchen closed... Barkers now open.

Last week? Posters announcing The Counter coming soon. Today? Work nearly complete but now rebranded to Flash Harry's.

I think the owner of the Eddie Rockets franchise (and Counter franchise) used to own a restaurant in Blackrock called Flash Harry's years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Yeah, I had vague memories of the name so got on Google. But why have all the signage and the "The Counter is coming" banners to change it last minute to the name of a former venture??

Advertisement