Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Turning it into a much required coffee shop! How could you be expected to walk over 100 metres to get from one to the other at the moment :D

Is this Cafe Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Still no progress on the old Playwright site on Newtownpark Ave, anyone have any ideas?
    Have heard Tesco Express, Lidl/Aldi mentioned but can't see any of those would be taking this long
    The car park in back has looked complete for ages and the windows seem to be suggesting a supermarket
    No-one locally seems to have any clue over the above mentioned

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Still no progress on the old Playwright site on Newtownpark Ave, anyone have any ideas?
    Have heard Tesco Express, Lidl/Aldi mentioned but can't see any of those would be taking this long
    The car park in back has looked complete for ages and the windows seem to be suggesting a supermarket
    No-one locally seems to have any clue over the above mentioned

Oddly enough I passed it today and was wondering the same it looks as if its fully ready to go a tennant just needs to be found. I don't if a convience store is really needed there tbh theres a petrol station with a large Centra about 100 yards down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still has an active pub licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Tesco in Stillorgan is getting a badly-needed extension. It seems there will be also some new retail/restaurant space above it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/tesco-looks-to-retail-expansion-at-stillorgan-shopping-centre-1.3064845

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tesco in Stillorgan is getting a badly-needed extension. It seems there will be also some new retail/restaurant space above it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/tesco-looks-to-retail-expansion-at-stillorgan-shopping-centre-1.3064845

Where is the space coming from for the 11,000 sq. ft. extension? There is a driveway behind the Tesco supermarket which runs behind them and several other units like Fenelons the butcher and is obviously essential for deliveries. Are they taking over an adjacent ground floor unit or where is that space coming from?

wertyu12 wrote: »
    McDonalds in the back of Artane Shopping Center is closed down and barriers up around it, heard nothing about this happening at all. Anyone know if its completely gone to be demolished or is it a refurb?

Think you're in the wrong forum - this is Dublin County South.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

coylemj wrote: »

Where is the space coming from for the 11,000 sq. ft. extension? There is a driveway behind the Tesco supermarket which runs behind them and several other units like Fenelons the butcher and is obviously essential for deliveries. Are they taking over an adjacent ground floor unit or where is that space coming from?
    They are building in the car park

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

another cafe on Georges St. BonCafe has opened between Ecco and PTSB, opposite the shopping centre

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Anyone know what they're doing with the newsagent in Dunnes Cornelscourt

The door into that unit from outside (opp. the multistorey car park) has Health & Safety notices pasted on it and I've seen lads in hard hats coming and going so there's some work going on inside, maybe a refit? Though for something as simple as a newsagent, you'd expect a refit to take no more than a few days :confused:

There's no notice inside about any 'exciting new .....' unit about to open which suggests it will stay much the same as before.

• Advertisement

another cafe on Georges St. BonCafe has opened between Ecco and PTSB, opposite the shopping centre

God cafès are becoming the new barber shops for Dun Laoghaire.

The door into that unit from outside (opp. the multistorey car park) has Health & Safety notices pasted on it and I've seen lads in hard hats coming and going so there's some work going on inside, maybe a refit? Though for something as simple as a newsagent, you'd expect a refit to take no more than a few days :confused:

There's no notice inside about any 'exciting new .....' unit about to open which suggests it will stay much the same as before.

It could additional off-licence space. The newsagent has now moved into the off-licence I cant figure if this is just a temporary arrngement or not.

It could additional off-licence space. The newsagent has now moved into the off-licence I cant figure if this is just a temporary arrngement or not.

Didn't notice the newsagent had relocated into the offie which BTW has vast floorspace upstairs (wine) and I can't see how it would make sense to use the old newsagent space as an extension of the off-licence, unless they tried it out as something like a craft beer shop but realistically I'd say the newsagent will go back to their old spot.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Looks like a Freshii is opening right beside the Central Park luas stop.

Didn't notice the newsagent had relocated into the offie which BTW has vast floorspace upstairs (wine) and I can't see how it would make sense to use the old newsagent space as an extension of the off-licence, unless they tried it out as something like a craft beer shop but realistically I'd say the newsagent will go back to their old spot.

