Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mhge wrote: »
    Ikea collection point in Carrickmines is open... but they are charging e15 for delivery there! Thanks but no thanks.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/ikea-to-charge-collection-fee-of-15-at-new-carrickmines-store-1.2789590

6 euro saved on tolls. Approx 40km saved on travel, saves another 6 euro in petrol . So that's 12 euro and I'm sure I'll save money on impulse purchases and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

ted1 wrote: »
    6 euro saved on tolls. Approx 40km saved on travel, saves another 6 euro in petrol . So that's 12 euro and I'm sure I'll save money on impulse purchases and time.

But if it's small it can wait until you have something else to sort out on the northside, and if it's big you probably don't want to buy it unseen....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No you won't.....

.... customers based in the southern part of the city, or further south in Wicklow or Wexford, will avoid the extra journey and tolls involved in visiting the brand’s flagship store in Ballymun. They won’t, however, avoid a visit to the “market hall”, where purchases of candles, picture frames and storage boxes can quickly drive up the cost of your cheap bookcase.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/ikea-to-charge-collection-fee-of-15-at-new-carrickmines-store-1.2789590

coylemj wrote: »
    No you won't.....

.... customers based in the southern part of the city, or further south in Wicklow or Wexford, will avoid the extra journey and tolls involved in visiting the brand’s flagship store in Ballymun. They won’t, however, avoid a visit to the “market hall”, where purchases of candles, picture frames and storage boxes can quickly drive up the cost of your cheap bookcase.

The misses was there on Saturday, said it's very badly stocked . She left without buying anything which is generally unheard of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I saw a sign up on the old Blakes site in stillorgan couldn't figure out what it was for whether it was a sign for a construction firm or whatever might be going in there or just an advertisement anyone have any more info on it.

• Advertisement

The misses was there on Saturday, said it's very badly stocked . She left without buying anything which is generally unheard of

Thanks for the heads up on that. With floorspace only 1/20 of Balllymun and a €15 charge for collection, that leaves zero reasons to visit Carrickmines.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I saw a sign up on the old Blakes site in stillorgan couldn't figure out what it was for whether it was a sign for a construction firm or whatever might be going in there or just an advertisement anyone have any more info on it.

The limited access means the site will never get PP for anything other than what it was previously - a nightclub and/or restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thanks for the heads up on that. With floorspace only 1/20 of Balllymun and a €15 charge for collection, that leaves zero reasons to visit Carrickmines.

I wouldn't say zero reason. If you know what you want and there's a lot items then I can see the point of the service. I don't know, for example, whether they have their kitchen or wardrobe planning service there but if they did I suspect it would be a lot easier to plan and order it there and collect a few days later than to trudge over to Ballymun.

The limited access means the site will never get PP for anything other than what it was previously - a nightclub and/or restaurant.

The fire didn't seem to do that much external damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

http://www.cairnhomes.com/blakes/
    Cairn are currently underway with a revised masterplan for the lands to include residential and commercial uses.

• Advertisement

What limited access? There's plenty of access

What limited access? There's plenty of access

There is one entrance on Stillorgan Hill to the old Blakes site. It's a road which gets clogged up and becomes a serious bottleneck the minute a large delivery van or beer truck parks outside the Stillorgan House pub, something which happens several times a day. No way would Aldi or any other retailer get PP to open a store on the Blakes site.

Getting into that site is relatively easy, getting out is another matter.

There is one entrance on Stillorgan Hill to the old Blakes site. It's a road which gets clogged up and becomes a serious bottleneck the minute a large delivery van or beer truck parks outside the Stillorgan House pub, something which happens several times a day. No way would Aldi or any other retailer get PP to open a store on the Blakes site.

Getting into that site is relatively easy, getting out is another matter.

They could open a entrance somewhere else, it's being done in many cases. There are three sides to the site with road frontage

Look at Albany opening up on to killiney hill road . Turning a Ballybrack address into a killiney one.

I see there's a new newsagent/convience store in botterstown beside the Old Punchbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Look at Albany opening up on to killiney hill road . Turning a Ballybrack address into a killiney one.
    How would you determine addresses?

If I want to check a postal address I use the address an post tell you to use. Shanganagh Road gives a fairly even mixture of 2 areas, killiney and dublin 18.

I notice many people jump at the chance to "correct" people and say a place is not killiney but ballybrack, always presuming people must be snobs or something. Its quite telling/obvious as its much rarer to hear them butt in and say "that's not killiney, its dalkey"

They could open a entrance somewhere else, it's being done in many cases. There are three sides to the site with road frontage

If it's that simple, why didn't Blakes open an entrance on to the N11 or the link road years ago when they were operating a family restaurant and virtually all of their customers arrived in cars?

Suggestion: DLR co. co. said 'sod off'.

If it's that simple, why didn't Blakes open an entrance on to the N11 or the link road years ago when they were operating a family restaurant and virtually all of their customers arrived in cars?

