Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Mig wrote: »
    There was a sign on the window of the unit last week saying Rooms to Rent for GP's

Considering that there are two GP clinics in the village already I dont think that they'll get any more in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

frash wrote: »
    New coffee shop & bakery open on Newtownpark Ave in Blackrock

Damn nice brownies!!

http://www.gluttony.ie/

will be interesting to see the pricing, hope they're not charging too much of a premium for being gluten-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

ted1 wrote: »
    A couple of cent worth of beans, tap water and a cardboard cup. All for 3 euro. I can see the attraction from an owners perspective

It's actually really hard to make money out of it.

A cup plus branding can take up to 30c off the price straight away. So from the remaining €2.70 you have your beans, milk, rent, your rates, commercial water, staff costs, light, heat, VAT, insurance, . etc

If commercial rates and rent weren't so bloody extortionate maybe the price of coffee etc would drop.

I see the Waldock Gallery in the Blackrock SC is also closing down. Will cease trading by the end of this month, having a huge sale on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

scrumqueen wrote: »
    I see the Waldock Gallery in the Blackrock SC is also closing down. Will cease trading by the end of this month, having a huge sale on at the moment.
    Has Blackrock SC been playing hard ball with rent reviews or something? Seems to be an awful lot of churn there lately.
    xper wrote: »
    Down the road in Monkstown, Kanoodle, which opened just over a year ago, has been replaced by the Thai Palace Inn. Is Kanoodle a franchise operation? Might be just a name change in reality.
    Fast forward three months and its Kanoodle again. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Food is excellent. Extremely reasonable too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

scrumqueen wrote: »

:(

It's another great loss to the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

ongarboy wrote: »
    Depends how deep their pockets are which is why chains have competitive advantage. Esquires Coffee along with a few other tenants also opening in Blackrock SC.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/new-tenants-in-blackrock-shopping-centre-1.2719425
    As per above, Esquires Coffee has now opened in Blackrock SC:

https://twitter.com/EsquiresIre/status/766225779718033408

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Has Blackrock SC been playing hard ball with rent reviews or something? Seems to be an awful lot of churn there lately.

No idea but you are right about the amount of closures, maybe the leases were up so people cut their losses? Would make sense since there were so many in this year.
    Chinasea wrote: »
    Food is excellent. Extremely reasonable too.

Fab quality food huge portions too - for eat in anyway. Had it delivered and recall being disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Sign outside the empty Restaurant over the Convenience Store/Insomnia in Monkstown says La Plancha opening in September. Not sure if its the same as the one beside the Wishing Well but may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Awaaf wrote: »
    Sign outside the empty Restaurant over the Convenience Store/Insomnia in Monkstown says La Plancha opening in September. Not sure if its the same as the one beside the Wishing Well but may be.

I reckon so. The one that was in Newtown Park recently announced it was moving to Monkstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

A temporary shop (till Jan 22nd) selling discounted Gant Footwear has opened in the former Corr's premises on Lwr Georges St. Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 46 In The Conversation

A clue on what is happening to the Playwright on NewtownPark Avenue:

The windows now have some signs which depict scenes in a generic supermarket. So it looks like it will be a supermarket. Just no idea which chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

A clue on what is happening to the Playwright on NewtownPark Avenue:

The windows now have some signs which depict scenes in a generic supermarket. So it looks like it will be a supermarket. Just no idea which chain.

Probably just a 'suggested uses' type thing used by letting agents.
    Shops in Donnybrook had them a while back during renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

frash wrote: »
    Probably just a 'suggested uses' type thing used by letting agents.
    Shops in Donnybrook had them a while back during renovations.

+1 the old AIB computer centre near Kielys (between O'Briens and BoI) is probably what you're thinking of. Or maybe the old Bryan S. Ryan place beside the fire station.

I don't think the Playwright site is suitable for a supermarket, the only place you can park is behind the premises in Newton Park and getting out of the place and on to Newtownpark Ave. would be a nightmare at busy times. I could see an application for 'change of use' PP being refused on the basis of access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

New restaurant opened in Leopardstown shopping centre a few weeks ago where the Chinese restaurant used to be. It's called Sivad and it's a steakhouse type place, they also do brunch. The cafe in Leopardstown shopping centre closed a while ago though.