Perhaps whats upstairs could be moved down to where the newsagent is/was and upstairs be used for storage

Vodafone in Stillorgan has closed, merged with their Blackrock shop.

Vodafone in Stillorgan has closed, merged with their Blackrock shop.

Ah thats kinda annoying would usually go there for all my Vodafone needs as Im a Vodafone customer. I find Blackrock a nightmare for parking.

Not sure how new this place is but their flyer came though my letterbox this weekend, it's called Global Cuisine, is located in the Dundrum Centre above the cinema and appears to be an 'all you can eat' operation though that specific term is conspicuously absent from their literature and on the website.

Flat price for lunch - adult €11.95 12:00 - 16:00 Mon-Fri, higher prices for dinner and weekends.

http://www.globalcuisine.ie/

Not sure how new this place is but their flyer came though my letterbox this weekend, it's called Global Cuisine, is located in the Dundrum Centre above the cinema and appears to be an 'all you can eat' operation though that specific term is conspicuously absent from their literature and on the website.

Flat price for lunch - adult €11.95 12:00 - 16:00 Mon-Fri, higher prices for dinner and weekends.

http://www.globalcuisine.ie/

I think it's been open for about six months where frangos used to be. Now a food court with Subway, Costa, Chopped and some lesser known places like Global cuisine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think it's been open for about six months where frangos used to be. Now a food court with Subway, Costa, Chopped and some lesser known places like Global cuisine.

It's where pizza hut used to be.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    It's where pizza hut used to be.

Pizza Hut is gone? Since when

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Pizza Hut is gone? Since when

I'd say somewhere between 8 months and a year at this point.

I'd say somewhere between 8 months and a year at this point.

God thats how little I venture up to the top floor

Slight tangent, but surprised at how many properties on Blackrock Main Street are still empty. It's like almost nothing has changed since the recession. Looks like at least 12 units, including the former Post Office. Quite a contrast with Monkstown nearby where any vacant properties seem to be filled almost imediately. Wonder what effect, if any, the expansion of the Frascati Centre will have.

Slight tangent, but surprised at how many properties on Blackrock Main Street are still empty. It's like almost nothing has changed since the recession. Looks like at least 12 units, including the former Post Office. Quite a contrast with Monkstown nearby where any vacant properties seem to be filled almost imediately. Wonder what effect, if any, the expansion of the Frascati Centre will have.

Prezzo are going into the post office and are refitting the place.

My mum used to have a shop just off main street years ago and had to close down. Rents are still quite high, some of the landlords are tricky or too picky on tenants and the footfall is still quite crap unfortunately.

Prezzo are going into the post office and are refitting the place.

My mum used to have a shop just off main street years ago and had to close down. Rents are still quite high, some of the landlords are tricky or too picky on tenants and the footfall is still quite crap unfortunately.
    Thanks, interesting re Prezzo. The 'To Let' signs are still up.

I had assumed that unreasonably high rents were at least part of the problem. Shame to see the street so empty, apart from estate agents and bookies.

Thanks, interesting re Prezzo. The 'To Let' signs are still up.

I had assumed that unreasonably high rents were at least part of the problem. Shame to see the street so empty, apart from estate agents and bookies.

Yeah Prezzo applied for and were granted permission to gut the interiors back in February.

Unless it all fell through and they got cold feet which is a possibility.

Anyone know whats being done with the old Bank of Ireland in Donnybrook. Huge scafolding on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

This just in. The new name for McDonagh's Pub will be The Dalkey Duck as per the following Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/DalkeyDuck/

It looks nice and quirky (or quackie ;)). It's to open mid June and just in time for the Dalkey Book Festival no less. According to the leaflets, there is to be Live Music, a Garden BBQ and it will be Family Friendly. The masthead even features a mascot "The Dalkey Duck", which is a nice touch. In any case, I am really looking forward to the grand opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Camile Thai have opened in Stillorgan

Advertisement