Suggestion: DLR co. co. said 'sod off'.

Let's wait and see . I imagine thst the cost for 1 restaurant to open an entrance would be prohibitive as oppose to several commercial units and a number (rough guess 100 units) of residential units.

rubadub wrote: »
    How would you determine addresses?

If I want to check a postal address I use the address an post tell you to use. Shanganagh Road....,

If always say anything from the roundabout to the garage is Ballybrack , the road from the roundabout to druids is Killiney and military road/Killiney hill rd to apple green is the DMZ

As for Dalkey, I'd say that starts at the dalkey sign on the Vico rd. then the roundabout by Killiney hill and Saval park

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

If always say anything from the roundabout to the garage is Ballybrack , the road from the roundabout to druids is Killiney and military road/Killiney hill rd to apple green is the DMZ

As for Dalkey, I'd say that starts at the dalkey sign on the Vico rd. then the roundabout by Killiney hill and Saval park

It includes one side of Castle Park Road AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Awaaf wrote: »
    It includes one side of Castle Park Road AFAIK.

an post have all the houses listed as sandycove. I wonder how an post go about collecting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Hearvee wrote: »
    http://www.cairnhomes.com/blakes/
    Cairn are currently underway with a revised masterplan for the lands to include residential and commercial uses.
    I am surprised to see that link seems to indicate that development would be confined to the Blake's site only. I had assumed that that site, the former Esmonde Motors premises and the couple of residential sites further along the Stillorgan Hill Rd that had all been allowed fall into dereliction were being assembled into a single development parcel by one party or other.

DLRCC's local development plan talks about a phased co-ordinated redevelopment of whole the district core in which phase one includes all the Stillorgan Hill derelict sites plus the Kilmacud Road slip road and the south side of the Stillorgan Bowl site with a possible reconfiguration of the local road junctions included (because access is an issue).

rubadub wrote: »
    an post have all the houses listed as sandycove. I wonder how an post go about collecting them.

Friends of mine lived in a large house in castle park and they would have always said Dalkey. Others friends lived just off it on arkendale rd and they would always say glenageary while my wife live on breffini rd and said sandycove. So that quadrant can be crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The middle of Castle Park road is the dividing line between Glasthule and Dalkey parishes and never the twain etc.

Back on topic, Golden Discs has closed in the DL Shopping Centre. Signs up saying they've moved. Don't know where to.

Coincidentally, it looks like a record shop (as in vinyl) is opening opposite Walters.

the new shop is called "the Vinyl" and will open in about 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

The middle of Castle Park road is the dividing line between Glasthule and Dalkey parishes and never the twain etc.

Back on topic, Golden Discs has closed in the DL Shopping Centre. Signs up saying they've moved. Don't know where to.

Coincidentally, it looks like a record shop (as in vinyl) is opening opposite Walters.

Golden Discs have moved which will allow O'Briens Sandwiches/Cafe to move out of the area under the stairs inside which will be taken up with the redevelopment. Couple of others will be moving around too to accommodate the works and new layout.

Couple of new Cafe/restaurant units opening too opposite the Centre on Georges Street in the old Totterdells unit and beside Ecco. The Royal Bank of Scotland building opposite the Church (the ESB shop!) will be a dental practice and there's another design shop to go into a unit opposite the Exhaust repair place down by the old Library. Good to see more people dipping their toes in the retail waters, choppy as they are!

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dun Laoghaire is on the brink of a renaissance, the chatter I'm hearing from a few bodies i know in commercial property is very exciting. Its going upmarket in a big way, the lead-ins like F&B and House are changing things, along with small non retail businesses beginning to crowd into the locality, bringing spending power and occupancy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire is on the brink of a renaissance, the chatter I'm hearing from a few bodies i know in commercial property is very exciting. Its going upmarket in a big way, the lead-ins like F&B and House are changing things, along with small non retail businesses beginning to crowd into the locality, bringing spending power and occupancy .

I'm not in the business at all, but I have high hopes for the revamped shopping centre with some large anchor shops, and doesn't Dunnes Stores plan to revamp their block a la what they did in St Stephen's Green?

One thing to improve would be that small block in front of Bloomfields... someone bought it but what could be done with it, realistically? It looks so grotty in there right now.

The Monkstown end of Georges St looks like a furniture & homewares destination already with its recent openings: from upmarket bespoke offerings all the way down to furniture focused charity shops.

heard today that House are due to open the bar in Walters by Christmas

(I also posted this last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

heard today that House are due to open the bar in Walters by Christmas

(I also posted this last year)

I haven't been down that end of town in a while - is there work being done on it? Didn't seem to be anything doing.

Anyone any details on the vinyl record shop mentioned above?

• Advertisement

Its finally happening Five Guys are opening this Saturday in Dundrum don't know where exactly mind you.

Edit: It's going to be beside Harvey Nicholls

Advertisement