Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

My suspicion regarding the DLSC is that Tesco Ltd are locked into a long term office rental that throws up enough rental profit on it own for the owners to leave the actual shopping center stagnate with the occasional 'upgrade' as per this announcement.

I have the same feeling myself. Otherwise Tesco would have been out of there long ago, I can imagine the offices are well dated.
    It's rare I say this but fair play to the councillors who raised the vacancy charge to 25%, hopefully it will increase in years to come. This has obviously spurred the owners into motion but whether they get the tenants they're after is another question. I expect demand for retail in DL to remain relatively stagnant in the foreseeable future. It's been overtaken by out of town centre, the city centre itself and online shopping will grow and grow. There needs to incentives to get people moving into the centre of town, whatever happened that "live above a shop" scheme?!
    Ideally an apartment development with associated plaza / open space would be fantastic. With tourist number continuing to grow and the seafront becoming more attractive, I reckon Dun Laoghaire can sustain another hotel also. Alas, none of this will come to fruition because of the centre owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

crushproof wrote: »
    It's been overtaken by out of town centre, the city centre itself and online shopping will grow and grow. There needs to incentives to get people moving into the centre of town, whatever happened that "live above a shop" scheme?!
    Ideally an apartment development with associated plaza / open space would be fantastic.
    With tourist number continuing to grow and the seafront becoming more attractive, I reckon Dun Laoghaire can sustain another hotel also. Alas, none of this will come to fruition because of the centre owners i.e Dun Laoghaire Business Association.

Totally agree. All those empty units should be rezoned immediately instead of festering and rotting. Plenty of people having to commute from as far as Wexford etc., when they could/should easily be living in Dun Laoghaire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

They better not get rid of Farrell's

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Mig wrote: »
    They better not get rid of Farrell's

There may be an intention to relocate it within the Centre, but it certainly isn't staying where it is now, according to the plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There may be an intention to relocate it within the Centre, but it certainly isn't staying where it is now, according to the plans.

A logically guess would be where Buck Henry's and numerous other pubs/clubs were in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The Gerard Byrne Gallery (formerly known as The Bedroom Studio) in Dalkey has remained unoccupied. If I remember correctly, I think Caffe Nero were meant to set up there. Could they have gotten cold feet stemming from the local hostility they faced and abandoned their plans or does it take a while from the time of "Grant Permission" to moving in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Planning permission lasts 5 years. The potential occupier can hold off for as long as they like during that time, for whatever reason, provided they have commenced work before the 5 years is up.

Its probably a franchising issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Gerard Byrne Gallery (formerly known as The Bedroom Studio) in Dalkey has remained unoccupied. If I remember correctly, I think Caffe Nero were meant to set up there. Could they have gotten cold feet stemming from the local hostility they faced and abandoned their plans or does it take a while from the time of "Grant Permission" to moving in?

I think planning was rejected there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

ted1 wrote: »
    I think planning was rejected there

It was given the green light according to the following link:

http://cspwprdfe.cloudapp.net/casenum/243503.htm

This was after all of the appeals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Just noticed yesterday there is a Costa Coffee shop now in Sandyford Hall!!!

How long has that been there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Just noticed yesterday there is a Costa Coffee shop now in Sandyford Hall!!!

How long has that been there?

Months. I think they opened around 3 months ago or so. Fairly busy in the afternoon and mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Dixons (owners of Currys & PC World) have completed a takeover of Carphone Warehouse, and have announced the closure of up to 15 stores.
    So Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre at serious risk of another empty unit (as well as locations in Blackrock, Sandyford & Nutrgrove)

Also Xtravision gone into liquidation, with the Glenageary/Sallynoggin branch likely to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Reads in DL is closed http://www.reads.ie/DL-notice.php

A new restaurant opening in the old Nosh/Mermaid/Kellermans :D premises in Dalkey https://twitter.com/WanderlustRest

Noticed that McGovern's (corner opp the People's Park, was most recently a pharmacy) in DL has been re-let.

