Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Its finally happening Five Guys are opening this Saturday in Dundrum don't know where exactly mind you.

in the town centre anyway, this says monday,
    Dundrum Town Centre revealed on Twitter that Five Guys would be opening on Monday October 3rd at 11am.
    might need to visit the bank manager, the prices are meant to be ridiculous, no menu revealed for here yet.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/american-fast-food-restaurant-five-8925232

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rubadub wrote: »
    in the town centre anyway, this says monday,

might need to visit the bank manager, the prices are meant to be ridiculous, no menu revealed for here yet.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/american-fast-food-restaurant-five-8925232
    Those pictures really don't make it look appealing. And I do love a nice burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

ted1 wrote: »
    Those pictures really don't make it look appealing. And I do love a nice burger.

I've been to the one in Edinburgh a couple of times, it is near where I work over there. The burgers are very tasty. Burger chips and Coke was about £12 I think, so quite expensive, but worth it for a treat. They use the Coke Freestyle machines (over there) so if Lime Coke is your thing you'll love it.

Given the hype here for it, I was surprised that the Edinburgh is always empty. Maybe the canny Scots are all in the McDonalds across the way.

Actually, now I think about it, the staff annoyed the piss out of me. Every order is shouted around the open kitchen with a really ****ing annoying shorthand (BACO MAYO PICKLE etc). This happened both times I was there with different staff so it's probably part of their ethos.

Now I've changed my mind and will go to Counter instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

An unsubstantiated post on a Dun Laoghaire interest Facebook page says that House have withdrawn from the former Walters premises enterprise due to some issue concerning the basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

The Easy Garden garden centre at the back of the Frascati Centre has closed (possibly a while ago, I just noticed this weekend).

From their website:
    We were very sorry that our branch in the Frascati Shopping centre had to close down this Summer, we had to move to allow for the redevelopment of the Shopping Centre.

The redevelopment of the shopping centre itself is fairly imminent. Its to be extended forwards towards the dual carriageway with a multi-story carpark to be added to the north side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

xper wrote: »
    The Easy Garden garden centre at the back of the Frascati Centre has closed (possibly a while ago, I just noticed this weekend).

From their website:

The redevelopment of the shopping centre itself is fairly imminent. Its to be extended forwards towards the dual carriageway with a multi-story carpark to be added to the north side.

The centre across the road has plans for a redevelopment aswell

Larbre34 wrote: »
    An unsubstantiated post on a Dun Laoghaire interest Facebook page says that House have withdrawn from the former Walters premises enterprise due to some issue concerning the basement.

I had heard that that was why things hadn't progressed since last year, but that this issue has been resolved and it's o again.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is Five Guys like McDonalds or like a Bunsen type thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

awec wrote: »

Closer to McDonalds or Burger King, probably comparable to Nandos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Except double-triple the prices on everything.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

more like Rockets. With shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Fairly newish to open in Dun Laoghaire, is the excellent: Gourmet Pantry on Georges Street.

https://www.yelp.ie/biz/the-gourmet-pantry-dublin

What a fab shop. They are now selling: Home-made pizza dough, which is absolutely excellent. No-where else as far as I know is selling such.

Use it or loose it.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Fairly newish to open in Dun Laoghaire, is the excellent: Gourmet Pantry on Georges Street.

https://www.yelp.ie/biz/the-gourmet-pantry-dublin

What a fab shop. They are now selling: Home-made pizza dough, which is absolutely excellent. No-where else as far as I know is selling such.

Use it or loose it.

interesting, I've bought some cheese and oil there but didn't notice the dough. Are they sold as rolled out bases?

I bought a pizza oven last year, best kitchen gadget I own

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

errlloyd wrote: »
    Closer to McDonalds or Burger King, probably comparable to Nandos.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Except double-triple the prices on everything.
    more like Rockets. With shouting.

Disappointing news this, thought it was going to be somewhere decent with all the fuss and hype.

interesting, I've bought some cheese and oil there but didn't notice the dough. Are they sold as rolled out bases?

I bought a pizza oven last year, best kitchen gadget I own

The Gourmet Pantry Dun laoghaire pizza dough is actually their own fresh dough, proven, portioned and ready to roll and swirl in the air! Fab and easy.

Would love to see a picture of your finished pizza if you get a chance. Is the pizza oven expensive? Does it take up much room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

ted1 wrote: »
    The centre across the road has plans for a redevelopment aswell

The planning for that side is a new head office building for Zurich. The office building above the car park is coming down and a new one going up.

I've seen the plans/renders, it's a much more modern looking building.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Apparently; the start date for the redevelopment of Frascati Shopping Centre in Blackrock begins on the 28th October which is just up to a month away.

Is that doable to begin construction that quick or am I overthinking it?

http://www.cisireland.com/projectdescription.aspx?id=1267&utm_source=Newsweaver&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Frascati+Shopping+Centre&utm_campaign=CIS+-+Commercial+Sector+Focus+-+Over+450+New+Opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Apparently; the start date for the redevelopment of Frascati Shopping Centre in Blackrock begins on the 28th October which is just up to a month away.

