Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

ted1 wrote: »
    Nope, I tend to support soul traders. They add more character to places and tend to get more involved with the community. Insomnia is a MNC with outlets in the UK. Dalkey is a village , not a town
    Let me pose this question to you. If an Insomnia opened in Dalkey, would you be okay with it because it is Irish (i.e. not an MNC)?

Just a rhetorical question...if your €600.00 shoe shop were to turn into a chain/empire, would you refuse to move back into Dun-Laoghaire, Dalkey etc.

So I see you cock your nose yet again (as per quotes above) against another potential business that dares take up a business in one of the ample boarded up vacant premises in a town/village/city... If you want to overlook the point and continue to flippantly spout negativity than I have nothing further to debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chinasea wrote: »
    Just a rhetorical question...if your €600.00 shoe shop were to turn into a chain/empire, would you refuse to move back into Dun-Laoghaire, Dalkey etc.

So I see you cock your nose yet again (as per quotes above) against another potential business that dares take up a business in one of the ample boarded up vacant premises in a town/village/city... If you want to overlook the point and continue to flippantly spout negativity than I have nothing further to debate.

When you resort to name calling , it generally implies that your wrong.

If you can't see the difference between an owner run shop who takes a vested interest and gets involved with the local community and one being ran by staff on minimum wage who turns up and goes home then you are wrong person to be having this conversation with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Synode wrote: »
    What in the name of jeebus is a soul trader

Guessing he means sole trader (ie indigenous independent one store only trader) as opposed to a trader who sings like James Brown.

Personally, I think multinationals and independents can successfully co-exist to meet the requirements of all consumers in the catchment area. It's a free market and no one is being forced to shop in any store. I think there is a bit of pretentious, wannabee hipster snobbery from those who turn their noses up at chains that attempt to move into an area. I think it's the chains that often raise the bar with their standards and competitive pricing and some independents can't handle that. If those independents are already so confident of their superior product and service, then then need not fear of the competition a chain will bring. The customers that fret about same should not fear also as they can continue to shop where they like and let others choose to shop in chains as they wish without mocking them or calling them bandwagon sheep or generally acting superior to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ongarboy wrote: »
    Personally, I think multinationals and independents can successfully co-exist to meet the requirements of all consumers in the catchment area. It's a free market and no one is being forced to shop in any store. I think there is a bit of pretentious, wannabee hipster snobbery from those who turn their noses up at chains that attempt to move into an area. I think it's the chains that often raise the bar with their standards and competitive pricing and some independents can't handle that. If those independents are already so confident of their superior product and service, then then need not fear of the competition a chain will bring. The customers that fret about same should not fear also as they can continue to shop where they like and let others choose to shop in chains as they wish without mocking them or calling them bandwagon sheep or generally acting superior to them.

But it's not really a level playing field, when many of the multinational chains use their international structures to effectively avoid paying corporation tax.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/starbucks-pays-corporation-tax-of-less-than-4200-342002.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Any chance we can get back on topic here and move the conversation above elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

crushproof wrote: »
    Any chance we can get back on topic here and move the conversation above elsewhere?

Kitchen 62 and the Silver Moon Cafe both gone from Upr Georges St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Kitchen 62 and the Silver Moon Cafe both gone from Upr Georges St.
    Kitchen 62 seemed to be doing well.

Never knew the other place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

frash wrote: »
    Kitchen 62 seemed to be doing well.

Never knew the other place.

Silver Moon is gone a while now and apparently it was down to their landlord's situation somehow. Kitchen62 posted on Facebook that it's also due to circumstances beyond their control and that they will be back soon. I hope so - it's a nice place! Could they have the same landlord?

mhge wrote: »
    Silver Moon is gone a while now and apparently it was down to their landlord's situation somehow. Kitchen62 posted on Facebook that it's also due to circumstances beyond their control and that they will be back soon. I hope so - it's a nice place! Could they have the same landlord?

it's quite possible, I think there's only one unit between them. I'll miss them too.

On a positive note the following properties all have gone from "to let" to "reserved":

- the former gourmet burger place beside Meadow & Byrne
    - McGovern's (was last a pharmacy)
    - the garage in Glasthule (formerly Murtagh's DIY)

and the new coffee shop beside Juggy's Well in Glasthule is coming along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

it's quite possible, I think there's only one unit between them. I'll miss them too.

