Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Anybody hear rumours that the whole of Bradys Bakers Corner site has been sold for apartments/housing and the pub is to go??

I heard rumours that a very well known publican was possibly looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Anybody hear rumours that the whole of Bradys Bakers Corner site has been sold for apartments/housing and the pub is to go??

I hope that this wouldn't require flattening the pub itself. As a pub, it is a landmark and a popular haunt for those studying in IADT.

Having said that, I looked at the map of the Development Plan and it isn't a protected structure which I am very surprised by. See the following link:

https://dlrcocouncil.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=1dd5eacc9af24f4f8b2cd30ebb54a4c3

Protected structures and listed buildings are identified by a yellowish-orange shape to indicate which portion of the building is protected. However, in almost all cases, the entire building itself is highlighted.

In any case, it would be sacrilege to see the building demolished. Going by the style of the building, I am guessing that it is at least 100 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

It's no architectural gem though, couldn't see a strong argument for having it as a protected structure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Its rumored that the Louis Fitzgerald group has bought the entire site/pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

qb123 wrote: »
    It's no architectural gem though, couldn't see a strong argument for having it as a protected structure.
    Aye I wouldn't be praising its architectural quality. Plus it's been modified over and over. Massive piece of land though, even if they did develop it I would imagine they would preserve / rebuild the pub. Always has plenty of business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,097 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bakers Corner only has heritage value in that a pub has been on the same site for donkeys years, however its not the same building.

Id be surprised if whatever happens the site does not retain a Pub and food offerings - they are scarce in that in that vicinity considering the Golf Course development is bringing 4,000 odd residents into the area, many with high disposable income and McCormacks and The Grange are already very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The adjacent Garda Station or ex Garda station is an absolute eyesore. Badly in need of painting, cleaning and gardening. Shame on whoever is responsible. Total distain for nearby residents. It is pure squalor now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Didn't see it mentioned but Zambrero is opening in Beacon South Quarter (EDIT) this Thursday, the 19th.

Was due to open today but yesterday's weather etc. delayed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chinasea wrote: »
    The adjacent Garda Station or ex Garda station is an absolute eyesore. Badly in need of painting, cleaning and gardening.
    really bad alright, something you would expect to see in the backarse of a struggling industrial estate.

Be weird if the pub goes, growing up bakers corner meant 3 things to me, the pub, the chipper and the garda station. Be weird if all 3 were gone.

Also the horrible looking church I try to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Chinasea wrote: »
    The adjacent Garda Station or ex Garda station is an absolute eyesore. Badly in need of painting, cleaning and gardening. Shame on whoever is responsible. Total distain for nearby residents. It is pure squalor now.

Strangely enough there are people living in it! The OPW or whoever owns it are renting out space and there are 6 people living and sleeping there.

My father was stationed there in the dim and distant past and he walked past it last week. Door was open so he stuck his head in and got talking to someone living there who gave him a quick tour.

Presume the rent is cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Strangely enough there are people living in it! The OPW or whoever owns it are renting out space and there are 6 people living and sleeping there.

My father was stationed there in the dim and distant past and he walked past it last week. Door was open so he stuck his head in and got talking to someone living there who gave him a quick tour.

Presume the rent is cheap.

Yeah "protection by habitation", but they outside doesnt look nice.

Yeah would be a shame to see Bakers go, spent a lot of my youth there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

rubadub wrote: »
    really bad alright, something you would expect to see in the backarse of a struggling industrial estate.

Be weird if the pub goes, growing up bakers corner meant 3 things to me, the pub, the chipper and the garda station. Be weird if all 3 were gone.

Also the horrible looking church I try to forget.

Dont forget ziggys! RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

heard a rumour that the Five Guys burger franchise is going into Cornelscourt where the off-license was... anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

heard a rumour that the Five Guys burger franchise is going into Cornelscourt where the off-license was... anyone?

Surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Doesn't seem like the kind of place Five Guys would expand their franchise. I'd imagine they'd go to another busy shopping centre like Swords or Blanch if they were thinking about doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Doesn't seem like the kind of place Five Guys would expand their franchise. I'd imagine they'd go to another busy shopping centre like Swords or Blanch if they were thinking about doing this.

There seems to be a lot of noise to that effect on the following page:

https://www.facebook.com/CabinteelyLife/posts/1688186847879426

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

There seems to be a lot of noise to that effect on the following page:

https://www.facebook.com/CabinteelyLife/posts/1688186847879426

They'll seriously need to deal nicely with Foxrock Parish (don't they own the playing field?) and do a land-swap for the area behind the bank then. Parking's already a nightmare at busy times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The off licence is a pretty small space, hard to imagine it would be worth their while

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The off licence is a pretty small space, hard to imagine it would be worth their while

+1 take out kitchen space, a wide counter, space for people to stand placing their order and queuing and there won't be much seating space left. It certainly is not going to affect parking, have no idea what poster Dubl07 is on about two posts above.

I thought the off-license was going to go back in as it was only being renovated. It would make more sense if Five Guys was to replace the cafe thats currently there. God it wasn't long ago when Dunnes Stores had a Bank of Ireland branch now they don't even have a proper ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I thought the off-license was going to go back in as it was only being renovated. It would make more sense if Five Guys was to replace the cafe thats currently there. God it wasn't long ago when Dunnes Stores had a Bank of Ireland branch now they don't even have a proper ATM.

There are two ATMs inside and the shelving units in the relocated off-licence section look like they're there to stay, not going back to the old place I'd say.

There wasn't much that they could have done to the old off-licence, the problem with the location was that it was over two floors and they couldn't entice people to go upstairs to see the massive selection of wine on display on the top deck so they just gave up on that unit for booze.

Which reminds me..... the upstairs would be ideal as seating for a burger joint, similar to McDonalds in Stillorgan. So I take back what I said (two posts above) about lack of space for seating.

coylemj wrote: »
    There are two ATMs inside and the shelving units in the relocated off-licence section look like they're there to stay, not going back to the old place I'd say.

There wasn't much that they could have done to the old off-licence, the problem with the location was that it was over two floors and they couldn't entice people to go upstairs to see the massive selection of wine on display on the top deck so they just gave up on that unit for booze.

Which reminds me..... the upstairs would be ideal as seating for a burger joint, similar to McDonalds in Stillorgan. So I take back what I said (two posts above) about lack of space for seating.

Yes but those are of they only allow withdraw €150 at a time like most in-store ATMs.

I was walking past the back of the old off licence a few weeks ago so I peeked my head in and it appears the upstairs has been removed unless it will be put back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Apache Pizza going in to the former Spar unit on Blackrock Main Street. Hiring signs and work in progress inside as I passed there this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

xper wrote: »
    Apache Pizza going in to the former Spar unit on Blackrock Main Street. Hiring signs and work in progress inside as I passed there this evening.

Ongoing deterioration of that stretch of the village into a fast food hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Ongoing deterioration of the village.

Been happening for a while. I don't recall when I last shopped in the main street.

New Nepali restaurant Bhansa Ghar opening on Monday in Cabinteely Village

Ongoing deterioration of that stretch of the village into a fast food hub.

Before you know it will be the land of phone repair shops and e-cigarette shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Well at the other end of Blackrock Main St, The Triggerfish Cookshop, selling kitchen and table ware, recently opened beside the Organic Supermarket.

Ying, yang.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

xper wrote: »
    Well at the other end of Blackrock Main St, The Triggerfish Cookshop, selling kitchen and table ware, recently opened beside the Organic Supermarket.

Ying, yang.

Looks very high end and nice. Was hoping it might be more of a "Stock" type set-up with nice gifty lower priced things too like keep cups and water bottles but seems a but higher end from the pictures I have seen - could be wrong though as I have not had a chance to call in yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,097 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I have major respect for anyone who gives it a shot with high-end low volume retail, hopefully the renewed shopping centres will bring increased footfall for them.

Advertisement