Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Permission to shoot?

• 15-12-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I was approached by security when trying to take a picture along this lane - http://g.co/maps/mz5yu - he said I needed to get permission to shoot along there, is this right?

Would I need permission if I was to take photos where that man is walking by?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

Once you are on a public road nobody can stop you taking pictures BUT you may be asked to stop if you are in a sensitive area i.e. the Dail, Government Buildings ect.
    Best to nod and say ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd ignore him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

As a matter of interest, do you know where the security people were from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

milos wrote: »
    Once you are on a public road nobody can stop you taking pictures BUT you may be asked to stop if you are in a sensitive area i.e. the Dail, Government Buildings ect.
    I'm sure you can quote legislation, to back this up (the point that you can be stopped while on a public road).
    milos wrote: »
    Best to nod and say ok
    No, best is to just ignore him and continue shooting. If you feel charitable, you can give him a lecture on your rights to shoot in public places.
    Every time you give in to someone like this, it erodes your rights a little bit more, until they are totally gone one day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

K_A wrote: »
    I was approached by security when trying to take a picture along this lane - http://g.co/maps/mz5yu - he said I needed to get permission to shoot along there, is this right?

Would I need permission if I was to take photos where that man is walking by?

The Dept. Of Transport is in there somewhere. I done some work there a few years ago for my last job. Possible the security was from there?

But as the above posters say, once your on a public Road, then there should be no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 K_A

I think they said they were security from the National Gallery. But I'm not sure if that lane way is public, is it?

Thanks for the responses so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Don't know if it's public or not ... but why not ask them who issues the permission/permit and then go to them and ask what right they have to give it/restrict it.

Problem solved.. or maybe not :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

But I'm not sure if that lane way is public, is it?

Dublin City Council are the right people to answer this. Pop an email to customerservices@dublincity.ie - i've asked them before in relation to the financial services area across the river.

Feeling like a mug for giving in to them now!

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Dublin City Council are the right people to answer this. Pop an email to customerservices@dublincity.ie - i've asked them before in relation to the financial services area across the river.

And if they reply saying it's a public lane then surely I can ignore what security say to me then?

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »

IFSC area is private land. DCC have no rights over it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

kceire wrote: »
    IFSC area is private land. DCC have no rights over it ;)

AnCatDubh said that they emailed DCC in asking whether the IFSC was public land or not. Not to look for permission to shoot there. So checking with them sounds like good advice to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I know it's been covered many times before but looking for a very quick, bried summary-
    you can photograph anywhere in public?
    you can photograph the gardaí, security people etc as long as they're in public?
    You can photograhy anyone (lets leave aside minors) as long as they're in public?

I imagine if someone/gardai told me to stop etc I probably would but it's handy to know exactly where you stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

dinneenp wrote: »
    I know it's been covered many times before but looking for a very quick, bried summary-
    you can photograph the gardaí, security people etc as long as they're in public?
    You can photograhy anyone (lets leave aside minors) as long as they're in public?

I imagine if someone/gardai told me to stop etc I probably would but it's handy to know exactly where you stand.

not quite true .... but close.

there are little known laws which are mostly forgotten about....and its only when people will need them that you might find yourself at the back end of a law suit.

the law and photographing in public places is a grey area, at present (in general) you are permitted to photograph anyone in a public place and use it for editorial or artistic means, certain exceptions apply but as a general rule of thumb.

if you are questioned on why you are photographing.... its easier to say things like ... "its part of a college project" or "just testing the light" or say you didn't photograph them.... if someone asks to see the images you can politely tell them no, direct them to the nearest Garda station if they wish to complain or learn more about the rights of photographing in a public place.

if the person is aggressive you can try to explain that legally you are permitted to take a photograph of someone if they are in a public place but you cant use the image to make money without their permission (no point in explaining that the image can however he used for editorial/artistic means without their permission... at the moment I believe thats correct with the law) - I've lost count of the amount of times people have told me they'll shove the camera up my ar$e ..... I usually look at the lens (70-200mm f2.8 lens) ... and tell them they'll need an awful amount of lube....most of them are full of sh1t.

phutyle wrote: »
    AnCatDubh said that they emailed DCC in asking whether the IFSC was public land or not. Not to look for permission to shoot there. So checking with them sounds like good advice to me.

yes by all means email DCC, but the IFSC land is not owned or maintained by DCC.
    You would be better emailing these guys - http://www.ifsc.ie/page.aspx?idpage=6

Got a response from the gallery stating that I do not need permission to take photos outside the building - just inside the premises is when you need to obtain permission. Seems like security were just on a power trip.

I bet if I go down to take some more security will still try and stop me :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Organise a flash mob of photographers for the lane. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Paulw wrote: »
    Organise a flash mob of photographers for the lane. :D

Organise a flash mob for photographers of the lane. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Got a response from the gallery stating that I do not need permission to take photos outside the building - just inside the premises is when you need to obtain permission. Seems like security were just on a power trip.

I bet if I go down to take some more security will still try and stop me :/

what were you wearing? did it look like you were trying to scope the place for a robbery?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

kceire wrote: »
    yes by all means email DCC, but the IFSC land is not owned or maintained by DCC.
    You would be better emailing these guys - http://www.ifsc.ie/page.aspx?idpage=6

But if you didn't know whether a particular street was public or private, surely emailing DCC would be a good idea? At the very least, they'd tell you "It's not public". If you were lucky, they'd actually tell you who owned it. ACD was looking for confirmation that the IFSC wasn't public land. Sure, we all know now that the IFSC is private (in my case, and I'm sure in the case of other people here, I learned that from threads like this - and I assume the information came from people getting this conformation), but none of us were born with this knowledge.

Since the OP is unsure as to who owns the lane in question, checking with DCC (who have responsibility for the vast majority of streets in the City - except the small number of private ones) seems to be a good starting point, rather than randomly emailing private companies asking "do you own this lane?".

• Advertisement

phutyle wrote: »
    But if you didn't know whether a particular street was public or private, surely emailing DCC would be a good idea? At the very least, they'd tell you "It's not public". If you were lucky, they'd actually tell you who owned it. ACD was looking for confirmation that the IFSC wasn't public land. Sure, we all know now that the IFSC is private (in my case, and I'm sure in the case of other people here, I learned that from threads like this - and I assume the information came from people getting this conformation), but none of us were born with this knowledge.

Since the OP is unsure as to who owns the lane in question, checking with DCC (who have responsibility for the vast majority of streets in the City - except the small number of private ones) seems to be a good starting point, rather than randomly emailing private companies asking "do you own this lane?".

Yes, all of what you have said is correct.
    I was replying to a post about the IFSC, nowhere ekse.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

dinneenp wrote: »

There are times when you shouldn't photograph Gardai though, There is case law DPP v braddish that states Gardai are obliged to aquire any and all evidence weather they think it relevant or not and bring it before the court, so for example if you are taking pictures of an incident involving gardai arresting someone and they notice it, they can take your camera to copy the pictures. To offer to send them a copy isnt sufficient as it could be seen as a break in the chain of evidence. It would have to be done by a garda, so for the sake of not having your equipment for a few days take a quick cheek snap and move on.

Security people have no more power than the dog on the street to tell you anything in a public place really.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Tell him he needs clearance to speak to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

iamstop wrote: »
    Tell him he needs clearance to speak to you.

While speaking into your sleeve and holding your ear. :-)

Advertisement