Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Agreed, plus I can't imagine that M&S as anchor tenant in Frascati would have any interest in a Lidl/Aldi going in with them to pull away their customers.

You're correct though as things stand, there would be very little overlap between an Aldi/Lidl and the type of (high end) food that M&S currently sell in Frascati.

My guess (hope) is that M&S takes a much bigger footprint in the expanded Frascati and does a full spectrum of food and clothing.
    Much like Dunnes in Cornelscourt and Tesco in Dundrum, the anchor tenant supermarkets usually have contracts that restrict other supermarkets opening in the same centre.

Those restrictive leases appear to be under attack, there's currently two opticians in Stillorgan SC and even in the smaller Frascati SC there's two pharmacies - Boots and Lloyds.

Dunnes Stores owns the Cornelscourt SC which is a shopping centre in name only, >95% of the floor space is occupied by Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

coylemj wrote: »
    Those restrictive leases appear to be under attack, there's currently two opticians in Stillorgan SC and even in the smaller Frascati SC there's two pharmacies - Boots and Lloyds.

Dunnes Stores owns the Cornelscourt SC which is a shopping centre in name only, >95% of the floor space is occupied by Dunnes.

While you are correct in saying that about dunnes in cornelscourt they do own an undeveloped site in Cornelscourt at the back of the Texaco garage in the village from what I believe as it is a perfect size for a lidl or an aldi to open up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Opticians and pharmacies aren't anchor tenants though so they wouldn't have the same contracts as supermarkets in this instance. It only applies to anchors who negotiate specially to be the only supermarket etc in exchange for guarantees tenancy for so long. There are a few exceptions but generally you'll rarely see two supermarkets in the same shopping centre as the terms of placement will prohibit further similar shops.

On a side note, I could see into the Playwright site today and the car park is fairly big in there. I wonder when someone/anyone will bite the bullet on that site!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Stephen15 wrote: »
    While you are correct in saying that about dunnes in cornelscourt they do own an undeveloped site in Cornelscourt at the back of the Texaco garage in the village from what I believe as it is a perfect size for a lidl or an aldi to open up there.

That field has been landscaped a bit and has an area marked in cones around it. Had an oil spill issue a few years ago. Must be one of the most expensive parcels of undeveloped land in South Dublin.

Dunnes also refurbished the houses it bought around the existing shopping centre, these had been idle for years (they were buying up the whole row).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,531 ✭✭✭✭ted1

astrofool wrote: »
    That field has been landscaped a bit and has an area marked in cones around it. Had an oil spill issue a few years ago. Must be one of the most expensive parcels of undeveloped land in South Dublin.

Dunnes also refurbished the houses it bought around the existing shopping centre, these had been idle for years (they were buying up the whole row).

The field was used as an overflow during Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

I have never figured out how that has not been developed at some stage in the last twenty years. I didn't know that was owned by Dunnes. They certainly wouldn't want any sort of competitor going in there but surely building some high density residential would make perfect sense and gain them a few hundred more local customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

xper wrote: »
    I have never figured out how that has not been developed at some stage in the last twenty years. I didn't know that was owned by Dunnes. They certainly wouldn't want any sort of competitor going in there but surely building some high density residential would make perfect sense and gain them a few hundred more local customers.

They had plans to expand the shop into the current multistorey carpark and move the carpark into that space, the store revamp is still underway so it may still happen but things seem to change on a daily basis.

They had plans to expand the shop into the current multistorey carpark and move the carpark into that space...

It sounds like you're confusing the site that Dunnes owns behind AIB with the St. Brgid's RFC rugby pitch which is right beside Cornelscourt. Take a look at Google Earth and you'll see the two areas, the site behind AIB is too far away to be used a car park for Cornelscourt and there is no way of linking them as the rugby pitch runs down to the N11.
    .... the store revamp is still underway so it may still happen but things seem to change on a daily basis.

The most recent store revamp in Cornelscourt finished several weeks ago though the rear entrance is still in operation even though the original planning document said it was going to be closed. They might have changed their minds as the new 'Sol' coffee place would have ended up at the end of a cul de sac if the rear entrance was closed off.

It sounds like you're confusing the site that Dunnes owns behind AIB with the St. Brgid's RFC rugby pitch which is right beside Cornelscourt. Take a look at Google Earth and you'll see the two areas, the site behind AIB is too far away to be used a car park for Cornelscourt and there is no way of linking them as the rugby pitch runs down to the N11.

The most recent store revamp in Cornelscourt finished several weeks ago though the rear entrance is still in operation even though the original planning document said it was going to be closed. They might have changed their minds as the new 'Sol' coffee place would have ended up at the end of a cul de sac if the rear entrance was closed off.

I work there, it's not finished yet, and they don't own the pitch, yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I walk in the back way to Cafe sol most weekends, would hate to see it closed off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Is the pitch not owned by Foxrock Parish.....or the Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I walk in the back way to Cafe sol most weekends, would hate to see it closed off

A lot of old dears go to mass out the back in the afternoon and then inside for a gabble. If they closed that entrance, Sol might lose business to the Dunnes café.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,531 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Is the pitch not owned by Foxrock Parish.....or the Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin..

