Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The marina is owned by Michael Chadwick of Chadwicks fame.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/chadwick-set-to-take-over-marina-in-18m-deal-1.1039344

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I assume the aquatic real estate where the marina is located (and the extensions on the west pier) are on some kind of a long lease from the HC?

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

new coffee shop opening beside munchies in central park it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Grandstand Sports are moving from the soon to be renovated section of the SC to Partick St, next to Mike's Bikes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Grandstand Sports are moving from the soon to be renovated section of the SC to Partick St, next to Mike's Bikes.
    I was in the shopping center this morning and noticed that all down towards where A-wear, GO'S and the old vodafone shop has all been cordoned off. Didn't think the work was starting that quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Mig wrote: »
    I was in the shopping center this morning and noticed that all down towards where A-wear, GO'S and the old vodafone shop has all been cordoned off. Didn't think the work was starting that quick

The local goss is that the two anchor tenants are virtually signed and sealed, its great that they aren't hanging about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The local goss is that the two anchor tenants are virtually signed and sealed, its great that they aren't hanging about.

Does the local goss say who they are?
    TKMaxx was the last rumour I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

awec wrote: »
    new coffee shop opening beside munchies in central park it seems.

chain or independent?
    Food offering?
    That centra and munchies do a roaring trade at lunchtimes.
    Easily room for another there I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,530 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Mig wrote: »

Handover to tenants is expected to be Q2 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd love to see the numbers you are basing this belief off. I'm pretty sure all 4 yacht clubs are horrifically loss making. I know for a fact at least 3 are. So what exactly do you mean by "pulling their weight"? What is their weight? Is their rent unfair?

They already contribute a huge amount directly because boat owners paying for moorings in the harbour and berths in the marina pay the harbour company. But also a huge amount indirectly to DL because members pay for parking, visitors to events stay in hotels or drink in bars, and the several hundred children who do courses during the summer eat in the town.

I love this about Dun Laoghaire - everything is always dramatically multiplied by at least 10 times :). The yacht clubs aren't "horrifically" loss making but that's not to say they are "stupendously" profitable either (my parentheses for effect!). If things were that bad down at the clubs then surely their creditors should know and the entities should cease trading irresponsibly with immediate effect.

The solution for the Harbour inevitably lies in a compromise between all the various stakeholders whether they are commercial, commercial leisure, non-profit leisure and all the rest. The bills will always have to be paid, there are developments we would all like to see which will need capital and everyone will have to be accomodated as best as is possible. I think the compromise that An Bord Pleanala have suggested (that the cruise berth be limited to ships of 250m) is a fair one, interesting to see it's effect on the projects economics.

Back since the "Dun Lorry, No thanks" days (which indirectly led to us being in this mess in the first place!) everyone saw the arrival of HSS as the death of the place, the death of sailing etc and it wasn't. Now it will be the cruise berth is the death of the place and the death of sailing and it won't be. Eventually everyone will work around whatever happens to pay the bills and the yacht clubs can go back to losing money, the harbour company can go back to its own chaos and the councillors will argue about it once a year. Would be nice to skip to the end of the process now though, I fear that it will be a long one :)

Simon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yes, Dun Laoghaire seems to be caught forever in the "Well if we can't gold plate the streets, we may as well not pave them at all" mode with everything slowly disintegrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Here we go again thread is becoming just about Dun Laoghaire and not buisness opening closures as usual. Could a mod please redirect to to the Dun Laoghaire thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Now it will be the cruise berth is the death of the place and the death of sailing and it won't be.

Simon

I think you jumped to a bit of an assumption there Simon - as I said in the other thread, I very much support the cruise ship dock. As for clubs. Clubs aren't businesses, so they're entitled to run at a loss for a while, but unless they start attracting a new generation of membership you may find one closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think you jumped to a bit of an assumption there Simon - as I said in the other thread, I very much support the cruise ship dock. As for clubs. Clubs aren't businesses, so they're entitled to run at a loss for a while, but unless they start attracting a new generation of membership you may find one closes.

Didn't mean to single you out there errlloyd, and apologies if it seemed that way with my generalisation about the claims that the cruise berth will kill sailing.

Sorry!

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

"Lobster" opening soon in Monkstown Village - presume it's a restaurant

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

whiskeyman wrote: »
    chain or independent?
    Food offering?
    That centra and munchies do a roaring trade at lunchtimes.
    Easily room for another there I reckon.

It was this lot: http://www.theartofcoffee.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.orchestrate.ie/golden-discs-opens-dundrum-town-centre-6pm-thursday-10-november/

Golden Discs opening their largest store in Dundrum today. Is that in the old HMV unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.orchestrate.ie/golden-discs-opens-dundrum-town-centre-6pm-thursday-10-november/

Golden Discs opening their largest store in Dundrum today. Is that in the old HMV unit?

ongarboy wrote: »

I am extremely sureprised that such a shop is doing so well at the moment. I thought they went tits up years ago but they seem to have done a good job to pick themselves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Wouldn't be surprised seeing as they took over the HMV store on Henry Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I am extremely sureprised that such a shop is doing so well at the moment. I thought they went tits up years ago but they seem to have done a good job to pick themselves up.

Yeah, surprising indeed, but they are literally the only music/dvd chain left now so even though the market is small and shrinking, there are still people about who do buy them and at least now at least they mop up all the sales!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Yeah, it's in the same unit

Yeah, surprising indeed, but they are literally the only music/dvd chain left now so even though the market is small and shrinking, there are still people about who do buy them and at least now at least they mop up all the sales!

If there was still a market for it then I find surprising that HMV closed down in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

That unit doesn't really work, most will just pass through, wish them all the best with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

That unit doesn't really work, most will just pass through, wish them all the best with it anyway.

Yeah, I wish they'd just turn it into a corridor that connects the cinema part with the rest of the shopping centre, it's basically what it is during regular opening hours. Seemed to be busy enough the other day, but there have been so many shops of that type in this unit now that eventually closed, I just don't see it working out.

miezekatze wrote: »
    Yeah, I wish they'd just turn it into a corridor that connects the cinema part with the rest of the shopping centre, it's basically what it is during regular opening hours. Seemed to be busy enough the other day, but there have been so many shops of that type in this unit now that eventually closed, I just don't see it working out.

The only shops that have closed down have been HMV twice all other changes have been due to takeovers and mergers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The only shops that have closed down have been HMV twice all other changes have been due to takeovers and mergers.

Pretty sure both Virgin and Zavvi closed down?

Pretty sure both Virgin and Zavvi closed down?

AFAIK Zavvi originally ran Virgin Megastores under franchise but after this agreement expired they rebranded as Zavvi then Zavvi went bankrept and some stores were taken over by HMV but the store was never closed for any period of time just rebranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That's great news. I didn't know Golden Discs had opened up in those new places until now.

Best of luck to them in their new premises.

• Advertisement

That's great news. I didn't know Golden Discs had opened up in those new places until now.

Best of luck to them in their new premises.

I know its good to see an Irish company get in there the only I think they lack is video games. Even if they just the main titles such Fifa, COD and GTA etc. and sold them for a competitive price. Dundrum lacks anywhere that sells them bar Tesc. Hmv was a ripoff for games.

Advertisement