Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ki ki wrote: »
    Yeah, I had vague memories of the name so got on Google. But why have all the signage and the "The Counter is coming" banners to change it last minute to the name of a former venture??

Very bizarre a considering the Counter is a known brand and most people will have no idea of the new name.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Very bizarre a considering the Counter is a known brand and most people will have no idea of the new name.
    franchise right can be expensive. perhaps they reckon its better going solo or developing their own brand which they can franchise.

ted1 wrote: »
    franchise right can be expensive. perhaps they reckon its better going solo or developing their own brand which they can franchise.

Oh yeah completely but you'd imagine they had bought the franchise right already and prior to plastering massive 'Counter' posters all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I think the owner of the Eddie Rockets franchise (and Counter franchise) used to own a restaurant in Blackrock called Flash Harry's years ago.

Nah Flash Harry's was owned by the fella who owned the Mad Hatter and the Wicked Wolf originally, chap called Bernard

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Nah Flash Harry's was owned by the fella who owned the Mad Hatter and the Wicked Wolf originally, chap called Bernard

http://www.independent.ie/business/fortune-cooks-up-a-recipe-for-success-26114742.html
    Although he has turned down offers to bring his American diners to the US, Niall Fortune is taking his burgers 'n' fries formula to the continent, writes Tony O'Brien[...]

It's a bit like taking coals to Newcastle but Niall Fortune has seriously considered bringing his remarkably successful Eddie Rocket's American diner concept to the States[...]

Soon he opened his first fastfood restaurant, Flash Harry's in Blackrock, Co Dublin, before adding a Sweet Factory franchise on Grafton Street and a night club in the Powerscourt Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Ki ki wrote: »
    Clodagh's Kitchen closed... Barkers now open.

Jeez that didn't last long....all the furore when it opened!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah very disappointed Rothár has gone. I got my bike serviced and a few problems fixed by them and it was always a great service at a much better price than Mikes Bikes who can be pretty expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Also, interesting article on the decline of Dun Laoghaire and efforts now being made to address it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-is-being-transformed-1.2450333

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

What doesn't help matters is the state of the empty premises. I can't understand why or how these are allowed to sit, fester and rot. Somebody owns them and therefore should be accountable. Who would want to open up a business beside one of these crumbling, decaying filthy ruins.

And it is not just empty shops, The People Before Profit shop/Premises on lower Georges Street, slap bang centre stage is a shabby, scruffy disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Chinasea wrote: »
    And it is not just empty shops, The People Before Profit shop/Premises on lower Georges Street, slap bang centre stage is a shabby, scruffy disgrace.

Why should Richard Boyd-Barrett pay good money to tart up his premises to help his capitalist pig neighbours to make more money by enticing the great oppressed into their shops to be exploited?

I mean, between the leader's allowance and his Dail salary, the poor fellow has to to get by with only €130,000 or so a year, excluding travel and office expenses. Give the guy a break FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The "people before public safety" scumbags probably squandered all their money on illegal & dangerous posters in DLR. They violated the ESB's safety guidelines and the councils guidelines -therefore they were classes as litter in DLR by the council. Creating fire hazard and hazards to road users and pedestrians, obstructing traffic lights, masking children behind barriers etc.

Most other parties did to of course, but these scumbags were amongst the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

rubadub wrote: »
    The "people before public safety" scumbags probably squandered all their money on illegal & dangerous posters in DLR. They violated the ESB's safety guidelines and the councils guidelines -therefore they were classes as litter in DLR by the council. Creating fire hazard and hazards to road users and pedestrians, obstructing traffic lights, masking children behind barriers etc.

Most other parties did to of course, but these scumbags were amongst the worst.

Tell us what you really think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Chinasea wrote: »
    What doesn't help matters is the state of the empty premises. I can't understand why or how these are allowed to sit, fester and rot. Somebody owns them and therefore should be accountable. Who would want to open up a business beside one of these crumbling, decaying filthy ruins.

Exaggeration of the day award.

The vacant main street premises are absolutely not crumbling and decaying. They are shuttered and unwashed but they are not derelict by any means. The owners would only be accountable if there was dereliction or dangerous structure risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Larbre34 wrote: »

The vacant main street premises are absolutely not crumbling and decaying. They are shuttered and unwashed but they are not derelict by any means. The owners would only be accountable if there was dereliction or dangerous structure risk.