On a positive note the following properties all have gone from "to let" to "reserved":

- the former gourmet burger place beside Meadow & Byrne
    - McGovern's (was last a pharmacy)
    - the garage in Glasthule (formerly Murtagh's DIY)

and the new coffee shop beside Juggy's Well in Glasthule is coming along nicely.

Beyond excited about this! Any hints on the name?

Also, has the plan for a Cafe du Journal opposite the Spar in Glasthule been abandoned? Seems to be taking an age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Also, has the plan for a Cafe du Journal opposite the Spar in Glasthule been abandoned? Seems to be taking an age.

There's building work going on, but it looks residential rather than commercial.

There's building work going on, but it looks residential rather than commercial.

from memory, the work that is going on is residential - the other half of the building was to be Cafe du Journal, but that hasn't been touched yet, as far as I can see.

No idea of the name of the new place yet.

Gleeson's of Booterstown are converting their first floor into a small (16 rooms I heard) hotel/guesthouse.

from memory, the work that is going on is residential - the other half of the building was to be Cafe du Journal, but that hasn't been touched yet, as far as I can see.

No idea of the name of the new place yet.

Gleeson's of Booterstown are converting their first floor into a small (16 rooms I heard) hotel/guesthouse.

Thanks for the info!

Interesting - could definitely have seen a demand for that kind of thing until recently but I imagine Air BnB has dampened that somewhat. Hope they do well with it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Has the farmhouse inn gone went passed it last night and it was all closed up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Has the farmhouse inn gone went passed it last night and it was all closed up

Yeah and they auctioned off everything including urinals :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

well that's just taking the p!ss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Any idea who or what is going in there ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

uch wrote: »
    Any idea who or what is going in there ?

building houses AFAIK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

New Indian Restaurant just opened on Cumberland Street Dun Laoghaire.

Looking very good. Prices extremely reasonable. Have not tried as yet, but colleagues from work said it was excellent.

More information on Facebook: Delhi Rasoi
    7 Cumberland Street, Dun Laoghaire Tel: 01 908 1531/1532

i.e.:
    Starters
    Onion Bhaji (5 pieces!) €3.50
    Tandooori Sheekh Kebab (4 pieces) €5.00

Mains:

Lamb Rogan Josh €8.50
    Chicken Jalfrezi €8.00
    Channa Saag €6.00

Pilau Rice: €1.75
    Naan : €1.75

Wishing them the very best of luck.

Irish Times mentioning that House is to take over Walters (posted in here months ago), and that Scrumdiddly are to open a shop near the People's Park. I noticed today that the McGoverns premises isn't reserved any longer, gone back to plain old "to let".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Irish Times mentioning that House is to take over Walters (posted in here months ago)

By House, do you mean the following business?

http://housedublin.ie/

By House, do you mean the following business?

http://housedublin.ie/

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,081 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Irish Times mentioning that House is to take over Walters (posted in here months ago), and that Scrumdiddly are to open a shop near the People's Park. I noticed today that the McGoverns premises isn't reserved any longer, gone back to plain old "to let".

It'll be like the Korean peninsula down there with Teddy's and themselves!

:P

If you ask me I don't see what the hype about scrumdiddlys what they sell is nothing special to say the least. It's weird that when they first nobody on this thread thought they'd do well as they were at the wrong end of dl.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you ask me I don't see what the hype about scrumdiddlys what they sell is nothing special to say the least. It's weird that when they first nobody on this thread thought they'd do well as they were at the wrong end of dl.

Bleedin' northsiders

ted1 wrote: »
    Bleedin' northsiders

Scum of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 24,081 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is that you Teddy?

do Teddy's own the ice cream parlour on Marine Road, beside Easons? That always seems to be empty, no matter the weather/time of day/size of the queue outside ScrumDs.

:eek::eek:

Imma just leave this here...

http://img2.thejournal.ie/inline/2156365/original/?width=500&version=2156365

In fairness, it isn't a great location as you do have to kind of go out of your way a little. I think they will be twice as busy at the people's park, especially with the sunday market or people heading there after lunch in F&B etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The Dun Laoghaire economy is arguably over reliant on ice cream. I am curious to see how this works out.

Advertisement