Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So I hear Five Guys are finally opening in Ireland Dundrum being rumoured as the first location

Edited: This news is now confirmed opening in Dundrum this Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Looking forward to seeing their Irish prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

SimonMaher wrote: »

Really hope they manage to get 2 good anchors - think TK Maxx would do well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Really hope they manage to get 2 good anchors - think TK Maxx would do well there.

There's one in carrickmines so I don't think it would draw many people assay from retail park with plenty of free parking

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ted1 wrote: »
    There's one in carrickmines so I don't think it would draw many people assay from retail park with plenty of free parking

I think it would attract more footfall to the shopping centre and therefore lead to more shops. TK Maxx would be ideal for the centre.

I have heard rumours they are taking two floors, anyone else hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Until they sort out parking and the cost of it, Dun Laoghaire will never prosper. Why would you go there and pay over €2 an hour when you can go to other places like Carrickmines, that is free, or Dundrum, that is €2 for the first 3 hours? I know poeple who would drive a bit further so that they could shop in peace with out worrying about the parking cost. Yes it may cost more in time and petrol to go elsewhere but they still would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

murpho999 wrote: »
    I have heard rumours they are taking two floors, anyone else hear this?

it wouldn't be two full floors, it would be a unit in the corner where Graham O'Sullivan's used to be, with an "upstairs" that would form part of the top floor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Until they sort out parking and the cost of it, Dun Laoghaire will never prosper. Why would you go there and pay over €2 an hour when you can go to other places like Carrickmines, that is free, or Dundrum, that is €2 for the first 3 hours? I know poeple who would drive a bit further so that they could shop in peace with out worrying about the parking cost. Yes it may cost more in time and petrol to go elsewhere but they still would.

Of course, parking isn't really free in Carrickmines - just free to the driver. All the costs of providing the parking spaces and markings and security are built in to the rents that the businesses are paying, and therefore built into the prices that the end-customer is paying.

https://urbanful.org/2014/07/07/free-parking/

Of course, parking isn't really free in Carrickmines - just free to the driver. All the costs of providing the parking spaces and markings and security are built in to the rents that the businesses are paying, and therefore built into the prices that the end-customer is paying.

https://urbanful.org/2014/07/07/free-parking/

But yet stores where they have free parking charge the same in their branches that don't have beer parking.

But yet stores where they have free parking charge the same in their branches that don't have beer parking.

'Beer parking'? Sounds like an interesting facility!

Just like stores that pay high rents charge the same as stores that pay low rent - So the group balances out the costs across the group. It doesn't mean that the costs aren't very, very real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭nuttyboy79

But the whole point is for me as a driver if I go to Dun Laoghaire and for example park in Bloomfields have a wander around buy nothing and leave I get to pay 2.40 for parking. The same wander around Carrickmines costs me nothing.

As for TK Maxx opening so close to Carrickmines they're in Dundrum too so there is a possibility they would look at Dun Laoghaire and most likely do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

nuttyboy79 wrote: »
    But the whole point is for me as a driver if I go to Dun Laoghaire and for example park in Bloomfields have a wander around buy nothing and leave I get to pay 2.40 for parking. The same wander around Carrickmines costs me nothing.

But the whole point is that you can't compare a giant, Giant, purpose built, retail experience packed full and benefiting from all the garnered years of marketing tactics, retail-tricks, commercial clobber etc., outta town, shopping centre/shopping city; with a little old hundred plus year town like Dun Laoghaire or the other tons of failing towns that compete with the free or cheaper parking retail experiences. ITS NOT ALL ABOUT YOUR CAR, which by the looks of things, most people would park in the central shopping isle if they could, (for free or a money off voucher).

Add to that your on-line sales of which I bet many of the people who constantly moan about parking use.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

RosieJoe wrote: »

Why should the car get priority over everything?
    Dun Laoghaire is a town where people live and work etc. It also has good public transport links.
    It's also a nicer environment to shop in than a soulless US style retail park like Carrickmines.
    The idea that parking is so important for retail is disproven when you look at the city centre where parking is exorbitant but the shops are busy. Mostly full of shoppers who are not in their cars.
    Why can’t Dun Laoghaire do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why should the car get priority over everything?
    Dun Laoghaire is a town where people live and work etc. It also has good public transport links.
    It's also a nicer environment to shop in than a soulless US style retail park like Carrickmines.
    The idea that parking is so important for retail is disproven when you look at the city centre where parking is exorbitant but the shops are busy. Mostly full of shoppers who are not in their cars.
    Why can’t Dun Laoghaire do that?

There is the type that'll only be seen on a nice Sunday, near the park of course, and probably wouldn't be seen dead on public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

At last some good news for the main street of Dún Laoghaire. There hasn't been anything good really for 25 years apart from Bloomfields. Schools closing, college closed, shops not fit for modern purposes, Ericsson closing ect. Maybe this will turn the tide.

themont85 wrote: »
    At last some good news for the main street of Dún Laoghaire. There hasn't been anything good really for 25 years apart from Bloomfields. Schools closing, college closed, shops not fit for modern purposes, Ericsson closing ect. Maybe this will turn the tide.

There's being several times when DL had good news but all shot down by PBP and NIMBYS.

nuttyboy79 wrote: »

Unless you think that somebody gave away the land on which the Carrickmines parking is located for free, and somebody painted the marking for free, and the security guys who supervise it are unpaid volunteers, you know the parking in Carrickmines is not free - it's just built into the prices that you pay in the shops there.

