Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music acts that are bad live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Badly Drawn Boy - How that fellow has not got lynched is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

D1stant wrote: »
    Dylan is beyond reproach. Slagging of his singing ability just proves you dont get him. Which is fine and lets leave it at that

John Martyn could be equally brilliant or terrible. Just depended on how drunk he was. RIP

Absolute b ollocks. Is there anything more pretentious than this phrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Red Hot Chilli Peppers,saw them at Phoenix Park 04,dreadful,worst big band ive ever seen,the singer was pretty much non existent on all counts

The sound was absolutely awful at that gig, but ya the Chilis are very poor live. Stopped going to their gigs after the Phoenix Park. Slane was the only time I've actualy seen them put any kind of effort into the performance and I suspect that was owing to the dvd.

Saw Mick Flannery at the Opera House for New years in 09/10. I've never been so bored at a gig. The GF is a fan and I thought the odd song I knew was grand but it was torture. I found his performance to be dreary, monotonous tedium without any real variation between his songs. It just was one long mumbling song for me. Halfway through an old wan behind us starting audibly expressing the same sentiment to her husband, which was irritating but not as much as the small group that were near the front that were desperate to be acknowledged - and to let everyone else that they knew him - as his hardcore original fans. In fairness to Mick he ignored them as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

In reference to Calvin Harris at the start of the topic: I saw him live in the O2 last month and thought he was unreal, and this is coming from a person who never really listened to any of his stuff. The only reason I saw him live was because he was the opening "Act" for Rihanna!

Anyway, back on topic, although I've never actually seen her live, I saw a Shakira concert on TV and she was absolutely awful....and I really do mean terrible!! Now maybe there was a reason for it, and maybe it was a once off, (or maybe it was just the TV :p:p:D!) but yeah, she wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I genuinely don't think I've been to a bad gig. Maybe Kasabian at The Point in 2009, at a push.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ocean colour scene are brutal live.

Ah come on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Jackie O Motherf**ker. Bunch of lads jamming on stage, it went nowhere. They seemed like decent folk but It was one of the worst gigs I've ever seen.

Pixies. They played fine but they didn't want to be there or around each other, terrible atmosphere.

Darkspace (or something like that). I seen them in the Workmans club last year, bad dark wave stuff best left in the 1980s.

Flaming Lips. I've never heard their albums but live I found them awful. Visually a sideshow act and musically to be everything I hate about prog rock.

I've seen a few of my favourites on a bad night but they made up for it before or since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Ah come on now!

Its true, I saw Ocean Colour Scheme at Oxegen, no stage presence at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

smokedeels wrote: »
    Flaming Lips. I've never heard their albums but live I found them awful. Visually a sideshow act and musically to be everything I hate about prog rock.

That's interesting, most people who just happen to catch them at festivals or whatever without listening to their albums seem to lose their absolute **** over their live show.

I'm a huge Lips fan, have been since I was about 14, and their live show was getting a bit repetitive until around 2010, but they changed it up a good bit recently. I think they're defo back on form again.

karaokeman wrote: »

To be honest it's a bit hard to judge a music acts live ability by a festival performance

• Advertisement

karaokeman wrote: »

At the Green Room in 2007, they packed the place out and were absolutely brilliant.

I've seen them twice since, and I can't really complain about them. Solidly good show. Probably better in the tents than on the Main Stage, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

At the Green Room in 2007, they packed the place out and were absolutely brilliant.

I've seen them twice since, and I can't really complain about them. Solidly good show. Probably better in the tents than on the Main Stage, mind you.

I saw them in Heineken not the main stage.

But I would agree different strokes for different folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

I think Ocean Colour Scene are fantastic live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I genuinely don't think I've been to a bad gig. Maybe Kasabian at The Point in 2009, at a push.

kasabian bad live :eek: must be just you so. i was also at that gig and found it to be the best gig ive ever been to

ricero wrote: »
    kasabian bad live :eek: must be just you so. i was also at that gig and found it to be the best gig ive ever been to

You just get the feeling that they can never be an Oasis, Blur, Stone Roses, Smiths... or even a Supergrass. They are boring and delusional

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Can't remember the year but I was at Oxegen (or was it Witness) one year when Oasis played at the same time as Basement Jaxx. I went to Basement Jaxx with 3 or 4 others and they were fantastic. All my other mates went to Oasis and said it was a disaster.

James Brown was incredibly bad live but he was nearing the end at that stage and probably only had a few of his marbles left (two to be precise - both in his pants by the way he was going at it on stage).

I've have seen the Chilis live 3 or 4 times and they are hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Bob Dylan in Kilkenny about 5 years ago, I think we all left before the end as we couldn't endure any more.

Not quite as bad were The Shins: just don't sound as good as you'd expect them to live, also Pavement: They weren't awful either just a bit ropey (although they're known for being ropey live anyway so I was expecting it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

All my other mates went to Oasis and said it was a disaster.

Liam had a heavy cold on the day and it's why his vocals were so rough. Have the bootleg and Liam doesn't sound good at all, proof below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaoPqy3gl1E

You just get the feeling that they can never be an Oasis, Blur, Stone Roses, Smiths... or even a Supergrass. They are boring and delusional

I've always found this from listening to their music too, could never understand the hype about them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Normally good but Radiohead, Malahide 2008, the worst gig I have ever been to. An abomination. It opened my mind to the fact that they are one of the biggest emperor's new clothes bands around since Ok Computer (when they were actually great) and I was a big Radiohead fan up to that point.

