Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    xper wrote: »
    Here's a random question for people who have been around Blackrock longer than I have - did it ever have a cinema? Given the timing that both shopping centres were first built, it may have been just a few years too early for either development to include a multiplex.

I don't think it ever did. Blackrock isin't really that big size wise its somewhere in between a town like Dun Laoghaire or Bray and a village like Deansgrange or Dalkey. I couldn't see a cinema doing that well there I reckon it might be a case of flooding the market considering Dun Laoghaire, Stillorgan and even Dundrum are only a hop, skip and jump away.
    Most towns had a picture house, Glasthule had one , just googled it had one open in 1914 and closed in 1929

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

I don't think it ever did. Blackrock isin't really that big size wise its somewhere in between a town like Dun Laoghaire or Bray and a village like Deansgrange or Dalkey. I couldn't see a cinema doing that well there I reckon it might be a case of flooding the market considering Dun Laoghaire, Stillorgan and even Dundrum are only a hop, skip and jump away.

Funny enough Dalkey had one at one time somewhere near the top of Convent Road IIRC. Never heard of one in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

ted1 wrote: »
    Most towns had a picture house, Glasthule had one , just googled it had one open in 1914 and closed in 1929

They actually just recycled the cinema in Blackrock, it was in use until early 60's, my Mother was a regular in the 50's

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/42603

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Too many kids here :) (ok, I Googled it)

Regent Cinema was in the middle of the town where cafe java is.

Operated until 1961

uch wrote: »
    They actually just recycled the cinema in Blackrock, it was in use until early 60's, my Mother was a regular in the 50's

You got there before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Supervalu objects to Blackrock SC redevelopment over concerns due to reduced carparking spaces.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/musgrave-objects-to-redevelopment-works-at-blackrock-shopping-centre-1.3165624

ongarboy wrote: »
    Supervalu objects to Blackrock SC redevelopment over concerns due to reduced carparking spaces.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/musgrave-objects-to-redevelopment-works-at-blackrock-shopping-centre-1.3165624

This concerns the development of extra office space on part of the carpark of the Blackrock shopping centre - no connection with the Frascati centre redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CeilingFly wrote: »
    This concerns the development of extra office space on part of the carpark of the Blackrock shopping centre - no connection with the Frascati centre redevelopment.

This thread is not exclusively about the Frascati Centre. Which BTW nobody has mentioned since last Thursday, recent posts have been about the old cinema in Blackrock.

coylemj wrote: »

This thread is not exclusively about the Frascati Centre. Which BTW nobody has mentioned since last Thursday, recent posts have been about the old cinema in Blackrock.

I imagine the thought of Aldi opening across the road, right when there car park is a building site would have influenced there objections

coylemj wrote: »

I can see that (d'oh) - but in the context of the poster's last post here was about Aldi going into the Frascati centre and that the poster is from Dublin 15, you could deduct that the poster did not realise that there are two shopping centres in Blackrock with just a road dividing them and that this objection will have no bearing on the Frascati development.

Any news on the Playwright - no new suggestions for over a week! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I can see that (d'oh) - but in the context of the poster's last post here was about Aldi going into the Frascati centre and that the poster is from Dublin 15, you could deduct that the poster did not realise that there are two shopping centres in Blackrock with just a road dividing them and that this objection will have no bearing on the Frascati development.

Good work there Sherlock.
    Any news on the Playwright - no new suggestions for over a week! :)

A bit of a religious argy bargy has broken out thanks to a (spoof?) suggestion that it was being 'looked at' by the Scientologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

The Dark Horse in Blackrock is closing unfortunately

https://twitter.com/TheDarkHorseDub/status/895950166905290752

Meanwhile Blackrock Shopping Centre will be getting a facelift, perhaps with a new "Ballon & Fyrne"...

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/895227823417327616

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Meanwhile Blackrock Shopping Centre will be getting a facelift, perhaps with a new "Ballon & Fyrne"...

https://twitter.com/smytho/status/895227823417327616

And a Doojum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh no!

Blackrock Shopping Centre got caught in a fire from a gas canister on the roof.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/south-dublin-shopping-centre-evacuated-as-fire-brigade-tackle-roof-blaze-36022857.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,016 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Dark Horse pub implied on their Facebook page that it's their last night as a Galway Bay brewery so possibly theyll remain or reopen just under a different name/affiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The Dark Horse pub implied on their Facebook page that it's their last night as a Galway Bay brewery so possibly theyll remain or reopen just under a different name/affiliation.

They will apparently yes. Beer Traders in Dun Laoghaire will follow shortly, a shame really but GB just never seemed bothered to put any effort into making it work, no wonder staff are leaving across the board.

I see now after they opened Cafè Sol. The off licence is the next part of Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt is the next to get a refurb

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

They will apparently yes. Beer Traders in Dun Laoghaire will follow shortly, a shame really but GB just never seemed bothered to put any effort into making it work, no wonder staff are leaving across the board.

Galway Brewery bars sell lovely beers but they are very expensive. No surprise that Beer Traders didn't take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Both blackrock and dun laoghaire have wetherspoons, so this would not have helped those 2 pubs at all -as spoons have a good selection of non-mainstream beers at very good prices, some cheaper than the off licence.

Beer traders is not a nice location either, looks out of place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The Dark Horse just couldn't handle a decent crowd at all, usually no food or a long wait. And it was quite expensive. Sad, because it was so close to work :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,016 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Giblet wrote: »
    The Dark Horse just couldn't handle a decent crowd at all, usually no food or a long wait. And it was quite expensive. Sad, because it was so close to work :S

The atmosphere was awful. They dug their own grave at the start when they kept the Avoca's partition of the bar into two areas.

At the start they had a huge range of craft beers on tap and in bottles but by the end they had reduced so much that they were a craft beer pub in name only with as much craft beer as any other pub.

Their steak night deal was cracking though.

The gift shop opposite the Natural Bakery in Dun Laoghaire is closing. Saw it on facebook. The Great Outdoors is meant to opening up in Dun Laoghaire where Reeds used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭josip

The gift shop opposite the Natural Bakery in Dun Laoghaire is closing. Saw it on facebook. The Great Outdoors is meant to opening up in Dun Laoghaire where Reeds used to be.

Are they targeting the sailing/water enthusiasts market?

josip wrote: »
    Are they targeting the sailing/water enthusiasts market?

Im not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Great Outdoors is meant to opening up in Dun Laoghaire where Reeds used to be.

I would have thought Dun Laoghaire was an obvious spot for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Was in Terenure for first time in a few weeks and seen the Off Licence (Corks) shut down after 32 years in business.

Used to be a regular place for me - Not sure what happened - I guess the ALdi/Lidl didnt help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

ah thats much better news than being forced to close!

I will miss popping in there tho

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Toil and Glitter boutique in Glasthule closed suddenly.

• Advertisement

McCabes Wines on Mount Merrion Avenue is gone from what I hear

Advertisement