Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Subway and costa are others on the sign, there was around 6 in total

A chicken place was one of the others. I never really liked Frangos so I'm glad there will be a proper food court.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Chopped is opening in Dundrum on Monday (24th) according to their FB page so assuming the other food outlets mentioned above will also open on the same date?

I'll kind of miss Frangos as I felt it raised the benchmark for shopping centre restaurants when it first opened (previously such restaurants were in the stodgy Graham O'Sullivan or Kylemore cafe vain). Frangos did good stir fries but possibly it tried to be too many things with too much of a menu which can sometimes compromise quality.

Edit - just checking Frangos page on FB and it seems they're not closing as such but will still operate a revamped restaurant alongside other chains in a new food hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,530 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Yeah dundrum does kinda need a proper food court rather than just standalone restaurants. A Burger King and Supermacs is what Dundrum needs aswell. I hear Frangos is actually staying along with the Subway, Chopped and Costa.

I thought it was great, food courts tend to lead to a downgrade of standards and service.

The misses was out in blanch last week and couldn't get over how poor the food court was and that there wasn't a decent place to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

ted1 wrote: »
    The misses was out in blanch last week and couldn't get over how poor the food court was and that there wasn't a decent place to eat.

Yeah I see where your coming from but Blanch seems to be more of a place you to go to shop and get bargains rather than eat, window shop and do other recreational activities. Dundrum is a more of a hospitality centre while Blanch seems to serve the purpose as solely a shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Already mentioned here but The Vinyl opened in Dun Laoghaire this weekend as did Base Wood Fired Pizza in Park Pointe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Go Bonkers (ice cream place on Marine Road) has closed.

The whole Pavilion complex is up for sale, part of the sales blurb suggests that heads of agreement have been signed for a restaurant in the Hen House unit.

Go Bonkers (ice cream place on Marine Road) has closed.

I walked past it at the weekend and it seems that it's going to be a full teddys outlets. I think that Bonkers place was Teddys answer to Scrumdiddlys and it now seems they failed miserably.

I see a new chip van has parked up near the yacht club which is surely a little tacky. I don't why the council would allow such a thing like the fifty million teddys ice cream vans parked around the place.

that chip van is Saturdays only in Sept and October. It's a Croatian franchise called Surf n Fries. They are trialling the idea with a view to opening a permanent place.

https://www.facebook.com/surfnfriesireland/

I think the space there is open to hire to anyone who wants it, I saw a listing for it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Not a new business opening per se, but Bank of Ireland (Payments Acceptance) moving 100 employees into the Adelphi Centre off George's Street. Can only be good for local business you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I walked past it at the weekend and it seems that it's going to be a full teddys outlets. I think that Bonkers place was Teddys answer to Scrumdiddlys and it now seems they failed miserably.

I see a new chip van has parked up near the yacht club which is surely a little tacky. I don't why the council would allow such a thing like the fifty million teddys ice cream vans parked around the place.

The parking areas by the yacht clubs are owned by the Harbour Company, they seem to have encouraged food stalls / vans near and on the east pier for the last few years. I guess they are in a bad way for revenue since the ferry pulled out for good. Still probably about 1,000 chip vans short of making up the difference.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The parking areas by the yacht clubs are owned by the Harbour Company, they seem to have encouraged food stalls / vans near and on the east pier for the last few years. I guess they are in a bad way for revenue since the ferry pulled out for good. Still probably about 1,000 chip vans short of making up the difference.

you're not wrong there - a quick search https://popertee.com/?s=dun+laoghaire&submit= shows that you can even rent the bandstand

There was another new site showing a few more rental locations around the area but it's escaping me at the moment

Larbre34 wrote: »

I fail to understand that why the Harbour Company don't just accept their fate and allow them come under the council remit. They're a pointless body now the ferry is gone.

I fail to understand that why the Harbour Company don't used accept their fate and allow the come under the council remit

Would turkeys vote for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Update on what's actually opening in Dundrums new food court.

The Foodhall
    ​We’re delighted to welcome some new and exciting brands to The Food hall on Level 3!

Recently Opened:

Chopped- For a huge range of deliciously healthy salads ‘chopped’ right in front of you!

Costa Coffee- providing a unique blend of flavours with the finest slow roasted coffee beans which has become the fasted growing coffee shop in Europe!

Coming Soon:

Kanoodle- A noodle bar offering healthy, virtually fat-free Asian food, nibbles, noodles, soups, salads, stir-fries and curries!

Subway -offering a variety of healthy fresh subs and salads

Poulet Bonne Femme- Offering delicious rotisserie Meats, sandwiches and salads

Gastro- Experience a taste of the world! Authentic food concepts including Breakfast, Traditional comfort foods, Italian, Mexican and many more!

Origins- Delicious coffee and teas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ongarboy wrote: »

Kanoodle- A noodle bar offering healthy, virtually fat-free Asian food, nibbles, noodles, soups, salads, stir-fries and curries!

These guys do amazing takeaways in the Northside in Clontarf / Baldoyle.
    I wonder will they be purely doing in-store meals for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

I fail to understand that why the Harbour Company don't just accept their fate and allow them come under the council remit. They're a pointless body now the ferry is gone.

