Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music acts that are bad live

Options
  • 15-12-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I've seen plenty of threads about great live acts, so here's one for not-so-good live performances you've seen.

Calvin Harris at NUI Maynooth this year was absolutely atrocious, mainly because it was not a gig and all he did was DJ, no crowd interaction, no singing his own songs etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

That'd be because Calvin Harris is mainly a DJ to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

karaokeman wrote: »
    Calvin Harris at NUI Maynooth this year was absolutely atrocious, mainly because it was not a gig and all he did was DJ, no crowd interaction, no singing his own songs etc.

Did he not DJ very well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Did he not DJ very well?

He did but I was looking for a gig and it just didn't fit my criteria for a gig.

Agree with Baz2009, thats what I should have known before I bought my ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Red Hot Chilli Peppers,saw them at Phoenix Park 04,dreadful,worst big band ive ever seen,the singer was pretty much non existent on all counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Red Hot Chilli Peppers,saw them at Phoenix Park 04,dreadful,worst big band ive ever seen,the singer was pretty much non existent on all counts

Went to the gig in the O2 expecting a bad performance, but I was pleasantly surprised, tbh!

• Advertisement

karaokeman wrote: »
    He did but I was looking for a gig and it just didn't fit my criteria for a gig.

Agree with Baz2009, thats what I should have known before I bought my ticket.

Then that doesn't make him bad live at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

That time in the Point when Dylan apparently had laryngitis. Not a great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

baz2009 wrote: »
    Went to the gig in the O2 expecting a bad performance, but I was pleasantly surprised, tbh!

I was there, I love the Chilis but I was curious seen as how I've heard so many people slating their live performances.

Very good performance, only thing that disappointed me was the fact Keidis didn't speak too much and perhaps the fact they didn't play Otherside.

I'm also going to see them in Croker next year so I will see how that gig compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've seen Deftones live twice and both times they were awful which was a terrible pity as most of their albums are fantastic and they are one of my favourite bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Bob Dylan these days. He can barely sing at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Malice wrote: »
    I've seen Deftones live twice and both times they were awful which was a terrible pity as most of their albums are fantastic and they are one of my favourite bands.

Same here, although first time I saw them I loved it regardless. Second time left during their second song. That said, other people I know have seen them on different occasions and said they were amazing. I guess it depends on the night ya catch them and how much they've had to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

RHCP are rubbish. Saw them twice so no mistake about it.

Kings of Leon have basically no charisma but technically they're proficient.

Weezer likewise have a front man who makes you cringe just by being in the same building as him, dont know if it was disinterest in the gig or if its nerves or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Black Eyed Peas, MGMT, Katy Perry to name a few...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Suas11 wrote: »
    Bob Dylan these days. He can barely sing at this stage.

He should give it up, the man is embarassing himself at this stage.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    He should give it up, the man is embarassing himself at this stage.

Embarrassing himself? Wait till he gives a **** what anyone else thinks of him :p Bob's never been much of a singer, and he's definitely never cared about anyone else's opinion. He's sticking to his guns into his 70s, the man's a legend, and integrity personified.

Embarrassing himself? Wait till he gives a **** what anyone else thinks of him :p Bob's never been much of a singer, and he's definitely never cared about anyone else's opinion. He's sticking to his guns into his 70s, the man's a legend, and integrity personified.

Sticking to his guns? Do me a favour, sticking to his wallet more like!

Sticking to his guns? Do me a favour, sticking to his wallet more like!

Are you for real? If someone's good at something and keeps doing it for as long as they can, it must mean they're just in it for the money?

Are you for real? If someone's good at something and keeps doing it for as long as they can, it must mean they're just in it for the money?

Key part there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ocean colour scene are brutal live.

Key part there.

Get over yourself. There's no musician on the planet that's inherently than any other musician, music is all a matter of taste. So say you don't like him, fine, but it's impossible to say he's not good. And then when you consider he's one of the greatest songwriters of all time, a complete maverick, who's never sat still for anyone, what about him doesn't measure up to your definition of good? Should he have a perfect singing voice? That's not what Dylan is about, never has been.

• Advertisement

Get over yourself. There's no musician on the planet that's inherently than any other musician, music is all a matter of taste. So say you don't like him, fine, but it's impossible to say he's not good. And then when you consider he's one of the greatest songwriters of all time, a complete maverick, who's never sat still for anyone, what about him doesn't measure up to your definition of good? Should he have a perfect singing voice? That's not what Dylan is about, never has been.

I take it you've never done that then, ever? Ain't me that needs to get over myself.

I take it you've never done that then, ever? Ain't me that needs to get over myself.

Course I have, but I've always realised I was wrong later on. Used to say Green Day were rubbish, realised they wrote some defining songs for a whole genre of music, used to think Kraftwerk were boring, realised they invented techno, used to think techno was boring, realised it's (the really good stuff anyway) just as good as any Steve Reich or Philip Glass music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Keep your music elitist crap to yourselves lads...

MGMT were the most noticeably terrible live band I've seen, who's album I enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Dylan is beyond reproach. Slagging of his singing ability just proves you dont get him. Which is fine and lets leave it at that

John Martyn could be equally brilliant or terrible. Just depended on how drunk he was. RIP

music elitist crap

That's exactly what it's not. Absolutely all music is fantastic, it's impossible to write off any artist or genre or anything entirely. This is all inclusive, not exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Kings of Leon . Went to slane last year . Regretted it the minute i got there. What a waste of 80 yo yos. **** band, **** set up, ****ty queues and scumbags. my girlfriend will not convince me next time. Kings of Leon are lifeless pretty boys. I want my rock stars dead !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Kings of Leon are lifeless pretty boys. I want my rock stars dead !
    !

Anyway, the following song is great, and I don't think I'd like it as much were it not for the particular timbre of Dylan's voice:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

So...You went to see a DJ do a DJ set, and now we have a thread about how disappointed you were that he didn't sing.

I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

MGMT were the most noticeably terrible live band I've seen, who's album I enjoyed.
    I agree, their Oxegen 2008 set was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Director were pretty bad when I saw them live. They had them on the main stage at Oxegen one morning and they seemed like a pub band that got lost and ended up there by mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

UB40

Advertisement