Rumours that the DL Dunnes is to receive a very substantial makeover. Big article in the SBP last Sunday on Dunnes' new upmarket strategy for their stores. May also include the ex food store on Northumberland Ave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

It actually occurred to me that Dunnes might be closing, passing by the other day clothing racks appeared to have large areas of space separating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Rumours that the DL Dunnes is to receive a very substantial makeover. Big article in the SBP last Sunday on Dunnes' new upmarket strategy for their stores. May also include the ex food store on Northumberland Ave

Dunnes in St Stephens Green is like a different world after the makeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

mhge wrote: »
    Dunnes in St Stephens Green is like a different world after the makeover.

Yeah was in there recently and it seems very upmarket. I felt ashamed buying my boxers

damian139 wrote: »
    It actually occurred to me that Dunnes might be closing, passing by the other day clothing racks appeared to have large areas of space separating them.

yes I thought exactly the same, it was very sparse indeed.

I spoke to someone about it and they told me that the end of January is the year end in retail so stores like to keep stocks low at this time. Then children's allowance day is Tuesday 2nd Feb (I'm told) and the stores will be replete once again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Cornelscourt is getting the next revamp, starting after Easter afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Cornelscourt is getting the next revamp, starting after Easter afaik

Seems to be a new coffee shop going in there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A new suit shop has opened up in DL, I think in the same premises as Black Tie was? Also a couple of doors down is a shop being renovated and the sign in the window says "I can't wait to buy me cheese from here". The Art & Hobby shop in the shopping centre has moved down and opened a big new place in the basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

SBP article on Dunnes mentioned possibility of opening a farmer's style food market in DL. Assume it would have to be in old premises on Northumberland Av.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Seems to be a new coffee shop going in there at the moment.

Yeah Sol, I think they own that company, also re the farmers market I hear they also bought up a farmers business, I'll find out more.

Dunne's bought " cafe Sol"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That makes sense so. I presume Dunnes own the whole cornelscourt complex and so wondered why they would let a rival in to their own place, as they already have their own cafe type place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Did they. Was wondering why there was one in Dunnes in Rathmines

Synode wrote: »
    Did they. Was wondering why there was one in Dunnes in Rathmines

Wonder no more!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rubadub wrote: »
    That makes sense so. I presume Dunnes own the whole cornelscourt complex and so wondered why they would let a rival in to their own place, as they already have their own cafe type place.

Dunnes certainly do own the whole of the Cornelscourt complex, the independent retailers (hairdresser/chemist/optician) are tenants. In the early days, for entertainment on a Sunday afternoon, Ben Dunne Sr. and his wife used to drive to Cornelscourt, stop off in the car park, sit in their car and watch the people coming and going!

The present format suits Dunnes because having a few independent shops means they can call the place 'Cornelscourt Shopping Centre', which gets around the problem of the local snobs having to say that they shop in 'Dunnes', instead they say they shop in 'Cornelscourt'. You'll never, ever hear a local refer to the place as 'Dunnes'.

I was told a while ago by someone with knowledge of the business that Dunnes classify each store into one of three categories based on local spending power and this determines the type of stock (especially clothes and household goods) that's on offer. Clearly St. Stephens Green and Cornelscourt are in the top drawer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

coylemj wrote: »
    I was told a while ago by someone with knowledge of the business that Dunnes classify each store into one of three categories based on local spending power and this determines the type of stock (especially clothes and household goods) that's on offer. Clearly St. Stephens Green and Cornelscourt are in the top drawer.

Every retailer tailors each store to suit its local demographic, that's common sense.

Asda in High Wycombe (which has a large Caribbean community ) sells Plantain and yams, Asda in Enniskillen doesn't, but it does sell white pudding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

coylemj wrote: »
    which gets around the problem of the local snobs having to say that they shop in 'Dunnes', instead they say they shop in 'Cornelscourt'. You'll never, ever hear a local refer to the place as 'Dunnes'.

Eh... well that is a bit fanciful. I grew up and lived in this area for 20 odd years and everyone calls it 'Dunnes'.

Advertisement