Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Dixons (owners of Currys & PC World) have completed a takeover of Carphone Warehouse, and have announced the closure of up to 15 stores.
    So Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre at serious risk of another empty unit (as well as locations in Blackrock, Sandyford & Nutrgrove)

Also Xtravision gone into liquidation, with the Glenageary/Sallynoggin branch likely to close.
    Carphone Warehouse in Blackrock has closed with signs in the window advising customers to go to their store in Dun Laoghaire SC so it looks like the latter may survive the purge. A rare win for DLSC.

Down the road in Monkstown, Kanoodle, which opened just over a year ago, has been replaced by the Thai Palace Inn. Is Kanoodle a franchise operation? Might be just a name change in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Slightly off topic I see there is some work going on down the back of dunnes in Cornelscourt are they putting in back entrence on to the n11. I can some winners and losers here the winners being dunnes customers who now have direct access on to the n11 and don't have negotiate the traffic nightmare entering dunnes ,obivously dunnes themselves who's probability will be increased and residents using living in Cornelscourt who will now have less traffic. The losers being n11 non dunnes customers having to deal with extra traffic especially bus commuters epeically. I hope if this entrance is built the side entrance is blocked up as it is a nightmare for pedestrians on the footpath a number of times as a pedestrian I've nearly been knocked down walking along the footpath there.

I see there's a new a waterless car wash now open in underground car park in blackrock sc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic I see there is some work going on down the back of dunnes in Cornelscourt are they putting in back entrence on to the n11

I'd be very surprised at that given how it would be such a major hindrance to buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Slightly off topic I see there is some work going on down the back of dunnes in Cornelscourt are they putting in back entrence on to the n11. I can some winners and losers here the winners being dunnes customers who now have direct access on to the n11 and don't have negotiate the traffic nightmare entering dunnes ,obivously dunnes themselves who's probability will be increased and residents using living in Cornelscourt who will now have less traffic. The losers being n11 non dunnes customers having to deal with extra traffic especially bus commuters epeically. I hope if this entrance is built the side entrance is blocked up as it is a nightmare for pedestrians on the footpath a number of times as a pedestrian I've nearly been knocked down walking along the footpath there.
    Not sure about an entrance, there was a planning notice beside the foot bridge. I suspect it's an upgrading of the junction and cycle path.

Several of the junctions are being upgraded with better cycle paths etc.

Here's a planning app for the centre: http://planning.dlrcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=D16A/0108&theTabNo=3&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=1699572%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href='wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=1933180%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=rgndat:desc%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=1699572%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E'%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Afaik they are just using the back of the store as a base for the work starting inside the store at the end of may

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

After years of rumours IKEA are finally opening in Carrickmines (scaled down version)

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ikea-set-to-open-second-dublin-store-34717980.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I got word in work today that in Cherrywood business park there will be a
    Starbucks
    Barbers
    Dentist
    Pharmacist
    Retail banking unit.
    They currently have builders in to get the units ready.

crazyderk wrote: »
    I got word in work today that in Cherrywood business park there will be a
    Starbucks
    Barbers
    Dentist
    Pharmacist
    Retail banking unit.
    They currently have builders in to get the units ready.

Starbucks is in their cherrywood website as coming soon. I would have thought that the lighthouse and Insomnia would have had clauses in their lease preventing other places selling coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I believe the Mens Hair Co. (who are in Dun Laoghaire) are opening a shop there, which will be handy.

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    After years of rumours IKEA are finally opening in Carrickmines (scaled down version)

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ikea-set-to-open-second-dublin-store-34717980.html

Any idea where it will go?

For a summer opening, I presume it is in an existing building, but I can't think of anything big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

For a summer opening, I presume it is in an existing building, but I can't think of anything big enough.

15000 sq ft so a lot smaller than Ballymuns 33000sq m

As below from journal.ie it wont be a proper ikea store but a "new format"

"The new outlet will act primarily as a planning studio - to plan and order more complex purchases such as kitchens, wardrobes and sofas.

However the outlet will not carry the full product range to take home, but customers will be able to order from the Ballymun IKEA store for home delivery or for collection at the collection point.