A land swap could have always been the plan

Is it still in the plan to permanently close the rear entrance? Where have all the builders gone if the work isn't finished?

Is it still in the plan to permanently close the rear entrance? Where have all the builders gone if the work isn't finished?

I never heard the rear entrance was being closed tbh, The next phase afaik is all within the store, they are doing it all in phases and didn't want the place to be a building site at Christmas, as far as the pitch goes the idea was that Dunnes would source a new pitch nearby and buy the land, could be long off the table though.

I never heard the rear entrance was being closed tbh,

The application was approved and the detailed documents have been removed from the DLR co co planning website but from the planning application (D16A/0108) .....

Permission for reconfiguration and refurbishment works to Shopping Centre & Anchor Unit comprising of:

A. Conversion of Newsagent (Unit No. 4) to café kiosk.
    B. Relocation of Time-Piece restaurant to Anchor Unit and provision of ancillary external seating area.
    C. amalgamation of mall units nos. 1 & 2 and ancillary mall circulation space into Anchor Units comparison floor-plate.
    D. Rationalisation of Shopping Centres entrances from 4 to 3 and associated elevation changes including provision of shop display window to replace closed mall entrance.
    E. All other associated development works. As a result of the above changes the Anchor units net comparison floor space increases from 3,628 sqm to 4,056 sqm.

I read the documents at the time and the entrance to go was the one at the rear.

The former Carphone Warehouse premises on Blackrock Main Street has been re-fitted out as food outlet and will open, according to signs in the window on Tuesday (24/1/17) as "Toss". The tag line "fresh fast food" accompanies the shop name so expecting something along the lines of the Chopped chain that has appeared everywhere in the last yer or so.

You're correct though as things stand, there would be very little overlap between an Aldi/Lidl and the type of (high end) food that M&S currently sell in Frascati.

My guess (hope) is that M&S takes a much bigger footprint in the expanded Frascati and does a full spectrum of food and clothing......
    Not sure if M&S will expand.

The ground floor plan in the latest planning application (D16A/0843) shows M&S occupying the same footprint as now with a new large unit adjacent to it in the north westward extension. There's no link between the M&S unit and the new one so it may or may not be a clothes section for M&S or for someone else entirely.

This contrasts with the original planning application from a couple of years earlier where the M&S unit was definitely enlarged and reshaped as a single unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The former Carphone Warehouse premises on Blackrock Main Street has been re-fitted out as food outlet and will open, according to signs in the window on Tuesday (24/1/17) as "Toss". The tag line "fresh fast food" accompanies the shop name so expecting something along the lines of the Chopped chain that has appeared everywhere in the last yer or so.

Toss. Just as well that the rest of the world has moved on from the schoolboy humour of the 80s that I still cling to.

Is that garden bar and grill place in Dun Laoghaire gone passed it last sunday a day which should be busy enough and looked it closed up to me. Just thinking so many restaurants failed in that premises.

• Advertisement

Is that garden bar and grill place in Dun Laoghaire gone passed it last sunday a day which should be busy enough and looked it closed up to me. Just thinking so many restaurants failed in that premises.

Restaurants have a high failure rate everywhere. In some cases it's all too predictable - wrong cuisine for the location, no passing trade, poor signage, snooty staff etc. And that's before you even get to the quality of the food, there's all sorts of reasons why they fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Yes, indeed
    https://twitter.com/tossfreshfood/status/818543423514931202

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Had a bad couple of weeks there around September. 1st there was paint was splashed all over their front windows. Couple of days later 3 of their front windows were smashed. Then the following week there was a fire in it. Hasn't been open since.

The Mig wrote: »
    Had a bad couple of weeks there around September. 1st there was paint was splashed all over their front windows. Couple of days later 3 of their front windows were smashed. Then the following week there was a fire in it. Hasn't been open since.

Sounds like they were very unlucky or someone bore a grudge, I was in it soon after it opened, the food was ok, beer menu was awful and overpriced and the back of the restaurant was cold, never looked busy any other time I passed, not a great location tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Toymaster is opening in Bloomfields, in the unit formerly occupied by Wilde Books (beside Boots).

aaaand it's gone. Must have just been a 6 month break on the lease

Sounds like they were very unlucky or someone bore a grudge, I was in it soon after it opened, the food was ok, beer menu was awful and overpriced and the back of the restaurant was cold, never looked busy any other time I passed, not a great location tbh.

I thought it loowed very outdated compared to most new restaurants these days considering most are hipstery looking trendy placesare that did not look like one of them. Big looking restaurant with rent to match aswell which you'd want to be filling most nights. Location isint a huge issue if the food is good people will pass word and come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Dunne & Crescenzi to open in Blackrock Centre

Great news.
    Also Saba to Go opening in Deansgrange

Shopfitters busy there today, should be on target for the opening in early February.

Where exactly in Blackrock SC are they planning on opening up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

aaaand it's gone. Must have just been a 6 month break on the lease

Not surprised, never anyone in it and toymaster is so overpriced compared to other toy shops. The people who set up this shop own the toymaster in greystones which doesn't exactly seem to be doing a roaring trade either.

Advertisement