There's also a new restaurant in Sandyford industrial estate called Woodfire & Green, it's near Pizzicato. Quite nice, but only open for breakfast and lunch, and only on weekdays.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 the old AIB computer centre near Kielys (between O'Briens and BoI) is probably what you're thinking of. Or maybe the old Bryan S. Ryan place beside the fire station.
    That's the Donnybrook House office block? It seemed to have a new faux facade every 6 months.

Looks like it's finally going to be redeveloped into offices, restaurants and a gym. Good use of a prime location:
    http://www.businessworld.ie/property-news/-Redevelopment-of-Donnybrook-House-and-The-Avenue-Sandyford-in-Dublin--565479.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

miezekatze wrote: »
    The cafe in Leopardstown shopping centre closed a while ago though.

I'm pretty sure I saw an ad online last week seeking staff for a new Costa Coffee in Leopardstown. It must be going into that old unit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Good to see the old AIB building getting a facelift, its deceptively large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Fab new bicycle shop opened (recently) on York Road Dun Laoghaire. Got some repairs done, and am very impressed.

The shop is groovy, with very tempting bikes for sale & hire. Coooooool.

Very reasonably priced too. Coffee, hot drinks, snacks for sale also.

Extremely reasonable, pleasant and a prompt turn around on repairs.

http://www.dlbcycles.ie/

https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cycle+shop+york+road+dun+laoghaire&lrd=0x48670c159c9950bb:0xe1ef44b958f354ea,1,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Starbucks opened its doors up in Cherrywood today. Work continues (slowly) on the other buildings.

Work continues on the insomnia in Ballybrack Village and it should open within a couple of weeks.

Ridge house which has planning permission for a medical center has rented out some rooms but work is ongoing so it'll be a while before anyone moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Chinasea wrote: »
    Fab new bicycle shop opened (recently) on York Road Dun Laoghaire. Got some repairs done, and am very impressed.

The shop is groovy, with very tempting bikes for sale & hire. Coooooool.

Very reasonably priced too. Coffee, hot drinks, snacks for sale also.

Extremely reasonable, pleasant and a prompt turn around on repairs.

http://www.dlbcycles.ie/

https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cycle+shop+york+road+dun+laoghaire&lrd=0x48670c159c9950bb:0xe1ef44b958f354ea,1,

and slightly off topic but for all novice cyclists (or even experienced ones) they sell Tannus solid tyres and fit them for you. About twice the price of normal tyres and tubes but no puncture worries ever and good for 10,000kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I'm pretty sure I saw an ad online last week seeking staff for a new Costa Coffee in Leopardstown. It must be going into that old unit.

Oh that would be handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Correct. Taking 2 units I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

I see a new Dyson store has popped up in Central Park, Sandyford. It's in one of the retail units by munchies.

I only ran past it today in a rush so not sure if it's actually open but it looked fully kitted out and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

bricky06 wrote: »
    I see a new Dyson store has popped up in Central Park, Sandyford. It's in one of the retail units by munchies.

I only ran past it today in a rush so not sure if it's actually open but it looked fully kitted out and ready to go.

I saw this too when running by.... very odd.
    Wasn't sure if it was actually offices for them?
    Not exactly many retail units around Central Park and where would customers park?

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea it's an odd one alright. It looks like a showroom of Dyson products.

The original plan for Central Park was that the ground floor units would all be retail units. They all lay empty until this year when the beauty salon moved in and now Dyson have opened up.

A few of the retail units were re-purposed as office space though.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Heard the Spar in Blackrock village was closing down this weekend. Rumour of a Subway going in there instead.

Planning for replacing the old cinema in Mount Merrion was denied, so Flanagan's furniture is (re)opening.

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/stella-mount-merrion-plans-on-hold-for-now-35037996.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Ikea collection point in Carrickmines is open... but they are charging e15 for delivery there! Thanks but no thanks.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/ikea-to-charge-collection-fee-of-15-at-new-carrickmines-store-1.2789590

Advertisement