• Advertisement

Normally good but Radiohead, Malahide 2008, the worst gig I have ever been to. An abomination. It opened my mind to the fact that they are one of the biggest emperor's new clothes bands around since Ok Computer (when they were actually great) and I was a big Radiohead fan up to that point.

How come?

That gig blew my mind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

El Pr0n wrote: »
    How come?

That gig blew my mind :pac:

There was no energy, they played mostly their later material which is more suited to a electronic jazz club, and their post Ok Computer does nothing for me. Everything in its Right Place for example is a struggle to listen to, because its a few chords repeated over and over again, and its just a boring song. When they play it live I'm like "oh god here we go again." There are plenty of other "experimental" songs they have which just sound trivial compared to the compositional excellence of their earlier work.

Thom Yorke basically dissapeared up his own ass, in particular with his new vocal style which constitutes nothing singing in my opinion. He just warbles and can get away with being out of tune and not articulating his words because the sound he produces allows this, but its a horrible sound and again insignificant and trivial compared to the almost operatic power of his voice on songs like Sulk or The Bends when he actually came across like he felt what he was singing and made the words matter. Now its just high pitched keening and half sung vocals, it sounds like a diluted watery mess.

Phil Selway doesn't even try to play drums anymore, he's trying to sound like a drum machine, he was never a great drummer but at least he made an effort particularly on songs like Paranoid Android, where his drumming contributed to the whirlwind passages of fury, now he just plays repetitive click clack (hate that sound) beats, as if he no longer likes playing drums at all.

Their guitar sound has also become a bit diluted too, its mostly that horrible clean sound overlayed with a bit of distortion or just purely clean, at least back in the day their guitars actually had a bit of drive, power and muscle, now its this indie style sound which is terrible.

There was no energy, they played mostly their later material which is more suited to a electronic jazz club, and their post Ok Computer does nothing for me. Everything in its Right Place for example is a struggle to listen to, because its a few chords repeated over and over again, and its just a boring song. When they play it live I'm like "oh god here we go again." There are plenty of other "experimental" songs they have which just sound trivial compared to the compositional excellence of their earlier work.

Thom Yorke basically dissapeared up his own ass, in particular with his new vocal style which constitutes nothing singing in my opinion. He just warbles and can get away with being out of tune and not articulating his words because the sound he produces allows this, but its a horrible sound and again insignificant and trivial compared to the almost operatic power of his voice on songs like Sulk or The Bends when he actually came across like he felt what he was singing and made the words matter. Now its just high pitched keening and half sung vocals, it sounds like a diluted watery mess.

Phil Selway doesn't even try to play drums anymore, he's trying to sound like a drum machine, he was never a great drummer but at least he made an effort particularly on songs like Paranoid Android, where his drumming contributed to the whirlwind passages of fury, now he just plays repetitive click clack (hate that sound) beats, as if he no longer likes playing drums at all.

Their guitar sound has also become a bit diluted too, its mostly that horrible clean sound overlayed with a bit of distortion or just purely clean, at least back in the day their guitars actually had a bit of drive, power and muscle, now its this indie style sound which is terrible.

Guitar music is fundamentally better, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Hi, I have a tin opener, would you like to see it work?

can-of-worms.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Guitar music is fundamentally better, that's for sure.

And they just keep coming!

cga0275l.jpg

Sweet wrote: »
    And they just keep coming!

cga0275l.jpg

To be fair, I've been consistent in my "Radiohead's first three albums are their best" opinion. Even in their later work, their guitar-driven tracks are their best (Jigsaw Falling into Place, Go to Sleep).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

but they dont wana be a blur or an oasis they sound nothing alike. the closest band they sound to is primal scream in their earlier days. im sorry but there better than ****ing supergrass :pac:. anyway i thought it was a awesome gig and likewise this year they were brilliant again in the o2 in january.

anyway worst gig i went to was radiohead in mahlahide castle the support act was **** and i say they only played roughly 3 songs from their post kid a albums. did not mind much because i didnt pay as my mates uncles one of their ma nagers so happy days :)

ricero wrote: »
    but they dont wana be a blur or an oasis they sound nothing alike. the closest band they sound to is primal scream in their earlier days. im sorry but there better than ****ing supergrass :pac:. anyway i thought it was a awesome gig and likewise this year they were brilliant again in the o2 in january.

I think Tom Meighan is completely in awe of Noel Gallagher. I assume you've seen the video of one of the first times he met Oasis - he reacts how I would have reacted to meeting heroes of mine!

Kasabian have also talked about how they can now fill the void left by Oasis.

And if you were to take a Supergrass greatest hits and compare it to a Kasabian greatest hits, you'd be hard pushed to say that the latter is better than the former!! :cool:

Anyway, each to their own, dyerknowwhatimean? (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Crystal Castles and Daedalus were both atrocious live.

• Advertisement

So it was a bad gig because you don't like the music they make anymore?

Drummers are bad drummers if they'd rather play tight drum beats instead of looser rock stuff? Songs are boring if chord progressions repeat? Guitars are only interesting if they're distorted?

No energy? Electronic jazz club?

Insignificant singing?

There's nothing experimental about Radiohead, never has been. They're very good, and they started moving away from rock music after The Bends. You give out about them sounding like jazz and using clean guitars, but you love OK Computer... Ever heard The Tourist? I mean, if you don't like electronic music, fair enough (well not really, how can you prefer types of music just because of the instruments used?), but it isn't a bad gig just because you hadn't like their music for the preceding 11 years.

Advertisement