Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Anyone know what is planned for the Retail Park in Carrickmines? I see that the hoardings have been fixed up (purple and quite tidy looking) in the park but new ones have also appeared along the parts of the Retail Park that backa onto to the Ballyogan Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Anyone know what is planned for the Retail Park in Carrickmines? I see that the hoardings have been fixed up (purple and quite tidy looking) in the park but new ones have also appeared along the parts of the Retail Park that backa onto to the Ballyogan Road.

There are plans for a twon square and cinema in that part of the park, or there were before the development at Cherrywood was approved.

http://www.thepark.ie/future-plans/

There are plans for a twon square and cinema in that part of the park, or there were before the development at Cherrywood was approved.

http://www.thepark.ie/future-plans/

Cheers. That info has been floating around for a while. Was hoping that more information might have been released :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Stephen15 wrote: »
    McCabes Wines on Mount Merrion Avenue is gone from what I hear

Ah no :( I always thought they did quite well, though I think the building itself was sold recently so maybe that had an impact in terms of rent etc. I imagine that migth affect passing trade for the Butlers Pantry too - they were quite well matched as traders there.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭cobham

New wine outlet on Dun Laoire main street, opposite Cancer Charity shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

cobham wrote: »
    New wine outlet on Dun Laoire main street, opposite Cancer Charity shop.

Three units on the Georges Street in Dun Laoghaire that had been to let for quite a while are being fitted out at the moment which is a good sign. They are the former Reads Printing, Corrs Menswear and the old Bank building on the corner of Mulgrave Street/Georges Street.

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Sandyford Inn is closed - sold apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭L1011

aoh wrote: »
    Sandyford Inn is closed - sold apparently

That's the one in the shopping centre? Or the Sandyford House in the village?

The House must have been sold ten times in the past 20 years at this stage if its it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

L1011 wrote: »
    That's the one in the shopping centre? Or the Sandyford House in the village?

The House must have been sold ten times in the past 20 years at this stage if its it.

The House in the village I think, it looked closed up when I passed the other day.

Not a great spot for a pub, probably struggles to attract customers. Sandyford Village is a very odd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭L1011

awec wrote: »
    The House in the village I think, it looked closed up when I passed the other day.

Not a great spot for a pub, probably struggles to attract customers. Sandyford Village is a very odd place.

I think the last sale was sold implying redevelopment but there's no planning in (as yet anyway) on the site. Lots of suburban pubs that were in any way marginal are going for apartments - Farmhouse in Monkstown Farm closed recently enough for demolition as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

L1011 wrote: »
    I think the last sale was sold implying redevelopment but there's no planning in (as yet anyway) on the site. Lots of suburban pubs that were in any way marginal are going for apartments - Farmhouse in Monkstown Farm closed recently enough for demolition as far as I know.

the apartments are pretty much up there, internals still to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lol at the 6 month project timeline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

ted1 wrote: »
    Lol at the 6 month project timeline

Why? Lidl get their stores up ridiculously quick

Synode wrote: »
    Why? Lidl get their stores up ridiculously quick

True enough Glenageary went up pretty quick

A Subway has gone in beside Spar at The Montrose Student Accommodation

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Three units on the Georges Street in Dun Laoghaire that had been to let for quite a while are being fitted out at the moment which is a good sign. They are the former Reads Printing, Corrs Menswear and the old Bank building on the corner of Mulgrave Street/Georges Street.

Simon
    Passed it this morning. The Card Factory is going in. Another Card shop in DL :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

The Mig wrote: »
    Passed it this morning. The Card Factory is going in. Another Card shop in DL :pac:

they might do "congrats on your new card shop" cards, should be a steady trade.

Does anyone still buy greeting cards in card shops when you buy them in supermarkets and convience stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does anyone still buy greeting cards in card shops when you buy them in supermarkets and convience stores.
    +1 in the likes of dealz you can get really big fancyish ones cheaper than the smallest/cehapest in some of those shops.

The only reason I can think they survive is people worried about the reciever getting mulitiples of the same card from say tesco. But if you want special ones you could get them on online "design your own" sites, though not last minute, or for people not used to computers.

I am surprised there is not more tiny ones, which could be branded as eco friendly on the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

Funnily enough I was thinking this when I was looking for a wedding card recently in Edinburgh. Surely Tesco etc would have crushed card shops in UK I thought.  I stumbled onto the Card Factory and the queue was out the door!! Seems to be a massive demand for cards, bags, party stuff and all the other paraphernalia they sell. 
    They have large selection at cheap prices so I'm sure they'll do well at that location. Shame it's a chain but at least it's getting more footfall on Georges Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,097 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A new greeting card shop when standard post just went up to a quid? I dont see it as a growing market at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mano bano

Tropica in Dalkey is now a cafe during the day coffee juice bar I popped into pick up my take away and the place has been renovated and the girl working there told me that they are doing breakfast lunch and dinner now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

mano bano wrote: »
    Tropica in Dalkey is now a cafe during the day coffee juice bar I popped into pick up my take away and the place has been renovated and the girl working there told me that they are doing breakfast lunch and dinner now

Good call in my opinion. As a Chinese, it was empty nearly all of the time. The new look of the place is smart as well. Very vibrant looking exterior!

Broadening the function of the building makes better use of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Good call in my opinion. As a Chinese, it was empty nearly all of the time. The new look of the place is smart as well. Very vibrant looking exterior!

Broadening the function of the building makes better use of it.

I guess there just wasn't enough revenue in selling three in ones to teenagers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hotel Chocolat are finally opening in Dublin in Dundrum Town Centre.

Take all my money!! :eek::eek::eek::(

Hotel Chocolat are finally opening in Dublin in Dundrum Town Centre.

Take all my money!! :eek::eek::eek::(

Really don't get the fuss :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Anybody hear rumours that the whole of Bradys Bakers Corner site has been sold for apartments/housing and the pub is to go??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Anybody hear rumours that the whole of Bradys Bakers Corner site has been sold for apartments/housing and the pub is to go??

Nope
    Think we'd have heard if that pub had been up for sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Seaswimmer wrote: »

I heard the same last night
    frash wrote: »
    Nope
    Think we'd have heard if that pub had been up for sale

might be a private sale

Advertisement