Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

'That's amore' Is about to open in Monkstown Village where Kelly's Irish food, or whatever it was, used to be.
    It appears to be a cafe/restaurant? No info online yet, just the painted exterior.

Glad to see something in there, as it has been vacant for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I heard there is another "€2 style" shop opening in DL, near the Miami Cafe I think.

Also, Eddie Rockets are meant to be moving in to where Easons were. Anyone else hear that?

It would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I heard there is another "€2 style" shop opening in DL, near the Miami Cafe I think.

Also, Eddie Rockets are meant to be moving in to where Easons were. Anyone else hear that?

It would be good.

Another 2 euro shop ? there's already the 2 euro shop and Euro Saver in the town as well as Dealz in Bloomfields ! Eddie Rockets will be a good addition too, maybe competition for Gourmet Burger tho. Any news on Nando's? i saw a sign outside but havent seen any building or renovating or the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Another Empty Pockets?
    they've already got the in Blackrock & Stillorgan, do they really need another one so near?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Captain Americas in Tallaght is closing.

• Advertisement

gillapino wrote: »
    Another 2 euro shop ? there's already the 2 euro shop and Euro Saver in the town as well as Dealz in Bloomfields ! Eddie Rockets will be a good addition too, maybe competition for Gourmet Burger tho. Any news on Nando's? i saw a sign outside but havent seen any building or renovating or the likes.

Yeah, that's what I said. There is ZERO need for another of those shops. :confused:
    Another Empty Pockets?
    they've already got the in Blackrock & Stillorgan, do they really need another one so near?

Ah I reckon it will be good for DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

No. Who told you that?

No. Who told you that?

Someone that owns a shop in DL heard about it.

Not sure where they heard it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ush1 wrote: »
    Captain Americas in Tallaght is closing.

Closed as of 8pm Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gillapino wrote: »
    Another 2 euro shop ? there's already the 2 euro shop and Euro Saver in the town as well as Dealz in Bloomfields
    The newer €2 shop doesn't seem to do much business. They are both similar enough, so weird if they can get the business. Though I hear some places might be going cheap rent wise just to have them kept warm basically, this must be how those "clothes for cash" places can operate.
    Another Empty Pockets?
    I don't see how it will compete with the others in dun laoghaire. BK is very near the old easons and I never see it that full. All it really has going is being later opening, and some eddies serve beer now. I overheard a guy working in abras saying how dead it was, that he worked there 10+years ago and was incomparable now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

I see that sports store across from the Bottletower in Churchtown has closed.

Its now an American nail bar or something,...

Does anybody know if it was any good? I presume it cant have had much of a range or couldnt compete with the stores in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Do you mean the Shoe Nook? I'd say its main problem was lack of parking, also the fact that it was a bit on its own on the other side of the road from the Bottle Tower and that strip of shops. I'd imagine that Dundrum finished it off.

It's sort of representative of the fragmentation of shops and services in Churchtown. There's at least five distinct shopping areas: Nutgrove SC, the Bottle Tower area, Supervalu, Landscape Road, and Braemor Road...

Yeah, The Shoe Nook.

Your right about the parking, although there is parking beside the pub it just seemed like a bit of effort or something..

Of course I had thought about going in 100 times,but I imagined it to be expensive or maybe out of date...

dunno why really... probably closed down because of people like me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not sure if it's been mentioned, but Halpenny Golf has opened in The Park Carrickmines, beside Hardy Normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Has the toy shop (former Knowles electrical) Georges st shut down?

It was open two weeks ago anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Also looks like a new Sushi restaurant is getting ready to open in Terenure as well, a few doors up from Lisa's Trattoria

Anyone got any more details on this? Searches on boards and search engines for Terenure+Sushi isn't showing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Was open today, And also a new 2 euro style shop ! nearly opposite another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agentino

Another Closure I can confirm is Opticks Opticians on 53 Lower Georges Street in Dun Laoghaire after closing their Store off Grafton Street at Christmas. See this beauty of a quote from Richard Bruton in 2011.

Talk about a waffler

http://www.irishpressreleases.ie/2011/10/10/south-anne-street-optician-opens-new-shop-in-dun-laoghaire-opticks-will-create-40-new-jobs-over-the-next-5-years/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Is Robbins pub on York Road, Dun Laoghaire, closed?
    Passed by it the other day and it looked dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

policarp wrote: »

The other reopened pub next to M&S (pier name) has had the shutters down of late too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

policarp wrote: »

Has been closed for quite some time. Approaching a year I would say.
    The other reopened pub next to M&S (pier name) has had the shutters down of late too.

Ah yes, The Pier Inn. Heard it was boycotted by a lot of the former Weirs regulars. This definitely seemed to be the case the few times I visited it. It was VERY quiet and none of the usual suspects were around! Seemingly they sacked all the previous staff in very poor fashion. I don't know the full story.

Honestly, anybody renting/buying a pub in Dún Laoghaire in this day and age must have rocks for brains!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Has been closed for quite some time. Approaching a year I would say.

He doesn't seem to have much luck in the pub business.
    The Cumberland closed a few years ago also.

Probably posted already,..

but I just passed through Terenure and see Rathdown motors is closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

agentino wrote: »
    Another Closure I can confirm is Opticks Opticians on 53 Lower Georges Street in Dun Laoghaire after closing their Store off Grafton Street at Christmas. See this beauty of a quote from Richard Bruton in 2011.

Talk about a waffler

http://www.irishpressreleases.ie/2011/10/10/south-anne-street-optician-opens-new-shop-in-dun-laoghaire-opticks-will-create-40-new-jobs-over-the-next-5-years/

these guys had the dumbest business plan i have ever seen.
    In the middle of a deep recession set up a shop and charge hugely extorsionate prices of glasses when you have specsavers up the road!
    what did they expect!
    :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

SHOE ZONE in the Irish life mall
    And pride and joy euro shop in donaghmede

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ah yes, The Pier Inn. Heard it was boycotted by a lot of the former Weirs regulars. This definitely seemed to be the case the few times I visited it. It was VERY quiet and none of the usual suspects were around! Seemingly they sacked all the previous staff in very poor fashion. I don't know the full story.

Honestly, anybody renting/buying a pub in Dún Laoghaire in this day and age must have rocks for brains!

Passed the pub on Saturday around lunchtime and it looked busy.

Reads have opened up in the old Celtic Bookmakers premisses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

fisher8181 wrote: »
    these guys had the dumbest business plan i have ever seen.
    In the middle of a deep recession set up a shop and charge hugely extorsionate prices of glasses when you have specsavers up the road!
    what did they expect!
    :rolleyes:

Is that speciality Coffee shop still open down near Argos? (as in they sell equipment and beans etc.) That also looked like a very big gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Is that Goose cafe in DL gone? Drove past it last week and it was not open. Shame as it looked lovely, but imagine it was at the wrong end of DL :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Is that speciality Coffee shop still open down near Argos? (as in they sell equipment and beans etc.) That also looked like a very big gamble.

Yeah I think it's still open, no idea how it is still going. Is the other coffee shop on Convent Road still open? They seemed to do good business. Speaking of which I see there is a convenience store on Convent Road, as well a Chinese takeaway around the corner.
    Is that Goose cafe in DL gone? Drove past it last week and it was not open. Shame as it looked lovely, but imagine it was at the wrong end of DL

Noticed it had closed, always seemed to have a decent amount of business so it's a bit surpirsing to see it closed, guess it goes to show how difficult is having a business in this climate. Alas, everytime I go by LA Strada I'm hoping they've reopened. Heard they might open in the summer again... great family restaurant.

Advertisement