Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

A shop that will pay rent purely selling cigarettes to students (you can't buy them on campus in UCD).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

errlloyd wrote: »
    A shop that will pay rent purely selling cigarettes to students (you can't buy them on campus in UCD).

It's not exactly convient for most students that go to UCD

ted1 wrote: »
    It's not exactly convient for most students that go to UCD

A decent amount of students would walk past it daily from the bus. If you shortcut across the pitches, and J walk the n11 between the footbridge and the flyover its quite close to Glenonema and Merville res.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

how is that anyway relevant? it's not like they're the first shop to ever sell cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I imagine the spar will do a decent enough trade outside of just cigarettes. There are a lot of apartments nearby in Cranford court and the Montrose residences for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I imagine the spar will do a decent enough trade outside of just cigarettes. There are a lot of apartments nearby in Cranford court and the Montrose residences for example.

This area is a grocery shopping desert. Woodbine Spar is the only one around... They'll have plenty of regulars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

mhge wrote: »
    This area is a grocery shopping desert. Woodbine Spar is the only one around... They'll have plenty of regulars.

Yeah ever since the maxol garage closed many moons ago. Does the car repairs place do groceries aswell as coffee

how is that anyway relevant? it's not like they're the first shop to ever sell cigarettes.

It was never meant to be critical of it. People often comment on here with their analysis of how businesses will perform when they open (or why they didn't perform when they shut). I think this spar will do well because it has a competitive advantage over one of it's nearest competitors (the centra on campus).

New computer repair place where the garden centre in Cornelscourt used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Girlfriend was in http://www.1909.ie/ newish restaurant in Dalkey recently. We hadn't been too impressed with the menu when it first opened but she and her friends thought it was great.
    There's another restaurant opening up soon Wanderlust which we'd been hoping would be like http://mak.ie/ as it's the same owners but they seem to have a very odd mix of stuff on the menu photos we've seen on facebook so far. Who knows, could be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Would agree with the assessment of 1909. Paid a visit a few weeks back for the first time and had a top notch meal - had resisted going for a whle as it looked a bit stuffy from the outside. However, atmosphere was good (not as good as across the road in De Villes, but still better than most restaurants) and food a cut above the other comparable places in Dalkey. You do have to like your steak though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stephen15 wrote: »
    New computer repair place where the garden centre in Cornelscourt used to be

+1 Signage says they will tackle Computers, Consoles, Phone and TV. Shutters down today so not sure when they're opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

It was given the green light according to the following link:

http://cspwprdfe.cloudapp.net/casenum/243503.htm

This was after all of the appeals.

turns out that this was all much ado about eff all. The premises will be taken over by Grapevine (currently on St Patrick's Rd).

http://postimg.org/image/g97gtksf1/

turns out that this was all much ado about eff all. The premises will be taken over by Grapevine (currently on St Patrick's Rd).

Great stuff a much better fit than s soulless MNC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Yeah, I saw that alright. I would say that Caffe Nero called it quits with the strong local opposition they faced. The amount of signatures gathered in the petition against it was startlingly big at well over 300. With the number of cafes and pubs (doubling as cafe), Nero would have been entering an already saturated market. However, the argument against multinational organizations in the town is ludicrous.
    Great stuff a much better fit than s soulless MNC.

Let me pose this question to you. If an Insomnia opened in Dalkey, would you be okay with it because it is Irish (i.e. not an MNC)?

Let me pose this question to you. If an Insomnia opened in Dalkey, would you be okay with it because it is Irish (i.e. not an MNC)?

Nope, I tend to support soul traders. They add more character to places and tend to get more involved with the community. Insomnia is a MNC with outlets in the UK

Dalkey is a village , not a town

Em Dalkey would nearly as a small town as opposed to a village it's big enough to be a small town it would almost be in the same calibre as blackrock, greystones and stillorgan while I would agree it's sleepier than most of those place. Bray and dl would be larger towns while the likes of cabinteely, foxrock, stepaside, shankill, cornelscourt and kiliney would all be villages. Glastule and monkstown would be a continuation of dun laoghaire

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Em Dalkey would nearly as a small town as opposed to a village it's big enough to be a small town it would almost be in the same calibre as blackrock, greystones and stillorgan while I would agree it's sleepier than most of those place. Bray and dl would be larger towns while the likes of cabinteely, foxrock, stepaside, shankill, cornelscourt and kiliney would all be villages. Glastule and monkstown would be a continuation of dun laoghaire

It's a village. Definitely not a town

It's a village. Definitely not a town

Well it's bigger than say cabinteely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Nope, I tend to support soul traders. They add more character to places and tend to get more involved with the community. Insomnia is a MNC with outlets in the UK

Dalkey is a town. Also, there is a Paddy Power agent in Dalkey and it has crossed to the UK making it a multinational. Did you object to its presence in the town lands of Dalkey?