Is that doable to begin construction that quick or am I overthinking it?

http://www.cisireland.com/projectdescription.aspx?id=1267&utm_source=Newsweaver&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Frascati+Shopping+Centre&utm_campaign=CIS+-+Commercial+Sector+Focus+-+Over+450+New+Opportunities

What exactly are you asking? If the planning process has been complete and there's nobody lodging an idiot appeal (as is happening with the Apple data centre in Co. Galway) they can start whenever they like - tomorrow if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anyone building on a planning application has to lodge a commencement notice a month ahead of starting work

Chinasea wrote: »
    The Gourmet Pantry Dun laoghaire pizza dough is actually their own fresh dough, proven, portioned and ready to roll and swirl in the air! Fab and easy.

Would love to see a picture of your finished pizza if you get a chance. Is the pizza oven expensive? Does it take up much room?

thanks, I'll try it soon. If I don't make the dough myself I tend to buy a pack of bases from Cavistons

This is the yoke I got https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B002VA4CDI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 was €66 at the time. I cannot recommend it highly enough, It's like an oversized wafflemaker, pretty big put would fit into a bottom cupboard shelf. I'll pm you some photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

thanks, I'll try it soon. If I don't make the dough myself I tend to buy a pack of bases from Cavistons

This is the yoke I got https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B002VA4CDI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 was €66 at the time. I cannot recommend it highly enough, It's like an oversized wafflemaker, pretty big put would fit into a bottom cupboard shelf. I'll pm you some photos.

I really wish you hadn't shared that link! Looks amazing - and the reviews, from Italians who obviously know what they're talking about.

Could be my wife's Christmas present sorted!

There's the diet totally fecked now.

@Chinasea, tried to send you a PM but couldn't. Apologies to the thread for veering wildly off-topic, but hey, at least it's not about parking. So this is my last post about pizzas on this thread (for now). Thanks again for the tip on the dough. I popped into the Gourmet Food Pantry today (delighted to see how busy they were too) and bought a couple of doughs. At this point, I'd like to point out that I do usually make my own dough, but house renovations have restricted my kitchen a wee bit.

Anyway, the results are in. Their dough produced an excellent base. I made one pizza out of the first portion, quite crusty, as you'd imagine (the kids prefer it this way), but split the second one into two for a beautiful thin crust base. Homemade sauce and veggie toppings, maybe a bit too much mozzarella, but heaven. http://imgur.com/a/urTyq

@schemingbohemia you can tell people that you're buying her a Ferrari :) I can't recommend this thing enough, we've had ours for over a year and I'd say it's used twice a week. I've got the kids involved in making the dough and sauce when their friends are coming over, they love that ****.

back on topic (kind of), the free wifi in DL is being upgraded to a faster speed (think it's 1 gig) in the next two weeks. And the House/Walters things is definitely a goer.

oh, and a shop selling Ferrari Pizza ovens MAY be opening shortly (subscribes to thread)

oh, and a shop selling Ferrari Pizza ovens MAY be opening shortly (subscribes to thread)

Totally! And totally want one of those ovens. Have been reading/obsessing about them. Never knew they existed. Can't understand the reviews in Italian but all seem super positive.

Btw, your own pizza looked really fab. You managed to get the base lovely and supa thin. Sell the pizzas too in the new shop. We watchin this space!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Subway going where Spar was in Blackrock. I dont think the location suits, better off down at Starbucks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

The Digital Dun Laoghaire strategy was formally launched this week with a very well attended Enterprise event in the Lexicon. There really seems to be a good buzz around the whole idea of Dun Laoghaire as a tech hub and some of those involved (including the techy new head of BID!) seem to be at least giving it a good shot which is good to hear.

Golden Discs in the shopping centre have closed while they undertake the mammoth move to...the unit next door. Should be ready in a couple of weeks. Quigleys Cafe are due to move into the old Totterdells unit, the old "Hen House" unit has apparently been re-let and as Gareth mentioned above, the Walters/House move should finally happen in the new year. There were serious issues with the building but it's coming together slowly! The Dun Laoghaire Harbour Cruise Berth decision which has been awaited for nearly 9 months now should finally be made public by October 28th and apparently contractors are due on site in the Shopping Centre before Christmas. Now, if we could get the Dunnes project moving!

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I see Molloy's Nutgrove is now O'Briens

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

The Bottle Tower pub in Churchtown has reopened. Going down the craft beer route.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

coylemj wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up on that. With floorspace only 1/20 of Balllymun and a €15 charge for collection, that leaves zero reasons to visit Carrickmines.
    The crazy thing about this Ikea store is that you can not order online. You have to order in store pay €15 go home with nothing and then drive back to collect. They should have opened outside Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

IrlJidel wrote: »
    The Bottle Tower pub in Churchtown has reopened. Going down the craft beer route.

Did it open today? Drove past around 4pm and couldn't work out why there were bouncers outside.

Advertisement