Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I understand the point that its near the Dart line and they have to charge but cmon this Frascati Shopping Centre we're talking about here not Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

aoh wrote: »
    It has been a minimum of €2 for at least a couple of years - and they were very quick on the clamping - so getting 20 mins free is cool when you're just popping in. No shop has been able to validate since (whoever was there before Debenhams - memory like a sieve) left.
    Roches stores ;)

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I understand the point that its near the Dart line and they have to charge but cmon this Frascati Shopping Centre we're talking about here not Dundrum.
    In fairness they are spending a fortune doing the place up and it has to be paid for. And with petrol being do dear you’d spend more than 2 Euro driving further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think the new Aldi will be a big attraction, and hopefully some of the other new stores too will make it more of a "destination" shopping location.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

aoh wrote: »
    Frascati Centre now doing get a ticket on the way in and pay on the way out (and have people at both machines to "help" you). Got away with a quick call and no charge.which makes a change! The multi-storey looks pretty much finished - lights, painted spaces, etc. Just wish they would get all the workers to park in there so actual customers could get a decent spot.

Personally I would prefer if they got the workers take the spaces immediately at the back of the centre so as to avoid the delays while people wait for those spaces rather than going around to the city side of the centre where they can park without holding everyone up. Same problem only worse at Killiney SC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

I think the new Aldi will be a big attraction, and hopefully some of the other new stores too will make it more of a "destination" shopping location.

Can't wait for Aldi. Doubt M&S are worried but SuperValu must be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

frash wrote: »
    "The Bar" going into York Rd in Dun Laoghaire where Beer Traders was

Dropped in last weekend and left after one pint. It's very minimalistic to the point where it looks half finished and has zero atmosphere. It's a huge down grade on Beer Traders in my opinion and that only lasted 18 months or so.

New estate agent in Cabinteely Village where the old Londis used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

Phat Cat wrote: »
    Dropped in last weekend and left after one pint. It's very minimalistic to the point where it looks half finished and has zero atmosphere. It's a huge down grade on Beer Traders in my opinion and that only lasted 18 months or so.

Wasn’t beer traders a Galway bay bar ? Wonder why it closed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

Close to the tragic carpet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

s8n wrote: »

They let the lease run out and put no effort into running the place

Close to the tragic carpet ?
    That’s Cornelscourt , Cabintelly is down a few km.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is in a pretty bad spot in dun laoghaire. if people wanted a different selection of beers there are 2 wetherspoons nearby, both in nicer spots. I was not surprised to hear it closed.

Dropped in last weekend and left after one pint. It's very minimalistic to the point where it looks half finished and has zero atmosphere
    Their facebook page says it is "dog friendly", it does look totally unfinished, possibly to stop dogs wrecking the place and to clean up after them easier.

"the bar" is a terrible name, and I do actually put some importance on names. If they plan on keeping it "dog friendly" they could have come up with a clever name.

https://www.facebook.com/thebarDL/

rubadub wrote: »
    It is in a pretty bad spot in dun laoghaire. if people wanted a different selection of beers there are 2 wetherspoons nearby, both in nicer spots. I was not surprised to hear it closed.

Their facebook page says it is "dog friendly", it does look totally unfinished, possibly to stop dogs wrecking the place and to clean up after them easier.

"the bar" is a terrible name, and I do actually put some importance on names. If they plan on keeping it "dog friendly" they could have come up with a clever name.

The bar(k) :):)

Off the leash? The possibilities are endless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Beer Traders was dog friendly too though.

I agree, it was in a bad spot, plus of course it's proximity to Wetherspoons didn't exactly help, but if Beer Traders failed then I can't see this new bar lasting very long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Beer Traders was dog friendly too though.

I agree, it was in a bad spot, plus of course it's proximity to Wetherspoons didn't exactly help, but if Beer Traders failed then I can't see this new bar lasting very long either.

Gilberts & Wrights around the corner doing perfectly fine so it can work there if they put in a bit of effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Gilberts & Wrights around the corner doing perfectly fine so it can work there if they put in a bit of effort

And if the usual knockers stop pontificating and moaning.

Jeez, someone has invested their money.

If you have nothing positive to say why not just speak to your cat. Same on FB, everytime a new business opens in Dun Laoghaire, the experts pop up and scoff. Wouldn't mind but Dun Laoghaire has some exceptional unique shops, and no doubt the prolific naysayers have never graced their doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I was given the option I would much rather have G&W position.

