Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Stephen15 wrote: »
    If you ask me I don't see what the hype about scrumdiddlys what they sell is nothing special to say the least. It's weird that when they first nobody on this thread thought they'd do well as they were at the wrong end of dl.
    if you read back you will see a few saying its a bad location, which I agree with, and from then on nearly all posts were saying how well they are doing, and how good the ice cream was.

It's obvious to me that they DO sell something special if they have done so well despite the poor location. I have heard from lots of people remarking how good it is compared to "boring" teddys, and bringing the kids down who love it.

posted 20mins ago
    You can't beat a cone..... Or can you??
    Introducing a sugared cream puff cone, filled with melted Ferrero topped with our real dairy ice cream, a fresh irish strawberry and a drizzle of melted cadbury chocolate.... We call it the 'pimped 99
    12809708_1063888290338846_3420387741059901856_n.jpg?oh=06574bfe3bcf15046571745ccd034a2d&oe=5783FF88&__gda__=1469185811_a8efc352f52b371b399c780663996eb7

Not sure what you consider "special" to be, but I have never seen anything like that come out of a typical shop with a ice cream machine.

https://www.facebook.com/scrumdiddlysworld

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

errlloyd wrote: »
    The Dun Laoghaire economy is arguably over reliant on ice cream. I am curious to see how this works out.

And coffee shops , the council love them people's park, lexicon and the baths are three alone that have/will been put their by the council on top of all the commercially built ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I see the new spar/insomnia at the old montrose is now open for buisness

rubadub wrote: »
    It's obvious to me that they DO sell something special if they have done so well despite the poor location. I have heard from lots of people remarking how good it is compared to "boring" teddys, and bringing the kids down who love it.

I suppose their ice cream is quite nice it just wouldn't really be my taste, its good that they're not that overpriced either. The best ice cream in dun laoghaire in my opinion is the little hut at the east pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Beyond excited about this! Any hints on the name?

sign's up - it's going to be called Hatch Coffee. No idea if it's any relation to either Hatch & Sons or Hatch Cold Pressed :D

• Advertisement

I hear boots is opening up in carrickmines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Boots is becoming the new Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Not sure what you consider "special" to be, but I have never seen anything like that come out of a typical shop with a ice cream machine.

It's just shedloads of sugar though, I mean look at this thing, it has a crust of pure white sugar all over it, and puff pastry underneath before you even get to the ice cream and toppings, I bet it's easily a child's calorie limit for the day. I tried SD once and even though I took mostly fruit as toppings it was just unbearably sweet as compared to a regular 99. I've seen some SD cups with melting ice cream left in them thrown on the Dart floor. If even kids can't handle it it tells you something... I always think about SD when I read about another anti child obesity campaign. I suppose that if it sells it sells but I can't see it as a particularly good thing.

Maybe I'm a real simpleton but I think hb ice cream is the nicest. The only thing that's better is the ice cream you get in italy or germany which is top quality. In Germany italian immigrants set up italian style ice cream parlors instead of setting up chippers like they did here as I'm not a big fan of chipper fare myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

if you read back you will see a few saying its a bad location, which I agree with, and from then on nearly all posts were saying how well they are doing, and how good the ice cream was.

posted 20mins ago

That looks great. Far too few companies in Ireland think outside the box and push things away from the standard. Thats why Scrumdiddlys is doing so well. I must actually go there.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm a real simpleton but I think hb ice cream is the nicest. The only thing that's better is the ice cream you get in italy or germany which is top quality. In Germany italian immigrants set up italian style ice cream parlors instead of setting up chippers like they did here as I'm not a big fan of chipper fare myself.

try Bel Gelato in Dalkey, opposite McDonagh's. I think that's the kind of thing you are looking for. We had a couple of real Italian ice cream places in the town we lived in in the UK, and BG is the closest thing I've seen to them in Ireland.

sign's up - it's going to be called Hatch Coffee. No idea if it's any relation to either Hatch & Sons or Hatch Cold Pressed :D

opened this morning, they are serving 3fe coffee, which has got some of the locals excited :D €2 a coffee for the opening week. Nice inside, all exposed brickwork etc. Coffee was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

opened this morning, they are serving 3fe coffee, which has got some of the locals excited :D €2 a coffee for the opening week. Nice inside, all exposed brickwork etc. Coffee was good too.

Great news - passed it on Sunday and looked very hipster :) A little disappointed they are not doing their own roasting, but 3fe isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I hear boots is opening up in carrickmines

According to todays Irish Times, Boots are opening in the old Howard's Storage World unit.

ongarboy wrote: »
    According to todays Irish Times, Boots are opening in the old Howard's Storage World unit.

I was there recently yes it's where howard storage world was its opening on the 27th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I was there recently yes it's where howard storage world was its opening on the 27th

Not surprised Howard's Storage is gone - prices were crazy on some stuff

frash wrote: »
    Not surprised Howard's Storage is gone - prices were crazy on some stuff

I think they're in Dundrum now. Ile have to agree with you on that most they sell is the kind of you'd get in idea.

Some hair and beauty place going in beside Tesco Express in Glenageary / Honey Park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

frash wrote: »
    Some hair and beauty place going in beside Tesco Express in Glenageary / Honey Park

Is there another empty lot there? I'd love a local cafe like the gourmet cafe in ballybrack sc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Dun laoghaire: carraig donn and Fuji shop in the centre closing/ closed. Motion picture on Georges street also looks empty. I'm in shock- thought the town was making a comeback. On the plus side people before profit appear to finally be doing something about the front of their unit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Is there another empty lot there? I'd love a local cafe like the gourmet cafe in ballybrack sc

planning permission up on one of the units there for an Italian restaurant of some sort.

planning permission up on one of the units there for an Italian restaurant of some sort.

Base Wood Fired Pizzas I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Texaco beside the Tara towers appears to be gone. I suppose it was only a matter of time once the sale agreed sign went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Texaco beside the Tara towers appears to be gone. I suppose it was only a matter of time once the sale agreed sign went up.

Not surprised, it was one of the most expensive filling stations on the southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

coylemj wrote: »
    Not surprised, it was one of the most expensive filling stations on the southside.

Applegreen have purchased it

Applegreen have purchased it

I see the esso in sandymount changed to topaz aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I see the esso in sandymount changed to topaz aswell.

All Esso filling stations are bring rebranded as Topaz....

The Denis O’Brien-owned fuel group Topaz Energy has been cleared by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission to purchase Esso’s fuels and convenience business in Ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/denis-o-brien-owned-topaz-gets-clearance-for-esso-acquisition-1.2393411

coylemj wrote: »
    All Esso filling stations are bring rebranded as Topaz....

The Denis O’Brien-owned fuel group Topaz Energy has been cleared by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission to purchase Esso’s fuels and convenience business in Ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/denis-o-brien-owned-topaz-gets-clearance-for-esso-acquisition-1.2393411

That's explains it so. Won't be long till every garage in the country is a topaz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They're absolute robbery around my area. I avoid like the plague

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just to confirm that [redacted] has sold Topaz to the Canadians, who obviously need to recoup that €450million by keeping their prices above everyone else...

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/denis-o-brien-sells-topaz-for-estimated-450m-1.2451560

Advertisement