Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

wally79 wrote: »
    I don't think you get what he's saying.

While you are probably right the cost of the free parking may be spread across all the stores and you do pay for it in some way, the same product will be the same price in different branches.

So if I buy in carrickmines I pay the price + underlying costs, if I buy in DL I pay the price + underlying costs + the cost of parking

You would expect the underlying costs to be less in a shopping centre with paid parking (DL) and a shopping centre with 'free' parking (Carrickmines) - all other things being equal. So the consumer in Carrickmines ends up paying more.
    Really?

Every time I go there it feels like people have nothing better to do than take the family to Carrickmines for the day.

It's like the IKEA of south Dublin!
    Yes, but you do see them with Woodies bag or a Heatons bag or Halfords bag in their hands or all three by the end of the day, after a coffee in Costa of course. They really don't generally go there and walk away without paying for something =.
    Synode wrote: »
    Your point of view is ridiculous. It's like saying you're not actually walking around a city for free. Because as soon as you buy something you're paying to walk around the city.
    No, pavements are a public service and are paid for out of taxes. Car park space in private shopping centres are not paid from taxes.
    ted1 wrote: »
    DLRCoCo have over enforced parking and people are simple petrified to go near the area.
    In fairness, they did get John Waters.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/john-waters-briefly-jailed-over-non-payment-of-parking-fine-1.1514807

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

You would expect the underlying costs to be less in a shopping centre with paid parking (DL) and a shopping centre with 'free' parking (Carrickmines) - all other things being equal. So the consumer in Carrickmines ends up paying more.

I'd be very surprised if there was a price difference on a product bought in Boots in Carrickmines and Boots in DL.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lads, seriously, wrap it up about car parking and stop dragging the thread OT. Create a new thread if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

This thread ends up talking about Dun Laoghaire every 6 months or so. I wish people would just create a dedicated thread for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Synode wrote: »
    This thread ends up talking about Dun Laoghaire every 6 months or so. I wish people would just create a dedicated thread for it

They did but it's not used often
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056601896

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lidl are to open in Shankill shopping centre, the existing tenants have have got official letters saying that Lidl are now their landlords.

I imagine that they could open it fairly fast, as from the outside it looks ready to go.

I'd be very surprised if there was a price difference on a product bought in Boots in Carrickmines and Boots in DL.

Generally there's not, because they spread all costs across the group. You don't pay more in a branch with higher rent. But the costs of 'free' parking is still there, and is still ultimately paid by the consumer.

Generally there's not, because they spread all costs across the group. You don't pay more in a branch with higher rent. But the costs of 'free' parking is still there, and is still ultimately paid by the consumer.

QED the equivalent item in DL is 2.40 dearer because of parking charges

Ok done. Sorry everyone for dragging off topic again

Lidl are to open in Shankill shopping centre, the existing tenants have hootenanny official letters saying that Lidl are now their landlords.

I imagine that they could open it fairly fast, as from the outside it looks ready to go.

Hootenanny?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Lidl are to open in Shankill shopping centre, the existing tenants have hootenanny official letters saying that Lidl are now their landlords.

That's a shame, the other upmarket supermarket rumoured to be going in might have been better.

• Advertisement

Hootenanny?

Some times I think the predictive text on my phone is in Arabic

QED the equivalent item in DL is 2.40 dearer because of parking charges

Ok done. Sorry everyone for dragging off topic again

No, if you can buy it in a store in DL that doesn't have a branch in Carrickmines, you might well get it for €3 cheaper saving 60c overall, because they didn't have to build the cost of the 'free' parking in Carrickmines into their margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

No, if you can buy it in a store in DL that doesn't have a branch in Carrickmines, you might well get it for €3 cheaper saving 60c overall, because they didn't have to build the cost of the 'free' parking in Carrickmines into their margins.

Parking is important though to the quintessential car owner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I'm not about to negotiate Dun Laoghaire traffic and the 1970s hole that is the Dun Laoghaire car park with its narrow spaces and ramps and pay through the nose for car parking on the off chance that I might save 60c. I place a value on my sanity and on my time.

Carrickmines, Dundrum, Ballyogan/Leopardstown, Stillorgan and online are easier and more convenient. Blackrock & Frascati, Merrion, Liffey Valley are all competitors as well and I'd rather go to any of them than Dun Laoghaire.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I'm not about to negotiate Dun Laoghaire traffic and the 1970s hole that is the Dun Laoghaire car park with its narrow spaces and ramps and pay through the nose for car parking on the off chance that I might save 60c. I place a value on my sanity and on my time.
    I've never suggested that anyone should go to one or other places. I'm just pointing out that there is no such thing as free parking. The customer pays, one way or other.

I've never suggested that anyone should go to one or other places. I'm just pointing out that there is no such thing as free parking. The customer pays, one way or other.