Unless you think that somebody gave away the land on which the Carrickmines parking is located for free, and somebody painted the marking for free, and the security guys who supervise it are unpaid volunteers, you know the parking in Carrickmines is not free - it's just built into the prices that you pay in the shops there.

You missed the part about buying nothing.

Bottom line is if I buy a top in the carrickmines shop it'll cost 10 euro. To buy it in dun Laoighre will cost 12.40.

customers don't care what kind of economics go on in the back ground the bottom line what the product costs them.

You missed the part about buying nothing.

Bottom line is if I buy a top in the carrickmines shop it'll cost 10 euro. To buy it in dun Laoighre will cost 12.40.

customers don't care what kind of economics go on in the back ground the bottom line what the product costs them.

How often do people go to Carrickmines and buy nothing? No coffee, no snack, no weedkiller in Woodies? It's not exactly the nicest place to spend leisure time - people go there to shop.

You can put your hands over your eyes/ears like the see-no-evil monkeys if you like, but that doesn't change the facts - you're paying for the parking. There is no free lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

How often do people go to Carrickmines and buy nothing? No coffee, no snack, no weedkiller in Woodies? It's not exactly the nicest place to spend leisure time - people go there to shop.

You can put your hands over your eyes/ears like the see-no-evil monkeys if you like, but that doesn't change the facts - you're paying for the parking. There is no free lunch.

I don't think you get what he's saying.

While you are probably right the cost of the free parking may be spread across all the stores and you do pay for it in some way, the same product will be the same price in different branches.

So if I buy in carrickmines I pay the price + underlying costs, if I buy in DL I pay the price + underlying costs + the cost of parking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Really?

Every time I go there it feels like people have nothing better to do than take the family to Carrickmines for the day.

It's like the IKEA of south Dublin!

It's like the IKEA of south Dublin!

Isn't that due to open this month ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Your point of view is ridiculous. It's like saying you're not actually walking around a city for free. Because as soon as you buy something you're paying to walk around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Plus e2 or whatever spent on parking while you walk around dunleary seafront isnt wasted, difficult to imagine a more lovely environment. Carrickmines retail park is what it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

This is getting boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Ballyogan retail park is a sh1thole firstly despite it saying its Carrickmines it's in Ballyogan to appeal to poshies to go too. I wouldn't want to spend longer than five minutes in the place would only go there if I really needed something. Would much prefer shopping dl it's pity there's hardly any shops in the place. I don't parking is the only issue in dun laoghaire it's lack of decent shops or any shops for that matter. If dl had a few decent shops people might actually go to it but there's very few shops left in DL that aren't either charity or pound shops. Hown come people go dundrum if you have to pay for parking. If parking in DL was made free I'm sure many people will just hope on the Dart or 46a to be never seen again. While I don't think parking in DL should it should lowered to a nominal fee to cover the cost of providing the meter, inpectors and clampers Bray seafront not that bray is a leading light for DL has relatively cheap parking at a rate that is deemed acceptable by BMD to cover the costs but for DLRCO its just a racket and even more so DHC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Just walked by The Hen House there. "The Hen House is now closed. Thank you for all your custom over the years" is what the sign said.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Ballyogan retail park is a sh1thole firstly despite it saying its Carrickmines it's in Ballyogan to appeal to poshies to go too. I wouldn't want to spend longer than five minutes in the place would only go there if I really needed something. Would much prefer shopping dl it's pity there's hardly any shops in the place. I don't parking is the only issue in dun laoghaire it's lack of decent shops or any shops for that matter. If dl had a few decent shops people might actually go to it but there's very few shops left in DL that aren't either charity or pound shops. Hown come people go dundrum if you have to pay for parking. If parking in DL was made free I'm sure many people will just hope on the Dart or 46a to be never seen again. While I don't think parking in DL should it should lowered to a nominal fee to cover the cost of providing the meter, inpectors and clampers Bray seafront not that bray is a leading light for DL has relatively cheap parking at a rate that is deemed acceptable by BMD to cover the costs but for DLRCO its just a racket and even more so DHC.

Dundrum is 2 euro for 3 hours. And is a much nicer place than fun Laoighre shopping Center , it also has a 360 degrees radius to draw customers, Dun Laoighre has 180.

You're Ballyogan comments sound like a complete rant.

DLRCoCo have over enforced parking and people are simple petrified to go near the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Ballyogan retail park is a sh1thole firstly despite it saying its Carrickmines it's in Ballyogan to appeal to poshies to go too. I wouldn't want to spend longer than five minutes in the place would only go there if I really needed something.
    I know this was a bit of a rant. But it points to a broader issue. There seems to be a disconnect between how some people view Dun Laoghaire and how it is viewed by the broader population of Dublin. The seafront of DL is nice, but currently there is nothing vibrant or unique to bring people there when compared to either urban villages (Ranelagh, Sandymount etc), suburban shopping centres (Dundrum, but also Stillorgan etc) or retail parks (Carrickmines etc). If anything, it's less accessible than any of these locations, unless you're travelling by Dart.

Honestly, regarding the post above, unfortunately Dun Laoghaire doesn't carry massively more cachet than Ballyogan right now. Howth and Malahide are great examples of what a seaside village can be, and it doesn't require competing with retail parks or the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Anyway, back on topic. Vanilla Pod in Blackrock are due to open by the end of July. The former Starbucks space in the Blackrock post office building is still to let.

Advertisement