Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a booming trade, theres people dying now that never died before...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

In fairness, people have been dying for a funeral home to open in the area...

I'll get my coat.

Ye like its the dead centre of the town why not open up there?

I'll also grab my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 46 In The Conversation

I hope they may a go of it. Too many I've seen that have (de)ceased trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,446 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why would anyone open a new funeral parlour? It's a dying business after all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

coylemj wrote: »
    Why would anyone open a new funeral parlour? It's a dying business after all ;)

It's a dead cert to make a profit though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hard to make money from it when you've no repeat customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Moving along, you lot are killing this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I see the texaco garage beside the Tara towers is reopened as an applegreen garage. Didn't look at the prices mind you but applegreen garages are usually relatively cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,446 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I see the texaco garage beside the Tara towers is reopened as an applegreen garage. Didn't look at the prices mind you but applegreen garages are usually relatively cheap.

When the old Shell filling station on the N11 at Mt. Merrion reopened as Applegreen a while back, they were a few cents cheaper than their neighbours for a while, obviously a promo to get customers in but they eventually got back in line. So I'd expect that place beside the TT to be a few cents cheaper for a few weeks, not hard considering the fact that the old Texaco place was very expensive, it was obviously patronised by people who paid no attention to the price.

Not sure if it's just me but I've noticed that filling stations on the southside have fallen into a narrow pricing band as of late (i.e. less variation than previously) - it's currently 134/135 for unleaded almost everywhere

coylemj wrote: »
    Not sure if it's just me but I've noticed that filling stations on the southside have fallen into a narrow pricing band as of late (i.e. less variation than previously) - it's currently 134/135 for unleaded almost everywhere

I was down at the former esso now topaz in sandymount which was 137 so I just put €20 as I was low. I think that's what keeps expensive garages in buisness the people who just put €20 in when they're low and go to cheaper garages when they putting in a big fill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I was down at the former esso now topaz in sandymount which was 137 so I just put €20 as I was low. I think that's what keeps expensive garages in buisness the people who just put €20 in when they're low and go to cheaper garages when they putting in a big fill.

Pumps.ie shows that Texaco Sandymount or Maxol Ringsend would have been 2c a litre cheaper. It's worth checking unless you're running on empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I heard that the Henhouse was closing :eek: and that their unit was getting knocked into the Gourmet Burger one for Eddie Rockets/Rockets.

Rockets open now in the former Gourmet Burger place. Happily, the Henhouse appears unscathed.

The Italian Food Cafe on Convent Rd is now permanently closed.

The Italian Food Cafe on Convent Rd is now permanently closed.

That's a real shame.

Lovely guy, lovely food and lovely coffee. Sad to see him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,525 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The tea rooms at killiney hill were closed for a few days while there was a change of management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

That's a real shame.

Lovely guy, lovely food and lovely coffee. Sad to see him go.

agreed, but the selection was pathetic, you could have cleared the shelves and not filled 2 bags

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It was a really bad location for such a shop.

I wonder how many people actually knew the shop was there in the first place?

CatFromHue wrote: »

right in front of a school with an ethnically diverse mix of children, bored parents waiting to collect so probably quite a good location ?

I always thought those italian food places would be doing quite alright I've never been to that particular one but what I imagine most of them do is just go out to italy with a refirigerated van go to the italian equivalent of Musgraves and stock it up then charge double the price of what it would be in italy

I always thought those italian food places would be doing quite alright I've never been to that particular one but what I imagine most of them do is just go out to italy with a refirigerated van go to the italian equivalent of Musgraves and stock it up then charge double the price of what it would be in italy

hahaha!! there's a place in Smithfield and another Italian wholesaler. some great Italian shops in Bray FYI!

not a business closing or opening - but a planning notice in the window of my favourite dun laoghaire coffee shops,- Leonardo's - suggests that it'll be changing to a takeaway with the rear of the premises converted to apartments. shame that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

damian139 wrote: »
    not a business closing or opening - but a planning notice in the window of my favourite dun laoghaire coffee shops,- Leonardo's - suggests that it'll be changing to a takeaway with the rear of the premises converted to apartments. shame that

Leonardos are actually expanding. :D The vacant unit beside them is being fitted out.

This is a quality place, the parents of the owner make many of their cakes. My gawwd they are fabulous. People rave bout the coffee too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

CatFromHue wrote: »

I had an office nearby when they opened but sadly things never really seemed to get going for them. It's a poor location for such a business - I'd almost argue for any retail business.
    If you want to sell coffee and paninis and pay the bills you better be in a location to sell an awful lot of it.

I'm not sure they took a lot of business from the school. Given the location it seemed kids were collected and parents were on their way.

Hope they give it another try elsewhere.

Does anybody know what the situation is with the units to the left of O'Briens. Seem to have been idle since they were built??

Does anybody know what the situation is with the units to the left of O'Briens. Seem to have been idle since they were built??

IIRC, someone on here said that Just Wing It are opening up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

About time. I would have thought that was prime retail space if such a thing exists in DL.

They sound like a great fit for the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Rockets open now in the former Gourmet Burger place. Happily, the Henhouse appears unscathed.

Thanks for the heads up. I just went in there today for a Chili Dog and Garlic & Cheese Fries and it was delicious. :D

Coincidentally, I was looking up the plans for it there today and according to the application here, the Decision is "REQUEST ADDITIONAL INFORMATION".

Either-way, I think "Just Wing It" and "Rockets" are very welcome additions to the town. The inclusion of a Burrito Bar to the former is a especially welcome by yours truly. :)

When's this urban beach opening in dun laoghaire it was meant this summer but I haven't heard anything about in over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,525 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When's this urban beach opening in dun laoghaire it was meant this summer but I haven't heard anything about in over a year.

That's a council project , see ya in 2030.

I did see a barge at the mail pier during the week that looked like it wasn't fit for leaving the harbour. It looks like may have been laying the pipes for the heat exchanger

ted1 wrote: »
    That's a council project , see ya in 2030.

I did see a barge at the mail pier during the week that looked like it wasn't fit for leaving the harbour. It looks like may have been laying the pipes for the heat exchanger

So it will take ages to build, go well over budget, have to be 're-done in six months time and never, ever maintained to an acceptable standard?

Chinasea wrote: »
    Leonardos are actually expanding. :D The vacant unit beside them is being fitted out.

This is a quality place, the parents of the owner make many of their cakes. My gawwd they are fabulous. People rave bout the coffee too.

delighted to be proven wrong about this. great cafe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I heard the urban beach is a Harbour Company development? I think the Council are doing the Baths scheme, whenever that happens....

Advertisement