Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Rage is now open.

Ate there on Saturday. Food was lovely but the set-up and atmosphere seemed a lot higher end than it needed to be. Would happily go back.

http://ragerestaurant.ie/index.php

Anyway, its open now :)

Closed today with the blinds all down when I passed at 3 p.m. :confused:

For those who didn't see the earlier posts, this place is in the same premises that previously housed Dali's and then Shutter's on the old main st. in Blackrock, opposite the new college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Howard's storage world now open in dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

coylemj wrote: »
    Closed today with the blinds all down when I passed at 3 p.m. :confused:

For those who didn't see the earlier posts, this place is in the same premises that previously housed Dali's and then Shutter's on the old main st. in Blackrock, opposite the new college.

I think they close between 3 and 5 as they're open for lunch and then dinner later on.

I think they close between 3 and 5 as they're open for lunch and then dinner later on.

Their website and the sign on the front of the premises both claim they are open Mon-Sat 12-10. I could understand them keeping the hours you're suggesting when it was Dalis or Shutters but not when they're now doing (in their own words) 'casual dining'.

Seriously - the week before Christmas and they're closed at 3 p.m.?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

coylemj wrote: »
    Their website and the sign on the front of the premises both claim they are open Mon-Sat 12-10. I could understand them keeping the hours you're suggesting when it was Dalis or Shutters but not when they're now doing (in their own words) 'casual dining'.

Seriously - the week before Christmas and they're closed at 3 p.m.?

I've a friend who lives on that road and says its so, so just going off his words. "Lunch 12-3" and "Dining 5-Close". I think I remember the Hen House in Dun Laoghaire did that for a short while years ago and it was so frustrating.

Completely with you though, it's baffling! And not only the week before Christmas, but the month after your opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mano bano

Awaaf wrote: »
    Are they good? The one in DL always seems busy in fairness.

I like it and the wife liked it. the menu is the same as the DL and Bray one the staff are friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mano bano

There is a new Indian take away in Killiney shopping centre called Masala where the pizza place used to be. And I seen there is a new Indian opening in 2016 in DL called the Curry House down near Corrig Ave

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Masala and The Curry House? No ambiguity there then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You can never have too many Indian restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Some speculation an Indian will open in Deansgrange where the bike shop was. Cant confirm however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Saw that new Sostern Grene was closed on Sunday there, which I found unbelieveable only two days open on a Sunday in December. They said on fb they will be opening Sundays 12-6 but it was astonishing, the amount of people who were outside at 12,1 and 2pm!

Anyway, theres a new womens clothes shop beside grafton barbers in Blackrock called Peggy C. Another new clothes shop (female fitness apparel i believe) in Blackrock shopping centre called sculpt.

And I didn't see it mentioned on this thread before but I could be wrong, a few months back, personal training and semi private group training studio Synergy Strength and Conditioning on Cumberland St Dun Laoghaire :o and two doors down Mens Hair Company barber shop.

Awaaf wrote: »
    Some speculation an Indian will open in Deansgrange where the bike shop was. Cant confirm however.

There's no shortage of fans of spicy food in the area that's for sure. Last Sunday week (Dec 6th) at about 8 p.m. I was picking up an order in the recently opened Diep opposite AIB near the Magic Carpet. There was two Irish ladies doing the counter and the phones, four oriental chefs going at it hammer and tongs and four delivery men waiting for orders. They certainly won't regret opening that branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Saw that new Sostern Grene was closed on Sunday there, which I found unbelieveable only two days open on a Sunday in December. They said on fb they will be opening Sundays 12-6 but it was astonishing, the amount of people who were outside at 12,1 and 2pm!

Also found it strange that with their prices were all random odd numbers, considering we're starting to phase out 1 & 2 cent coins.
    Would they not price everything in multiples of 5, save themselves a lot of hassle?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Also found it strange that with their prices were all random odd numbers, considering we're starting to phase out 1 & 2 cent coins. Would they not price everything in multiples of 5, save themselves a lot of hassle?

The prices are converted directly from Danish kroner, hence the odd pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The prices are converted directly from Danish kroner, hence the odd pricing.
    That's what I guessed, still could be rounded though.

If they are very low price items, like under 50cent some might not want to round, the total gets rounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Charging for paper bags also so bring your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Charging for paper bags also so bring your own

Do they? I saw paper bags marked free at the packing counters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

mhge wrote: »
    Do they? I saw paper bags marked free at the packing counters.

Tiny ones are free, couldn't fit the cushion I bought in one, 40c for a large one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You can never have too many Indian restaurants

Been to Kathmandu in Dalkey a few times recently for take-away. Was there first a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed but few mates had tried it recently so went back. Really nice food. If you're sitting in the Thali is great value and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Murtagh hardware in Glasthule has closed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

That's a shame, didn't last long.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is that the one that opened where the Cowshed used to be?

Grid. wrote: »
    That's a shame, didn't last long.:(

yeah think it was just a year
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is that the one that opened where the Cowshed used to be?

no, in the old garage opposite Cavistons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That's a shame. It was never going to be easy competing with Woodies, but it was a nice little store with really nice staff.

Base Pizza to open in Park Pointe (ie Honeypark tesco)

A tapas takeaway going in beside the Purty Kitchen (used to be a pizza place)

Also, with the 40th anniversary of the opening of DL shopping centre this year (Dec 9th), some major plans are afoot. Redesign of basement and ground floors, reconfiguring some units to dual floors, adding windows to Marine Road side and the long mooted closing of the top floor (RIP The Pen Shop). Could be a game changer for Dun laoghaire.

Pardon the phrase, but the plans for DLSC are just polishing a turd.

Its a physical and psychological blockage at the centre of the town. I had never seen those images of the former Gresham Terrace before, was a disgraceful loss it was. I know the owners are entitled to commercial gain from the site, within Planning laws, but its a pity some mechanism could not be found to lead to the demolition of the centre and replacement with a sympathetic design of residential and retail mix.

I also suspect that if the brutalist SC and St Michaels church were not in situ, we would not have had to put up with the complementary LexIcon. Regrets all round.

Thanks for the info Ossian, very informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

There's only one solution for DL SC and that is the steel ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Would be inclined to agree. However i wonder could they turn things around with two or three large retailers coming in?

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Would be inclined to agree. However i wonder could they turn things around with two or three large retailers coming in?

From RTE.ie
    Robert Murphy of Murphy Mulhall, who asset manages the centre on behalf of Coltard, said: “The centre underwent a substantial internal renovation in 2009 and once planning is granted, the final piece of the jigsaw will fall into place.”

Jason Miller of Murphy Mulhall who heads up the leasing team added that "already a number of anchor stores have expressed interest in what will give them a large foothold in the very affluent South Dublin market”.

A somewhat ambitious statement considering the 2009 renovation did nothing whatsoever to halt the store closures within.

Expressions of interest mean nothing, to my mind the redevelopment is an act of folly without contractual commitments to occupy the two mooted large units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

My suspicion regarding the DLSC is that Tesco Ltd are locked into a long term office rental that throws up enough rental profit on it own for the owners to leave the actual shopping center stagnate with the occasional 'upgrade' as per this announcement.

Advertisement