Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

frash wrote: »
    They have in this areas anyway!
    Deansgrange, Pottery Rd & now this one all within less than a 5 min drive of each other.

It seems to be the aggressive Starbucks model of expansion.

Clusters of shops have economies of scale (overlapping management, deliveries and staff who can easily move around). They use that to try and dominate in an area and drive out the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Synode wrote: »
    Good. Might make them lower their prices

They can't really lower their prices. Supermarkets operate hilariously low margins. They have to lower their costs. Unless a segment of the market continues to shop there despite the higher cost, they will close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

errlloyd wrote: »
    They can't really lower their prices. Supermarkets operate hilariously low margins. They have to lower their costs. Unless a segment of the market continues to shop there despite the higher cost, they will close.

The margin in SuperValu and Centra is much higher than other supermarkets. It's why I never shop in them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Possibly deserves a thread of its own, but have a look at the proposed development (housing, a café and shops) in Bullock Harbour on the site of the old Western Marine warehouse.

IMG_0920-e1481456338713-768x309.jpg

http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/new-plans-for-bulloch-harbour/

Fits right in! :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Christ that looks horrific! Surely they could have come up with a nicer design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

now that would be a fun place to live when the easterlies sweep in :D

Still looks better than Our Lady's Manor across the road though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

now that would be a fun place to live when the easterlies sweep in :D

Hence the seaweed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Possibly deserves a thread of its own, but have a look at the proposed development (housing, a café and shops) in Bullock Harbour on the site of the old Western Marine warehouse.

IMG_0920-e1481456338713-768x309.jpg

http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/new-plans-for-bulloch-harbour/

Fits right in! :pac:

where's the car park?

I am hoping the developer has gone for three storeys, on the basis two is a concession that might see it approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

I would say the vegetation won't be hanging gently from the window sills unless its seaweed thrown up by a storm. The design has all the subtlety of a breeze block in the snot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Possibly deserves a thread of its own

There is indeed at the following address:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057604761

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

where's the car park?

I am hoping the developer has gone for three storeys, on the basis two is a concession that might see it approved.

parking (for the residents) is around the back, via a road to the right of the blue cottage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

McDonalds drive thru now open at Citywest SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Aldi are recruiting for Blackrock, I'm guessing this could be the old playwright site?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Aldi are recruiting for Blackrock, I'm guessing this could be the old playwright site?

Any links ? my daughter needs some PT work

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Can't find it now as I only saw it shared on social media, but I believe it was indeed.ie

I'm only guessing is the NTPA location, it may not be. I just can't think of any other sites that would be close enough to completion that they would be hiring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Chances are it's for their store in Blackrock in Cork, and the Dublin bit was an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Not too sure if anyone remembers this. However, does anyone remember the Joystick video game store and the Bewleys Cafe (Kylemore) in Frascati Shopping Center?

When I was about 9 or 10, I was gutted to find out that Joystick had closed down and was replaced with the Beauty Store. At the time, the SNES, Sega Mega Drive (Genesis in the US), NES and Gameboy were the business. :D

Then, at the age of 16 or 17, a lot of new brand names had been introduced to Frascati including Pull And Bear and Zara among others. As a result, Bewleys Cafe (Kylemore) was done away with. A much smaller cafe called Melt opened up in a different part of the shop floor.

In fact, Frascati Shopping Center used to have a spiraling staircase near the front between the basement floor and the first floor. There was a water feature at the bottom and a skylight at the top. Either way, it was a lot more spacious with much better lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Has anyone heard any news about new stores planned for the redeveloped Frascati?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Has anyone heard any news about new stores planned for the redeveloped Frascati?

Guy in M&S said yesterday one of Lidl/Aldi are apparently going to be setting up a big new shop there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There's a new Thai/Vietnamese takeaway being fitted out at the moment on deansgrange road beside the Grange pub.

Liberos
    Apache/Lams
    The Pasta place (name escapes me)
    Rickshaws
    Thai place

All within 30 seconds walk of each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

The new Thai place is SABA to Go. They are also advertising for staff. Saw it on their facebook page.

KingCong wrote: »
    Guy in M&S said yesterday one of Lidl/Aldi are apparently going to be setting up a big new shop there.

Ooh that sounds interesting - if so you would have to think it would be Aldi with the LIDL in stillorgan already quite nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Ooh that sounds interesting - if so you would have to think it would be Aldi with the LIDL in stillorgan already quite nearby.

Well there's a lidl in deansgrange, pottery rd and Sallynoggin so that's not an issue for them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

KingCong wrote: »

The fact that he can't say which one means that it's probably a rumour put out by the letting agents to pique the interest from other stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's a new Thai/Vietnamese takeaway being fitted out at the moment on deansgrange road beside the Grange pub.

Liberos
    Apache/Lams
    The Pasta place (name escapes me)
    Rickshaws
    Thai place

All within 30 seconds walk of each other

+1 it's the premises formerly occupied by a bicycle shop between Get Fresh (fruit & Veg.) and the Sakura hair salon.

The 'pasta place' (across the road) is called Fellini's.

This is the crowd, 'opening early February' ' according to their website ......: http://www.sabatogo.com/

View of the premises ..... https://goo.gl/maps/TFRizFShrF22

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

coylemj wrote: »
    The fact that he can't say which one means that it's probably a rumour put out by the letting agents to pique the interest from other stores.

Agreed, plus I can't imagine that M&S as anchor tenant in Frascati would have any interest in a Lidl/Aldi going in with them to pull away their customers. Much like Dunnes in Cornelscourt and Tesco in Dundrum, the anchor tenant supermarkets usually have contracts that restrict other supermarkets opening in the same centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,531 ✭✭✭✭ted1

coylemj wrote: »

+they tend to build their own stores to their own design

Agreed, plus I can't imagine that M&S as anchor tenant in Frascati would have any interest in a Lidl/Aldi going in with them to pull away their customers. Much like Dunnes in Cornelscourt and Tesco in Dundrum, the anchor tenant supermarkets usually have contracts that restrict other supermarkets opening in the same centre.

I also see Frascati trying to market it as a high end shopping destination - M&S, Debenhams etc. Could not see them going for a discount grocer or TK Maxx etc (unfortunately!). I wonder if Next would be interested in moving across for a bigger store for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I also see Frascati trying to market it as a high end shopping destination - M&S, Debenhams etc. Could not see them going for a discount grocer or TK Maxx etc (unfortunately!). I wonder if Next would be interested in moving across for a bigger store for example?

I doubt Debenhams would allow it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 In The Conversation

Prezzo restarants have a planning permission application on the old post office building in Blackrock (where Starbucks used to be).

Advertisement