Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

butchering your own animals

• 15-12-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

bit of a strange query here....out of curiosity and interest from a self sufficiency point of view

I've been told you cant butcher your own animals for your own consumption which I find a little unfair.......as I don't see why one should be prohibited from feeding oneself with their own stock (but on the other hand I am also aware there are good reasons for this - some of which I know)

1) I was wondering if anyone could confirm this absolutely however

2) I was also wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of hoops one would have to jump through to be allowed butcher your own meat for your own consumption (not for sale or distribution etc)

would you have to conform to certain hygiene standards, have a certain designated area, collect offal for proper disposal by a service....get trained as a butcher, get specialized equipment etc...what would be necessary

3) do these rules (if they exist to the extent I think they do) extend to killing something like your own chicken and plucking it for Sunday dinner etc

I am aware that you can get your own animals slaughtered and butchered by a butcher that offers the service who will give back the proper cuts etc but I am really curious as to how tied up it is and how much red tape would have to be jumped through to be able to do it yourself whether it makes sense financially or not

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭tonytoc11

There's a small bit on it in the thread below. You can't do it yourself.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056458049

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

ta...that sort of answers my questions

its not even close to being worth it financially and its not legal or possibly feasible for beef for someone like me starting from zero knowledge base

wouldn't mind getting a slaughterhouse or a butcher to do a heifer for me or a lamb or two for a fair price

how would you ensure you were getting your own meat back though.....thats the bit that bothers me...not knowing if someone is pulling the old bait and switch:D....I'd like to know definitively (truly beyond a shadow of a doubt) what my quality animals actually taste like

can you mark the hide in a way they cant or wouldn't bother to duplicate

+ does anyone know do they give you hearts, kidneys, liver in the case of lambs?

(I know...I have deep rooted psychological problems when it comes to trusting people)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Get the Butcher to leave the left ear (plus tag) attached to the carcase until you come to collect it - they regularly do this with beef but it can also be done with lambs - no mix up possible if the ear & tag still attached

Highland wrote: »
    Get the Butcher to leave the left ear (plus tag) attached to the carcase until you come to collect it - they regularly do this with beef but it can also be done with lambs - no mix up possible if the ear & tag still attached

thanks ... that would seem to do the trick................will the left half of the carcass still be connected to the right?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

amacca wrote: »
    thanks ... that would seem to do the trick................will the left half of the carcass still be connected to the right?
    Will the head not be gone? :confused:

• Advertisement

pajero12 wrote: »
    Will the head not be gone? :confused:

no expert but I presume the ear can be detached from the head/skull and left attached by a piece of hide?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP I think you can still legally kill and butcher a rabbit for yourself, last time I looked I didn't see any eartags on them........yet;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    OP I think you can still legally kill and butcher a rabbit for yourself, last time I looked I didn't see any eartags on them........yet;)

as long as you watch the ones with mixy:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Head will be gone. so too will the hide (except the bit on the ear). The remove ear from top of head but leave it hanging on a strip of muscle that comes up from the neck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

amacca wrote: »

But your animal will have two tags, one in each ear, so the butcher is able to leave a tag on each side of the carcase when it's hanging. The bit to watch out for is the fillet, shaped a bit like a pork steak. Worth in the region of 20e/kg.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

cheers for the responses lads.............very helpful.

Advertisement