Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Ur[s]uS

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Where exactly in Blackrock SC are they planning on opening up

The spot that used to be Clodagh McKenna and then Barkers, at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Iceland supermarket opening in Tallaght according to this article in the Indo.

http://m.independent.ie/business/jobs/three-more-iceland-stores-to-boost-jobs-35404896.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Not too sure if anyone remembers this. However, does anyone remember the Joystick video game store and the Bewleys Cafe (Kylemore) in Frascati Shopping Center?

When I was about 9 or 10, I was gutted to find out that Joystick had closed down and was replaced with the Beauty Store. At the time, the SNES, Sega Mega Drive (Genesis in the US), NES and Gameboy were the business. :D

Then, at the age of 16 or 17, a lot of new brand names had been introduced to Frascati including Pull And Bear and Zara among others. As a result, Bewleys Cafe (Kylemore) was done away with. A much smaller cafe called Melt opened up in a different part of the shop floor.

In fact, Frascati Shopping Center used to have a spiraling staircase near the front between the basement floor and the first floor. There was a water feature at the bottom and a skylight at the top. Either way, it was a lot more spacious with much better lighting.

Big toys section in the basement as well.

2002 was the first revamp and then Roches exited in 2007. I didn't mind too much the 2002 one as Pull and Bear/Zara et al were decent additions but Debenhams is terrible.

The redesign in '02 was actually shocking when you think about it - one escalator up and down. When the escalator breaks (and the Frascati one was broken for nearly a month at one point), the slow lift is the only way up and down. The bean counters saw an opportunity for more space for retails but it didn't work with how the place was actually designed way back when. It's like St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, far too many units in the centre of the ground floor which takes away from the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

themont85 wrote: »

2002 was the first revamp and then Roches exited in 2007. I didn't mind too much the 2002 one as Pull and Bear/Zara et al were decent additions but Debenhams is terrible.

The redesign in '02 was actually shocking when you think about it - one escalator up and down. When the escalator breaks (and the Frascati one was broken for nearly a month at one point), the slow lift is the only way up and down. The bean counters saw an opportunity for more space for retails but it didn't work with how the place was actually designed way back when. It's like St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, far too many units in the centre of the ground floor which takes away from the place.

Wasn't the Marks and Spencer shop once a Supervalu aswell at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

themont85 wrote: »

12 year old me went down there loads to play with the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers toys!:D

I was obsessed at the time.

It was indeed. It will be interesting to see what the next major revamp brings.

• Advertisement

And showing my age here but before that Roches Stores used to operate the supermarket part of their department stores (as it did in all their stores nationwide before they licensed them out to Supervalu).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

ted1 wrote: »
    Lidl are to open in Shankill shopping centre, the existing tenants have have got official letters saying that Lidl are now their landlords.

I imagine that they could open it fairly fast, as from the outside it looks ready to go.

Envy hairdressers closed down just before Christmas, so there's only the pharmacy and Chinese takeaway left now.
    nearly 3 months after this was posted the Irish Times lead with it in their Business section today http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/lidl-planning-state-of-the-art-shankill-store-1.2827439

State of the art Lidl, haven' we come a long way.

Do you think that they'll use the existing building or will they demolish it? In Tallaght they had a store that was only a couple of years old and they replaced it with a 'state of the art' one right beside it.

With a bit of googling I found this comment from Lidl on Facebook from December 2016 regarding the opening in Shankill: "we have not lodged planning yet so we have no confirmed timelines".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tallaght was to allow them to build a HQ so not a very normal situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They did the same to Gorey, closed the store moved temporarily to former Tesco store and built new store on same site

http://m.wexfordpeople.ie/news/lidl-gorey-to-relocate-to-old-tesco-store-during-rebuild-31079786.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Saba to go now open in Deansgrange........

http://www.sabatogo.com/saba-go-deansgrange-now-open/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Thursday week ago was it's first open day and it was jammed at half6

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Refurbishment work is currently taking place at Centra in Newtownpark Avenue in Blackrock.

The ceiling above the Texaco fuel pumps is getting an extension up as far as above the shop.

The car wash behind Centra will be closed for a short time as the work is being carried out.

During the day; customers have to enter the shop at a side entrance that is around the left corner from the main shop entrance. There are barriers around the shop during the day to direct them to the nearest customer entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There is an update about Frascati Shopping Centre on the below link.

https://www.cisireland.com/projectdescription.aspx?id=1267

Have any builders started any work on building the centre yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I heard a rumour that Farrell's pub in DLSC has closed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You can see from the Costa Coffee shop across the road that Farrell's has been stripped out. Making way for the new development most likely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

I heard a rumour that Farrell's pub in DLSC has closed.
    Not a rumour. Shut it's doors on the 23rd of Jan. Some session to finish up.

The Mig wrote: »
    Not a rumour. Shut it's doors on the 23rd of Jan. Some session to finish up.

LOL, I'd say it was.

Has the Primetime shop in Monkstown closed down passed on the bus it was closed up and a for sale sign was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Has the Primetime shop in Monkstown closed down passed on the bus it was closed up and a for sale sign was up.

Noticed that a week ago, must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

There appears to be a new cafe, Kaldi's, opening on Booterstown Avenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There appears to be a new cafe, Kaldi's, opening on Booterstown Avenue.

Is it related do Douglas and Kaldi's in DD SC

UCD getting a Chopped sandwich outlet.

http://www.universityobserver.ie/news/chopped-set-to-open-today-in-ucd/

And Moss Brothers (UK menswear chain) taking over the French Connection store in Dundrum.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Moss Brothers (UK menswear chain) taking over the French Connection store in Dundrum.

I saw that last time I was in Dundrum and I assumed it was closed for renovations

I saw that last time I was in Dundrum and I assumed it was closed for renovations

Yes, Anytime I've ever visited an FCUK, they always seem to be deserted, the clothes overpriced even in sales, and the clothes never really that appealing...for men anyway. Would have thought the Dundrum store would have outlasted the Blanch one which is permanently empty of customers.

Edit - I see in today's Irish Times, they are closing their Blanchardstown and Cork outlets too - I'd say only the one in the Powerscourt centre in town will remain at that rate.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Yes, Anytime I've ever visited an FCUK, they always seem to be deserted, the clothes overpriced even in sales, and the clothes never really that appealing...for men anyway. Would have thought the Dundrum store would have outlasted the Blanch one which is permanently empty of customers.

I see Carraig Donn is also gone

two new restaurants opening on Patrick St, Dun laoghaire. http://zerozeropizza.ie/ going into the former pet shop premises. And Kyoto Asian Street food going in where the coffee shop was (few doors before Bits and pizzas). Kyoto are also hiring if you know anyone that's looking. Full and part time positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I see Carraig Donn is also gone

It is, and there's a sign up that 'Poco by Pippa' will be opening there instead (in Dundrum)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There's a new artisan food (and assuming coffee place) opening where Marian stores used to be on the way into St Fintans Park (beside the europa chipper) plan to be open at the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

There's a new artisan food (and assuming coffee place) opening where Marian stores used to be on the way into St Fintans Park (beside the europa chipper) plan to be open at the end of the month

It's Stephen Caviston's latest business

Fish shop & deli
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1852863854962511&id=100007167429816

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

St Fintans Park (beside the europa chipper)
    AKA the chipper near bakers corner! few people seem to know the actual name of it

Advertisement