Just because the town is comprised mostly of sole traders doesn't mean that every business which sets up there has to follow this model. As long as MNC's and sole traders alike are creating employment, there is no good reason why they shouldn't be able to co-exist in a town. I didn't see any objections when Eurospar was operating in the area and that is very much a multinational as it is headquartered in the Netherlands. Even Supervalu's parent company, Musgraves operates stores in the UK and Mainland Europe.

Anyway, back to the main topic. A new pizza place is opening up in Park Pointe in Glenageary.

• Advertisement

Dalkey is a town. Also, there is a Paddy Power agent in Dalkey and it has crossed to the UK making it a multinational. Did you object to its presence in the town lands of Dalkey?

Just because the town is comprised mostly of sole traders doesn't mean that every business which sets up there has to follow this model. As long as MNC's and sole traders alike are creating employment, there is no good reason why they shouldn't be able to co-exist in a town. I didn't see any objections when Eurospar was operating in the area and that is very much a multinational as it is headquartered in the Netherlands. Even Supervalu's parent company, Musgraves operates stores in the UK and Mainland Europe.

Anyway, back to the main topic. A new pizza place is opening up in Park Pointe in Glenageary.

Eurospar is a franchise owned locally

Don't get me started in pizza places ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Yet, you were hell bent on trying to stop this lovely new and welcomed Nordic Makers, shop to Dun Laoghaire get off its feet in Lower Georges Street. https://nordicmakers.com/pages/dublin-store
    From their website it says they stock goods from the Faroe Islands. I https://nordicmakers.com/know many people who will boycott them for that reason.

By the way, did you bother to put your hand in your pocket and open up a business in Tumble Weed City a.k.a. Dun Laoghaire? or do you just sit on the fence aiming stones at any new horse and cart that might enter into "your territory" daring to make a living, provide employment and pay towards the upkeep of the very fence you sit on.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Yet, you were hell bent on trying to stop this lovely new and welcomed Nordic Makers, shop to Dun Laoghaire get off its feet in Lower Georges Street. https://nordicmakers.com/pages/dublin-store

By the way, did you bother to put your hand in your pocket and open up a business in Tumble Weed City a.k.a. Dun Laoghaire? or do you just sit on the fence aiming stones at any new horse and cart that might enter into "your territory" daring to make a living, provide employment and pay towards the upkeep of the very fence you sit on.

I'm against the Nordic shop for ethical reasons. So that's completely different, than supporting soul traders

I did put my hand in my pocket and part owned a shop there, but we outgrew Dun Laoighre and moved it to town. If you look above Harry's you'll still see our pink sign ;)
    So you deep that little rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

What in the name of jeebus is a soul trader

Synode wrote: »
    What in the name of jeebus is a soul trader

I think it's a fishmonger with a crap selection?

I think it's a fishmonger with a carp selection?

Fixed your post ^

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Couple of closures in Blackrock recently.

The nail agency, beside AIB. Mothercare and little fish designs in the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I'm against the Nordic shop for ethical reasons. So that's completely different, than supporting soul traders

I did put my hand in my pocket and part owned a shop there, but we outgrew Dun Laoighre and moved it to town. If you look above Harry's you'll still see our pink sign ;)

So thanks to support from local customers your business grew and you moved out........!

Good job the same local customers supported you and helped you grow, instead of sitting on the town walls throwing stones at new businesses.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 Signage says they will tackle Computers, Consoles, Phone and TV. Shutters down today so not sure when they're opening.

Looks like they should be open in the next couple of days works going on in Robbins just two doors up at the moment I hear it's meant to be a new god damn cafe the trend that spread from Dalkey to Cabinteely is now hitting Cornelscourt.

• Advertisement

Chinasea wrote: »
    So thanks to support from local customers your business grew and you moved out........!

Good job the same local customers supported you and helped you grow, instead of sitting on the town walls throwing stones at new businesses.

Actually very few of our customers were local ,we were selling shoes for 600 euro. Don't see his I'm thrown stones sitting on a wall.

But bravo on going to the bother of looking up an old post and taking it out of contexts

Advertisement