Be careful what you wish for. Remember that when the Harbour Company comes under the Councils remit then it is firstly responsible for any debts the Harbour Company might have and more importantly the council will now be responsible for the care, maintenance and development of the Harbour Estate. Pier repairs alone cost more than a million quid last year which the Harbour Company paid. Once it's in Council ownership, then that bill falls to you and I.

Simon

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for. Remember that when the Harbour Company comes under the Councils remit then it is firstly responsible for any debts the Harbour Company might have and more importantly the council will now be responsible for the care, maintenance and development of the Harbour Estate. Pier repairs alone cost more than a million quid last year which the Harbour Company paid. Once it's in Council ownership, then that bill falls to you and I.

Simon
    Let's impose an out of borough tax for those walking the pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Would prefer the council to be funding it using public funds, as at least there's a degree of transparency there and it would also lessen the pressure to do really stupid things that would damage the harbour for good, such as allowing in large cruise ships. Better the Harbour Company be declared bankrupt rather than have them ruin a public asset that they had no hand in creating.

this probably needs a new thread. The revenues of the harbour would fall to the public purse as well were it to fall under Council ownership. To boost these I'd be looking at the fees that the primary users of the harbour front (the yacht clubs) chip in. I don't believe that they pull their weight.

PBP in the guise of Save our Seafront (chair: R. Boyd-Barrett) is running a public meeting on this tonight in the Marine at 7.30 if anyone wants to hear the same old argument being rolled out like it's news.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like the unit beside Golden Disks in the old shopping centre will house an O'Brien's / Bagel shop.

They're doing work on it at the moment and there's a big O'Brien's Sandwich logo and a big Bagel logo in the window.

What this means for the other O'Briens sandwich shop I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

To boost these I'd be looking at the fees that the primary users of the harbour front (the yacht clubs) chip in. I don't believe that they pull their weight.

I'd love to see the numbers you are basing this belief off. I'm pretty sure all 4 yacht clubs are horrifically loss making. I know for a fact at least 3 are. So what exactly do you mean by "pulling their weight"? What is their weight? Is their rent unfair?

They already contribute a huge amount directly because boat owners paying for moorings in the harbour and berths in the marina pay the harbour company. But also a huge amount indirectly to DL because members pay for parking, visitors to events stay in hotels or drink in bars, and the several hundred children who do courses during the summer eat in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

They look to have gotten rid of the 'kiosk' type stand/shops in the ground floor of the Blackrock Shopping Centre - not sure if there were any open businesses left there - looks a lot more spacious and you can see the new coffee shop Vanilla Pod much better from upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

They look to have gotten rid of the 'kiosk' type stand/shops in the ground floor of the Blackrock Shopping Centre - not sure if there were any open businesses left there - looks a lot more spacious and you can see the new coffee shop Vanilla Pod much better from upstairs.

Aren't they just a Thursday food market thing?

Aren't they just a Thursday food market thing?

I am sure there used to be actual shops (one opposite the hardware shops sold hair accessories or handbags I think - I am going back a year or so maybe) but I noticed one had been used for displaying stock recently as I think the last shop had long since closed down.

Or maybe I'm imagining things :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I am sure there used to be actual shops (one opposite the hardware shops sold hair accessories or handbags I think - I am going back a year or so maybe) but I noticed one had been used for displaying stock recently as I think the last shop had long since closed down.

Or maybe I'm imagining things :o:o

It's a barber shop, has been for almost a year

It's a barber shop, has been for almost a year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Looks like the unit beside Golden Disks in the old shopping centre will house an O'Brien's / Bagel shop.

They're doing work on it at the moment and there's a big O'Brien's Sandwich logo and a big Bagel logo in the window.

What this means for the other O'Briens sandwich shop I dunno.
    They're just moving into that new premises

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Leonardos coffee has moved from the unit directly beside the Adelphi House entrance to the unit closer to the Christian Institute

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd love to see the numbers you are basing this belief off. I'm pretty sure all 4 yacht clubs are horrifically loss making. I know for a fact at least 3 are. So what exactly do you mean by "pulling their weight"? What is their weight? Is their rent unfair?

They already contribute a huge amount directly because boat owners paying for moorings in the harbour and berths in the marina pay the harbour company. But also a huge amount indirectly to DL because members pay for parking, visitors to events stay in hotels or drink in bars, and the several hundred children who do courses during the summer eat in the town.

The Clubs themselves contribute buttons in relation to their location in a 200 year old harbour, this is on the public record already.
    the four Dun Laoghaire yacht clubs combined make only a very minor financial contribution of c.€70k annually towards the upkeep/maintenance of the infrastructure of the 200 year old man-made harbour. This annual contribution constitutes less than 2% of our annual operating/capital costs.

Gerry Dunne, CEO DLHC

http://www.afloat.ie/blogs/sailing-saturday-with-wm-nixon/itemlist/tag/Gerry%20Dunne

The moorings are mostly Club controlled, so that money goes to the Club and not the harbour company. A few are private, but cater only for small boats, so no great revenue there either. The events that the clubs bring, the harbour fills up with camper vans, these are hard pressed families who look to do these events on a budget, every last penny counts. During regattas, the club bars are packed with crews, so the local bars and restaurants feel no uplift either. I think you are rather over stating the importance of the yacht clubs on Dun Laoghaire's economy.

• Advertisement

does the HC own DL marina ?
    https://www.dlmarina.com/rates/

If they do then they would be double charging the members.

Advertisement