Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The new name for McDonagh's Pub will be The Dalkey Duck.
    and it will still be known as McDonaghs, especially with such a ludicrous name as that, I thought "the ivory" was bad, and anyone I knew familiar with dalkey still called it mcdonaghs back then. I wonder if they still could have used the mcdonaghs name. I know people unfamiliar with the area who would still know the names mcdonaghs and the queens, and so if visiting would be more likely to try them.

or maybe it will be called McDucks...

61JPr8ykUFL._AC_UL320_SR208,320_.jpg

Their own logo has a top hat & cane too.

18698347_221155195055612_1333524842578206220_n.jpg?oh=c2051cda0a4b357f17841addc6cc795e&oe=59AAE11F

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rubadub wrote: »
    The new name for McDonagh's Pub will be The Dalkey Duck.
    and it will still be known as McDonaghs, especially with such a ludicrous name as that, I thought "the ivory" was bad, and anyone I knew familiar with dalkey still called it mcdonaghs back then. I wonder if they still could have used the mcdonaghs name. I know people unfamiliar with the area who would still know the names mcdonaghs and the queens, and so if visiting would be more likely to try them.

or maybe it will be called McDucks...

61JPr8ykUFL._AC_UL320_SR208,320_.jpg

Their own logo has a top hat & cane too.

18698347_221155195055612_1333524842578206220_n.jpg?oh=c2051cda0a4b357f17841addc6cc795e&oe=59AAE11F

I think the age profile it's targeting won't remember McDonaghs and the new name will catch.

Also it's the sane fellow that started Whelan's in town so could be very promising as a music venue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

coylemj wrote: »
    The door into that unit from outside (opp. the multistorey car park) has Health & Safety notices pasted on it and I've seen lads in hard hats coming and going so there's some work going on inside, maybe a refit? Though for something as simple as a newsagent, you'd expect a refit to take no more than a few days :confused:

There's no notice inside about any 'exciting new .....' unit about to open which suggests it will stay much the same as before.

I can now confirm that the old newsagent will now be Cafè Sol and will not go back to being a newsagent. I assume they're moving the Cafe Sol from across the corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I can now confirm that the old newsagent will now be Cafè Sol and will not go back to being a newsagent. I assume they're moving the Cafe Sol from across the corridor.

Yeah that whole area will open up to the Dunnes shop floor, new Sol opens tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hopefully this will mean an improvement in how long it takes them to make coffee, some days with one or two people ahead of you, there could be a 10 min wait from order to getting your coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Turning it into a much required coffee shop! How could you be expected to walk over 100 metres to get from one to the other at the moment :D

I was only joking when I posted this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The work at the Frascati Centre is really moving on apace with hoarding around the entrance and carpark now. Any ideas of the new stores?

The work at the Frascati Centre is really moving on apace with hoarding around the entrance and carpark now. Any ideas of the new stores?

An expanded Marks and Spencer with a drapery section?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A bigger Debenhams anchor I believe.

Larbre34 wrote: »

Hopefully it improves as its woeful at present. Roches Stores was a far better shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The work at the Frascati Centre is really moving on apace .......

According to the Frascati website, the refit will coincide with a new junction on the main road which will facilitate traffic coming from town turning (right) into the centre and cars exiting the centre will be able to turn right towards Monkstown. Should make for interesting times ahead .......

http://frascatishoppingcentre.ie/frascati-extension-scheme/

Larbre34 wrote: »

Unless they start selling food, I can't see how Debenhams could use more space. They have a huge basement lower ground floor with mens' clothes, small electrical appliances, luggage, kitchen gear and household (mainly towels and bedding).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

An expanded Marks and Spencer with a drapery section?

I saw there was a settlement recently between Invesco & M&S regarding the new entrance to the centre - M&S wanted a new entrance built as in the new plans, they will not be as prominent as currently, so they were concerned they would lose visibility and custom. This might suggest that they are not expanding significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

According to the Frascati website, the refit will coincide with a new junction on the main road which will facilitate traffic coming from town turning (right) into the centre and cars exiting the centre will be able to turn right towards Monkstown. Should make for interesting times ahead .......

Is that not the way it was until recently when they closed the right turn lane from town??

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I was just thinking that Blackrock could do with more roadworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Is that not the way it was until recently when they closed the right turn lane from town??

No there was never a right turn from town prior to the upgrade works. It was two straight lanes past the centre and you had to turn left into Blackrock main street to swing back around, its a pain if you're coming that direction.

No there was never a right turn from town prior to the upgrade works. It was two straight lanes past the centre and you had to turn left into Blackrock main street to swing back around, its a pain if you're coming that direction.