Some of them look filthy though, with rubbish inside, windows plastered with old paper etc. The stretch past Dunnes towards People's Park comes to mind. Who would like to open next to premises kept in such a state?
    If BID want to show premises on behalf of their owners, a baby skip, a brush and a bucket of soapy water might be a good investment...

mhge wrote: »
    Some of them look filthy though, with rubbish inside, windows plastered with old paper etc. The stretch past Dunnes towards People's Park comes to mind. Who would like to open next to premises kept in such a state?
    If BID want to show premises on behalf of their owners, a baby skip, a brush and a bucket of soapy water might be a good investment...

They should do what they do in Donnybrook which is cover the face of the empty building from the inside with those pictures that look like the shop is open with the 'for sale' signs on them.

Very simple but it does make the place look a bit tidier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

That's true but with so many empty premises as in DL there's value in being able to see into the shops without having to arrange viewings to compare them. It's just that it would help if they were clean and tidy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

mhge wrote: »

Those all belong to Dunnes Stores, I am reliably informed. If it's not fit for use, then commercial rates don't apply. Handy that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Larbre34 wrote: »

Nah, perhaps we see things differently. The majority of empty shops on Georges Street upper and lower, and vacant abandoned buildings such as (Eblana Avenue School CBC, old CoCo bin truck depot at old Fire station) are grotty, rotting, shabby, etc.

Who would pay good money to rent a shop beside a decaying abondoned premises?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Those all belong to Dunnes Stores, I am reliably informed. If it's not fit for use, then commercial rates don't apply. Handy that...

Speaking dunnes stores in dl i don't understand how that and the other drapery only one in stillorgan manage to survive every time I've gone into either staff seem to outnumber customers by about 3 to 1.

• Advertisement

Flash Harry's looks like a bar so they must have ditched the restaurant angle and as such the Counter angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

I believe there was an article in the Finance section of The Sunday Times about it. Definitely owned by Niall Fortune. Couldn't view the whole piece on-line and the paper's long gone in the recycling. I'm curious, but not curious enough to go through the bins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think Griff's hairdresser in Glasthule has closed, change of use permission sought for a coffee shop I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I think Griff's hairdresser in Glasthule has closed, change of use permission sought for a coffee shop I think?

correct on both counts. A speciality coffee shop, no less.

Also, Real Gourmet Burger under the Pavilion/Spoons has has hand written 'Closed' signs up for the last few nights.

Regarding empty premises, I saw one on Bray's Main St. that had a full size fabric picture of a cafe hung over it. Nice idea, but who pays. The Dunnes Quarter of DL is a disgrace, would love a decent retailer appearing there soon. That end of town could do with a decent convenience store, possibly the old BoI premises.

correct on both counts. A speciality coffee shop, no less.

Also, Real Gourmet Burger under the Pavilion/Spoons has has hand written 'Closed' signs up for the last few nights.

Regarding empty premises, I saw one on Bray's Main St. that had a full size fabric picture of a cafe hung over it. Nice idea, but who pays. The Dunnes Quarter of DL is a disgrace, would love a decent retailer appearing there soon. That end of town could do with a decent convenience store, possibly the old BoI premises.

Yeah, somewhere akin to Bear Market in Blackrock I'd say rather than a Juggy's Well type spot. But a lot of coffee spots in the area already, especially with the new Cafe du Journal. Hope they do well though obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Yeah, somewhere akin to Bear Market in Blackrock I'd say rather than a Juggy's Well type spot. But a lot of coffee spots in the area already, especially with the new Cafe du Journal. Hope they do well though obviously.

there were a few people in there this afternoon, perhaps work on the fit out is kicking off. Also, the Punnet have taken over Al's hairdressers, and now run the three shops in a row beside the Mitsubishi garage. The middle shop is being used for now as an overrun for the fruit and veg etc, and for healthy Christmas gifts. They are planning in time to offer the salad bars that are doing quite well at their 2 locations in town.

Great to see the Punnet doing so well - a real success story imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mano bano

There is a gourmet cafe in ballybrack at Tesco only notice it today there is one in dun laoghaire near penny's

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That end of town could do with a decent convenience store, possibly the old BoI premises.

Agree, i have my office down that way, a well run decent sized convenience shop and deli would do well, hoover up the lunchtime trade as well as all the homes on the side streets. With Corrig Stores gone and Super Valu on fairly limited hours, its needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

mano bano wrote: »
    There is a gourmet cafe in ballybrack at Tesco only notice it today there is one in dun laoghaire near penny's

Are they good? The one in DL always seems busy in fairness.

Advertisement