Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

So HMV in Dundrum is closing soon. I wonder what might replace it. It's a pretty big store so hopefully something nice.

What's something Dundrum is missing?? It seems to have everything!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So HMV in Dundrum is closing soon. I wonder what might replace it. It's a pretty big store so hopefully something nice.

Topshop is one, but it's probably too small. A decent electronics shop like a pc world. It's a funny shape for many shops to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

errlloyd wrote: »
    A decent electronics shop like a pc world. It's a funny shape for many shops to be fair.

What about an Irish shop like DID or Powercity Dundrum really does lack any Irish owned retailers only one I can think of is Lifestyle, Elverys and a few restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What about an Irish shop like DID or Powercity Dundrum really does lack any Irish owned retailers only one I can think of is Lifestyle, Elverys and a few restaurants.
    BT2, Fitzpatrick shoes , Louis Copeland had a a shop there to but Hugo Boss took it back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Penneys, Eason, Carraig Donn also. There is a Topshop concession in HoF I think already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

ted1 wrote: »
    Louis Copeland had a a shop there to but Hugo Boss took it back

When did that happen. I was in Louis Copeland Dundrum last week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

An Avoca would be nice, again that unit is a bad shape for it though.

wally79 wrote: »
    When did that happen. I was in Louis Copeland Dundrum last week

Forgot that they had a store there, but they used to operate the Hugo Boss store as a franchise

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/hugo-boss-to-open-store-in-dundrum-town-centre-1.1346628

Pizza republic is opening beside Urbun is opening in Cabinteely village and The Olive Branch (formerly Londis) is gone from Cabinteely Village. I see the Applegreen shop in Monkstown is now a Centra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I see the Applegreen shop in Monkstown is now a Centra.

And should it affect anyone the atm is gone for approx 3 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pizza republic is opening beside Urbun is opening in Cabinteely village
    They didn't survive just up the road at the magic carpet, never looked busy as I passed, too expensive. Didn't last in killiney shopping centre either.

The Olive Branch (formerly Londis) is gone from Cabinteely Village.
    I wondered about them, went in about a month ago and the shelves were almost empty in the fridge, had more stuff in my own. The londis used to be the nearest place to me to buy ticketmaster tickets to avoid the ridiculous online fees, though you still paid something.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Mary63 wrote: »
    The lovely coffee shop Encore is gone from the shopping centre in Blackrock,under supervalu,it relocated to the Merrion Centre because the rent was too high.

Vanilla Pod,cafe already in Carrickmines is opening there.

Personally didn't find it to be a "lovely" coffee shop, food was miserable and expensive for what it was. Vanilla Pod in carrickmines does great trade, I wonder is that location dependent or because they have decent quality food?
    Dubl07 wrote: »

I was really sorry to see that the jewellery shop beside the gallery had closed - when did that happen?

About 6 weeks ago now I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

A Soul ! :D

21/25

rubadub wrote: »
    They didn't survive just up the road at the magic carpet, never looked busy as I passed, too expensive. Didn't last in killiney shopping centre either.

I'm surprised too that they're opening up considering Cornelscourt, Killiney and Leeseon all closed I assumed they had ceased trading.

uch wrote: »
    A Soul ! :D

And a bowling alley, it used to have a great one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Personally didn't find it to be a "lovely" coffee shop, food was miserable and expensive for what it was. Vanilla Pod in carrickmines does great trade, I wonder is that location dependent or because they have decent quality food?

A mix of good food and convenience for Foxrock yummy mummies I'd say.

Have you ever been in there mid morning on a week day? It's probably one of the reasons why that Mothercare is their busiest store.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Personally didn't find it to be a "lovely" coffee shop, food was miserable and expensive for what it was.
    Agreed, it was desperately poor, even down to the cleanliness. Surprised it lasted so long, although probably catered to a different market from some of the other coffee shops in Blackrock village.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The food is good but it's really the only "nice" place to eat in Carrickmines so how busy it is is hugely influenced by there isn't any real competition for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

A mix of good food and convenience for Foxrock yummy mummies I'd say.

Have you ever been in there mid morning on a week day? It's probably one of the reasons why that Mothercare is their busiest store.

Nope, only ever at the weekends & it was always jammed. Even people outside the door waiting to get a table!
    Agreed, it was desperately poor, even down to the cleanliness. Surprised it lasted so long, although probably catered to a different market from some of the other coffee shops in Blackrock village.

I'm not sure who it catered to! Always seemed dead!
    Ush1 wrote: »
    The food is good but it's really the only "nice" place to eat in Carrickmines so how busy it is is hugely influenced by there isn't any real competition for it.

Aye, that's what I was thinking alright. Will be interested to see how they do, their food seems a tad pricey for what it is, maybe they will get away with that in Carrickmines, but with a bit of competition in Blackrock they may have to price themselves a bit more competitively.

Insomnia have planning permission in for the unit and the cross roads in Ballybrack. ( change of use retail to coffee shop)
    I'd think it's an odd location for them but sure at least it's better than being empty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Insomnia have planning permission in for the unit and the cross roads in Ballybrack. ( change of use retail to coffee shop)
    I'd think it's an odd location for them but sure at least it's better than being empty

is that the unit diagonally across from the petrol station?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Coffee has truly taken over in this country.

BabyE wrote: »
    Coffee has truly taken over in this country.

A couple of cent worth of beans, tap water and a cardboard cup. All for 3 euro. I can see the attraction from an owners perspective

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

A couple of cent worth of beans, tap water and a cardboard cup. All for 3 euro. I can see the attraction from an owners perspective

Its so good though. 3 euro is crazy to pay on a regular basis for coffee though. Its the ultimate 'refill' drink but Irish places or Europe in general doesn't do refills(in my experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

New coffee shop & bakery open on Newtownpark Ave in Blackrock

Damn nice brownies!!

http://www.gluttony.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

FYI if you go to a high quality coffee shop (with freshly roasted high quality beans) the cost of the coffee beans is a lot more than a few cent - probably 50cent or more in some cases. Also a lot of people buy a coffee and sit and use wifi, space, heat for anything up to an hour. That costs money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

There was a sign on the window of the unit last week saying Rooms to Rent for GP's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

frash wrote: »
    New coffee shop & bakery open on Newtownpark Ave in Blackrock

Damn nice brownies!!

http://www.gluttony.ie/

Sounds lovely - where is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Sounds lovely - where is it?

Newtownpark Ave - beside the shops near the Texaco

Advertisement