+1 and people coming out of Frascati who want to head south towards Monkstown have to go left, then cross the inbound lanes to get into the right-turning lane to swing around the Blackrock (Supervalu) SC to drive down the old main street. Sometimes the queue for that right-turn lane extends back and blocks one of the inbound lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

+1 and people coming out of Frascati who want to head south towards Monkstown have to go left, then cross the inbound lanes to get into the right-turning lane to swing around the Blackrock (Supervalu) SC to drive down the old main street. Sometimes the queue for that right-turn lane extends back and blocks one of the inbound lanes.

but for the last couple of months (when the right turn lane was open from town) it was possible to come out of Frescati at that entrance (the one nearer town) and turn right to Monkstown or go straight to Blackrock or go left to town. Is this not what they are proposing to return to??

That link is from Dec 2015 so I think that the new junction has already operated that way until they recently closed the right hand turn.

New shop Bathroom Studios now open in Leopardstown beside where cartridge green used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Yeah that whole area will open up to the Dunnes shop floor, new Sol opens tomorrow.

Dunnes have closed in Café Sol so much that it's cramped and dark. I've heard dark mutterings from older family members and their friends about it. They'd enjoyed the light and bright position of the previous location as well as opportunities to people-watch. Now they're indignantly seeking out alternatives.
    The concourse looks better now that it's open to the shop, but I don't recall seeing any benches there over the last week or two. They're a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Dubl07 wrote: »

Dunnes have closed in Café Sol so much that it's cramped and dark. I've heard dark mutterings from older family members and their friends about it. They'd enjoyed the light and bright position of the previous location as well as opportunities to people-watch. Now they're indignantly seeking out alternatives.
    The concourse looks better now that it's open to the shop, but I don't recall seeing any benches there over the last week or two. They're a loss.

The new cafe is jammed everyday but I'd agree with you tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Moo's Burrito gone in where Kitchen Sixty Two used to be on Georges St. Upper in Dun Laoghaire. Seems to be unusual opening hours though. I dropped down just before 7pm on Friday and they were closed. Their Facebook says they close at 4pm Mon-Wed and 5pm the rest of the week. Odd closing times for a burrito place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

New shop Bathroom Studios now open in Leopardstown beside where cartridge green used to be.

Ridiculous site for a bathroom showrooms. Too small, parking is a nightmare now that the shops have coned off the 4 spaces on Leopardstown Avenue and are placing cones in the PUBLIC parking spaces which they have no right to do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hopefully this will mean an improvement in how long it takes them to make coffee, some days with one or two people ahead of you, there could be a 10 min wait from order to getting your coffee

The wait times for coffee are still ridiculous, the last few weekends i've been studying at home so normally go up for a coffee around lunch time, but both days i had a 15 min wait from the time i joined the Q to the time i actually got my coffee.

There's a couple of cafe sol's near my office and both are insanely efficient compared to this one, i just dont know how they are so slow or how they mess orders up so much.

But in saying that, its a very starbucks vibe, i seen one guy there on sunday @12:30 and then i went back up to do some shopping at 5 and he was still there with his bloody mac and probably the same coffee ;)

Do agree it is a bit dark, probably wont be an inviting place in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ridiculous site for a bathroom showrooms. Too small, parking is a nightmare now that the shops have coned off the 4 spaces on Leopardstown Avenue and are placing cones in the PUBLIC parking spaces which they have no right to do.
    Take them, or report them to the council or gardai. I have seen gardai cones near me which I was not sure if they were stolen or not, was meaning to email the gardai as I would hope they would not approve of their placement. Probably get in serious trouble for theft of garda property.

If just random unmarked cones obstructing parking spaces I would have no problem nicking them, or let it be known in the football forum where people might be looking for what are effectively litter, cones for use for goal posts or corner posts or running in between. Or maybe advertise them as "free" on donedeal or adverts giving the location.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

More coffee shops than charity shops now?

https://twitter.com/CormacDevlin/status/876801910170431488

Looks like the Europa chipper in St Fintans park is closed, have drove by it a few times over the last couple of weeks and it's been shuttered

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Looks like the Europa chipper in St Fintans park is closed, have drove by it a few times over the last couple of weeks and it's been shuttered

Steve Caviston's new place opened up (beside) there today

https://twitter.com/stephencaviston/status/875438104403996673

The Euro Giant store on lower George's St, DL, has closed.

The Euro Giant store on lower George's St, DL, has closed.

Not surprising really as Dealz was getting far more buisnes. Any time I ever went in it was quiet enough.

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    More coffee shops than charity shops now?

https://twitter.com/CormacDevlin/status/876801910170431488

Est. 1874?

Advertisement