Chinasea wrote: »
    And if the usual knockers stop pontificating and moaning.
    hahaha, how ironic. FFS you are the biggest pontificator and moaner I have seen in this particular forum, out of the woodwork every single time whinging and wanting people follow your rules. Thanks be to christ most people do not have your terrible attitude, the likes of review pages would be utterly useless if people could strictly only say positive things.

If I was going to open a business in any area I would be researching online and would be well annoyed if people took your approach. People have indeed invested money, if I was to do so I would not be asking friends & family for opinions, or if I did I would be very wary. I would highly value the opinions of people who are not going to be "yes men" afraid of offending me. It is sad to think so many might have made such bad business ventures due to a lack of "local knowledge" which many posting here would have. Many potential investors, especially outsiders to the area, might be completely unaware of past history of businesses etc.

If I was the owner of the pub I would be delighted to come across this page, rather than just read facebook posts which are likely mainly acquaintances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

If I was given the option I would much rather have G&W position.

hahaha, how ironic. FFS you are the biggest pontificator and moaner I have seen in this particular forum, out of the woodwork every single time whinging and wanting people follow your rules. Thanks be to christ most people do not have your terrible attitude, the likes of review pages would be utterly useless if people could strictly only say positive things.

If I was going to open a business in any area I would be researching online and would be well annoyed if people took your approach. People have indeed invested money, if I was to do so I would not be asking friends & family for opinions, or if I did I would be very wary. I would highly value the opinions of people who are not going to be "yes men" afraid of offending me. It is sad to think so many might have made such bad business ventures due to a lack of "local knowledge" which many posting here would have. Many potential investors, especially outsiders to the area, might be completely unaware of past history of businesses etc.

If I was the owner of the pub I would be delighted to come across this page, rather than just read facebook posts which are likely mainly acquaintances.

Rather hostile response/tone which is a bit aggressive. A lot of “if I’s” also, which is my point.

These People have opened a business, they have taken a risk, with their livelihood, and some folk seem to think it fine to publically berate and try and destroy the business. If you don’t like it, why not offer feedback direct back face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Blut2

If a business can't survive honest reviews online then its going to fail. Thats just the way things are in 2017. The internet has made it much harder for sub par businesses to operate, thankfully for the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭josip

Blut2 wrote: »
    ...Thats just the way things are in 2017. The internet has made it much harder for sub par businesses to operate, thankfully for the customer.

Perhaps.
    https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/434gqw/i-made-my-shed-the-top-rated-restaurant-on-tripadvisor

Was just passing quickly but noticed a "Chocolate cafe" opposite bloomfields in Dun Laoghaire main street with the windows blacked out - looked like a new cafe opening?

New phone repair shop in Donnybrook where Molloy's used to be 'Murray Mobile'. Gave them a quick Google and it seems they also have a new store in Dundrum Village aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Two closures on Blackrock Main Street over christmas. Kenz (Moroccan restaurant) and Ouzos.

Quite surprising, really, I would have thought they were both doing okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 VeggieHugger

Sorry to hear about Kenz.

Better news re Ouzos - from "kellyandcoopers.ie":

"Coming Soon to Blackrock
    Kelly and Cooper is the new pub and kitchen opening on January 14th in the heart of Blackrock, on the site of the present Ouzos restaurant.

Same owners, same great food but in a fabulous new setting."

So a redecoration with a change of name and menu, rather than a business failing.

I noticed the restaurant above Goggins in Monkstown has changed hands yet again. It's now an Italian again Osteria 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Book Value in Frascati Shopping Centre in Blackrock is having a closing down sale with all of their stock going for €5 each or less.

Sorry to hear about Kenz.

Better news re Ouzos - from "kellyandcoopers.ie":

"Coming Soon to Blackrock
    Kelly and Cooper is the new pub and kitchen opening on January 14th in the heart of Blackrock, on the site of the present Ouzos restaurant.

Same owners, same great food but in a fabulous new setting."

So a redecoration with a change of name and menu, rather than a business failing.

Makes sense. The Dalkey one is always busy and probably takes business from the Blackrock one

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pub licence was kept active on it, huge demand for pub premises in most parts of Dublin but Blackrock may be somewhat over-supplied already I'd have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Blut2

L1011 wrote: »
    Pub licence was kept active on it, huge demand for pub premises in most parts of Dublin but Blackrock may be somewhat over-supplied already I'd have thought.

On the one hand theres Wetherspoons taking pretty much the entirety of the under 25s market, and a large chunk of the more price sensitive 25+ age group. And on the other there are places like Conways firmly established on the "nice/expensive/older" end of the spectrum. It'll be interesting to see how much space there is left.

I guess maybe they could really push the food / gastropub angle, thats about the only useful USP I could see for them.

Advertisement