But pays double in some places

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The issue with DL is that it's the council that are taking in a high proportion of the car parking money because king idiot Owen Keegan has a vendetta against cars.

Carrickmines and Dundrum were built privately and understood to be successful they had to have large amounts of cheap spaces and built it into the design from the beginning, making the incidental cost of providing spaces much much less than a business in DL.

Of course the businesses don't cover the parking directly, they negotiate the rents based on the area and footfall. The much higher footfall in Carrickmines will more than make up for the higher rents than setting up in the shopping wasteland that is DL.

The only time I'd go near DL is for the pier, shopping goes elsewhere. I live on the Dart line, and near the bus, but car is more convenient and cheaper (once you accept you have to have one) to bring the family around in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,086 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Hen House restaurant on the Metals has closed for good, note on the door.

By the way, Owen Keegan hasnt been the boss in DLR for over 2 years. The current county manager is a woman whose name escapes me but i do know the Councillors make decisions on parking ansd have been pestered over it by businesses including me for a long time. On the other hand, my clients find it very convenient to park on street at my office

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Larbre34 wrote: »

By the way, Owen Keegan hasnt been the boss in DLR for over 2 years. The current county manager is a woman whose name escapes me but i do know the Councillors make decisions on parking ansd have been pestered over it by businesses including me for a long time. On the other hand, my clients find it very convenient to park on street at my office

Put it up 2 pages ago but got lost in the parking debacle :rolleyes:
    Real shame it is. Next door tenants both gone since the start of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

probably losing the battle with Nandos, and with Just Wing It opening soon, it was the right time to close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yes, he's been promoted up to destroy Dublin City Centre, hopefully they offload him to make misery in Brussels sooner or later. DL have already been unwinding his decisions, but need to go further if they want to be relevant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Current DLR boss is Philomena Poole. Wheels move very slowly when it comes to decision-making on things like this, particularly in the expanded "county" with a decision for Dun Laoghaire having to be agreed to by Councillors from the far side of the area too. The parking issue comes up regularly at meetings (which you can watch online if you have a week to spare!) and you can see the progress that gets made when it's discussed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

does anyone know what is going in on the site vacated by the Playwright pub on Newtownpark Avenue.
    It is taking forever and a day to complete.

The lovely coffee shop Encore is gone from the shopping centre in Blackrock,under supervalu,it relocated to the Merrion Centre because the rent was too high.

Vanilla Pod,cafe already in Carrickmines is opening there.

Mary63 wrote: »
    does anyone know what is going in on the site vacated by the Playwright pub on Newtownpark Avenue.

The lovely coffee shop Encore is gone from the shopping centre in Blackrock,under supervalu,it relocated to the Merrion Centre because the rent was too high.

Vanilla Pod,cafe already in Carrickmines is opening there.
    Makes you wonder how one coffee shop says rent is to high and another one opens

• Registered Users Posts: 25,446 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mary63 wrote: »

There has been endless speculation about what's happening but the reality is that nobody knows.

They spent a fortune dismantling the thatch and replacing it with a brand new tiled roof. The entrance on the car park side is still blocked by hoarding with the usual health & safety notices but there is no activity there these days.

As to what happens next, your guess is as good as anybody's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Makes you wonder how one coffee shop says rent is to high and another one opens

Depends how deep their pockets are which is why chains have competitive advantage. Esquires Coffee along with a few other tenants also opening in Blackrock SC.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/new-tenants-in-blackrock-shopping-centre-1.2719425

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

ongarboy wrote: »
    Depends how deep their pockets are which is why chains have competitive advantage. Esquires Coffee along with a few other tenants also opening in Blackrock SC.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/new-tenants-in-blackrock-shopping-centre-1.2719425

Good to see - though I think Lisa Perkins just moved from another unit so not technically new. I noticed a school book/toy shop up beside Dubray - it looked new but I may just not have noticed it before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Good to see - though I think Lisa Perkins just moved from another unit so not technically new. I noticed a school book/toy shop up beside Dubray - it looked new but I may just not have noticed it before :o

I think you're right. Lisa Perkins was near the entrance beside Next but it now occupies what used to be Mothercare. Mothercare was so handy. :-/

The shop between Dubray and Holland & Barrett is one of those discounted book shops. (Off topic: Funny to think Jackie Lavin had a boutique in Dubray's space in the early years of the centre.)

I was really sorry to see that the jewellery shop beside the gallery had closed - when did that happen?

astrofool wrote: »
    Yes, he's been promoted up to destroy Dublin City Centre, hopefully they offload him to make misery in Brussels sooner or later. DL have already been unwinding his decisions, but need to go further if they want to be relevant again.

Which of his decisions have they been unwinding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Take it to the Dun Laoghaire thread

Advertisement