Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

"Serving since..." Company Records Office confirms the 'brand' is brand new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Ridiculous site for a bathroom showrooms. Too small, parking is a nightmare now that the shops have coned off the 4 spaces on Leopardstown Avenue and are placing cones in the PUBLIC parking spaces which they have no right to do.

Who says they are public spaces?

I I remeber correctly there were 3/4 spaces for the commercial units directly outside the units and these were removed with the widening of the road there. I'd have a wild guess that the 4 spaces across the road were provided by the council in replacement to those outside the unit. In that case they are private car spaces and can be used.

If you wnat to find out, call the planning section of DLCC and they will conform for you - far better getting the information than assuming and getting in a knot over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Who says they are public spaces?

I I remeber correctly there were 3/4 spaces for the commercial units directly outside the units and these were removed with the widening of the road there. I'd have a wild guess that the 4 spaces across the road were provided by the council in replacement to those outside the unit. In that case they are private car spaces and can be used.

If you wnat to find out, call the planning section of DLCC and they will conform for you - far better getting the information than assuming and getting in a knot over it.

I know the leaseholders have been allocated the 4 spaces off the footpath. The public spaces I referred to are the indented spaces on the left Leopardstown Avenue which are public parking spaces but somebody up there think they have the right to place cones in these spaces at night. Probably the same people who consider it their God given right to make the illegal right turn from Leopardstown Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

a yoga and Pilates studio is going in at Ash Grove (off Kill Ave in Dun Laoghaire)
    It's called strive studio (no online presence yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    "Serving since..." Company Records Office confirms the 'brand' is brand new.

This might explain it so

http://www.dunlaoghaire.ie/bailey-and-pim/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Stephen15 wrote: »

very clearly trying to hide the prices they are charging, so you can presume they are very expensive for what a bit of flour, sugar and oil cost. Checked several of their links and only saw prices displayed per dozen -very telling. Having to actively hide your prices speaks volumes...

I do feel a little sorry as I believe the likes of tesco are selling their below cost at 1euro for 5, but some of these places could be on a par with them quality wise, people are ready to dismiss "cheap" donuts as utter crap while in blind tests they might not tell as much (just like mainstream beer dismissal/snobbery).

rubadub wrote: »
    very clearly trying to hide the prices they are charging, so you can presume they are very expensive for what a bit of flour, sugar and oil cost. Checked several of their links and only saw prices displayed per dozen -very telling. Having to actively hide your prices speaks volumes...

I do feel a little sorry as I believe the likes of tesco are selling their below cost at 1euro for 5, but some of these places could be on a par with them quality wise, people are ready to dismiss "cheap" donuts as utter crap while in blind tests they might not tell as much (just like mainstream beer dismissal/snobbery).

I actually agree I tried some doughnuts from Aungier Danger there a while ago I have to say they were mediocre to say the least. I don't personally like doughnuts I think normal cakes are nicer and healthier even if they are unhealthy.

This whole doughnut thing at the moment is just a fad really. They'll probably all be gone out of buisness in a few years anyway or maybe Dunkin Donuts will see this as an ideal time to re enter the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

rubadub wrote: »

The doughnuts in Offbeat are 2e and 3e depending on the filling and they are an absolute world away from what you get in a supermarket. If you don't like them fair enough, but there is actually no comparison between a Smore doughnut from OffBeat (liquid marshmallow centre, minimarshmallows on top with chocolate) and a bag of tesco jam doughnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Starting to get cold turkey because we haven't had any speculation on the Playwright site for at least two weeks now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

new wine place going in Lower Georges St

https://jeansmullen.com/Blog/Index/75

I think that's the former beauty salon beside the Tony Quinn place. The TQ place has a PP application for change of use to a *drum roll* cafe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

coylemj wrote: »
    Starting to get cold turkey because we haven't had any speculation on the Playwright site for at least two weeks now :rolleyes:

I'm going with a wild guess (and it is a pure guess) that Fallon & Byrne will take it and have combo store and restaurant.