In addition, a small range of products will be available for customers to take home.

It will also offer free wi-fi and a small selection of take-home Swedish Food Market products."

It's not their convential store, its for collecting online orders, they'll have computers and staff to help you design kitchens and rooms and keep some stock on display

ted1 wrote: »
    It's not their convential store, its for collecting online orders, they'll have computers and staff to help you design kitchens and rooms and keep some stock on display

It's still going to be around the size of DFS though, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Between woodies and dfs apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Traffic is going to be mental into Carickmines once that opens

It's still going to be around the size of DFS though, isn't it?

I'm not sure , it depends on the warehouse size and if the model is like Argus where people pick your order or if they allow you to pick your own as is standard in larger ones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It could really effect parking in that end of the retail park though. The underground is almost never even half full, but the surface parking usually is.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Between woodies and dfs apparently.

I didn't realise there was an empty unit there, but it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

errlloyd wrote: »
    It could really effect parking in that end of the retail park though. The underground is almost never even half full, but the surface parking usually is.

There's an overflow underground one at that end that no one knows about. They might put the signs up

• Advertisement

mhge wrote: »
    There's an overflow underground one at that end that no one knows about. They might put the signs up

It's sign posted as staff only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Ah ok - I only overheard people talking about it, perhaps they were staff, or they missed the signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Starbucks is in their cherrywood website as coming soon. I would have thought that the lighthouse and Insomnia would have had clauses in their lease preventing other places selling coffee

I was told that the Starbucks is going in on the other corner of the same block as the Lighthouse (i.e. to the left of the gym as you look at it, Lighthouse being on the right).

Hopefully for the Lighthouse's sake I was told wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

crazyderk wrote: »
    Traffic is going to be mental into Carickmines once that opens

I imagine many southsiders and customers from South Leinster will still travel to the Ballymun store for the full Ikea experience as the carrickmines store will be an order and collect store only with only a limited range of on site stock. Ballymun is about 380000 square feet vs Carrickmines proposed 15000 sq feet. (ie 20 times smaller store). No bigger than a typical PC World or Currys store. Only 30 staff are to be employed at the Park whereas over 450 work at Ballymun to give you another comparison context.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Winners, Losers, traffic nightmare :confused: Sorry but you're seriously jumping the gun there. None of the proposed changes involve any of the vehicular access points to the centre - it's a relatively minor reconfiguration of the space inside the building that's proposed and now approved. If you park at the rear surface car park in future, you will have to enter via the door opposite the pedestrian access point to the multistorey car park because the existing pedestrian entrance at the rear close to the oratory will be replaced by a display window. The other entrances will be retained and none of the vehicle entrances will be affected.

DLR Co Co would never in a million years give them direct access to the N11, even if the NRA agreed which they wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

ongarboy wrote: »
    I imagine many southsiders and customers from South Leinster will still travel to the Ballymun store for the full Ikea experience as the carrickmines store will be an order and collect store only with only a limited range of on site stock. Ballymun is about 380000 square feet vs Carrickmines proposed 15000 sq feet. (ie 20 times smaller store). No bigger than a typical PC World or Currys store. Only 30 staff are to be employed at the Park whereas over 450 work at Ballymun to give you another comparison context.
    To be fair, the appeal will probably be the fact that you can click and collect in Carrickmines without having to meander through a maze of showrooms. For most of us, the "full Ikea experience" wears pretty thin after the first few visits. For most (but not all things), Ikea is probably best experienced via a catalogue.

A cafe/deli from what I gather is going in Cornelscourt beside The Grafton Barber that row of shops seems to be doing well now this will now mean every shop that was there five years ago has gone and been replaced by a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 In The Conversation

A couple of additions in recently vacant premises on NewtownPark Avenue.

A new cake shop where Cakes and Co was previously. Called Gluttony 2.0.

A funeral home has gone in where the Londis was on Newtown Park.

A funeral home has gone in where the Londis was on Newtown Park.

That's a bit morbid..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That's a bit morbid..

In fairness, people have been dying for a funeral home to open in the area...

I'll get my coat.

Advertisement