There, that's cured you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I'm going with a wild guess (and it is a pure guess) that Fallon & Byrne will take it and have combo store and restaurant.

There, that's cured you :)

I'll take your Fallon and Byrne and raise you Donnybrook Fair.

Again, based on eff all.

Well what could go in there really. It's too small for a Lidl/Aldi too big for Spar/Centra and anyway there's a Centra and a garage just down the road. A Tesco Express might work but locals will probably object due to parking issues. There's an Off Licence down the road too so that's probably out of the equation. That narrows it down to a Donnybrook/Fallon and Byrne type shop which is possible either that or the units will be divided.

Also another one of this threads great dileamas what's happening Shankill SC is Lidl still going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Well what could go in there really. It's too small for a Lidl/Aldi too big for Spar/Centra and anyway there's a Centra and a garage just down the road. A Tesco Express might work but locals will probably object due to parking issues. There's an Off Licence down the road too so that's probably out of the equation. That narrows it down to a Donnybrook/Fallon and Byrne type shop which is possible either that or the units will be divided.

Also another one of this threads great dileamas what's happening Shankill SC is Lidl still going in.

that's a point. What happened to the posh Lithuanian shop that was supposed to be going in there?

that's a point. What happened to the posh Lithuanian shop that was supposed to be going in there?

They pulled out about a month before they were supposed to open and Lidl is now meant to be going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

They pulled out about a month before they were supposed to open and Lidl is now meant to be going in.

I've actually heard that LIDL are going to level it and Build again

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lots of objections filed already

ted1 wrote: »
    Lots of objections filed already

I don't get why there would be so many objections considering it already was a supermarket in the past so surely traffic wouldn't be too much of an issue. I don't see the need to knock it mind you surely the former supervalu premises is big enough to house a Lidl theres many smaller Lidls around like the one in Deansgrange and the one in Stillorgan.

• Advertisement

Some people don't like change, considering there is no supermarket in Shankill you'd think they would welcome it

Some people don't like change, considering there is no supermarket in Shankill you'd think they would welcome it

I reckon its sometimes because of snobery that people object to Lidl/Aldi and if it was a Dunnes, Tesco or Supervalu going in they wouldn't be so quick to object.

I reckon its sometimes because of snobery that people object to Lidl/Aldi and if it was a Dunnes, Tesco or Supervalu going in they wouldn't be so quick to object.
    Chav and Tesco go hand in hand ;)

Chav and Tesco go hand in hand ;)

Still one in Merrion SC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They put a Lidl close by me (about 3 years ago) and I have to say it's great having one close

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Still one in Merrion SC
    It's a remarkably different experience from the usual Tesco :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Still one in Merrion SC
    It's a remarkably different experience from the usual Tesco :)

Depends on what you class as the usual Tesco. I've been to Arklow, Clare Hall, Balbriggan, Merrion, Bloomfields, Stillorgan, Dungannon and others.

All have been fine. Of the others that are below par, Stillorgan is getting an extension, it's been a long time since I was in Clondalkin and yes, it seemed grubby and cramped. So was Rathmines. Perhaps it's down to individual management teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The Tesco in Bloomfields is lovely :)

The Tesco in Bloomfields is lovely :)

I wouldn't go as far as to say lovely but at least it's clean and modern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Depends on what you class as the usual Tesco. I've been to Arklow, Clare Hall, Balbriggan, Merrion, Bloomfields, Stillorgan, Dungannon and others.

All have been fine. Of the others that are below par, Stillorgan is getting an extension, it's been a long time since I was in Clondalkin and yes, it seemed grubby and cramped. So was Rathmines. Perhaps it's down to individual management teams?

Local management typically have no say whatsoever in the matter. I don't know the details for Tesco but I heard a while back that Dunnes Stores grades their stores into three categories so for example, St. Stephens Green and Cornelscourt would be top tier and then you go down the scale according to local economic conditions and the propensity of locals to buy more expensive food items. Tesco probably does something similar with the Merrion Centre being their flagship store.

Advertisement