Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

refinishing project so far

Options
  • 15-12-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

hi lads im about half way through refinishing my semi (havent touched the barrel yet) but heres the project so far.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

What did you use to coat the action ? Duracoat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jay.b

first step was to clean it back to the metal,
    next is etch primer , then 2k primer
    then black base coat
    then marbelizer 2 coats
    then 3 coats of inter coat clear.
    the trigger is gold so im gonna do some high-lights in gold on it (in the next day or too) and then clear coat matt finish.
    then ill take a look at bluing the barrel:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Excellent pics :)

Looking forward to seeing how the barrels will turn out and how well the bluing looks with a action when complete.

What way are you planning on refinishing the stock ?

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Looks super, well done and keep the pic's coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

your blueing will only be as good as your prep and even then if you are going to use a home blueing kit i fear you will be disappointed after the time and effort you have put into so far would you not get it done professionally
    i have been there and got the t shirt i have a mate who is/was a metal polisher i gave him a barrel to polish for me once .it was like a mirror i then blued it with a home kit it was a real mess i'm sorry to say it's okay for screw heads and trigger guards etc but the finish isn't consistent enough to do barrels in my opinion to pass muster from close up

• Advertisement

im starting to think this home bluing is not such a good idea. i might just paint the barrel in high temp satin black:rolleyes:

jay.b wrote: »
    im starting to think this home bluing is not such a good idea. i might just paint the barrel in high temp satin black:rolleyes:

What about the stock... is it synthetic or wooden ?

the stock is synthetic (plain black) i dont think ill do anything to it, then again.............:cool:

jay.b wrote: »
    the stock is synthetic (plain black) i dont think ill do anything to it, then again.............:cool:

Cool... cant wait to see it all finished.

GH

hi all, i have all the highlights, i think i'm putting on it, done now. i got the decals airbrushed in this morning. although its a silver, i used gold to match the trigger. its almost ready for clear coat now. now i gotta take a look at that barrel:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

@Jay.b - Sir - is there any way of making your images a bit smaller? Right now they would measure up about five by three feet on my screen.

TIA.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Great job so far and should look the muts nuts when finished ESP with a synthetic stock. Like has been said, ild consider a profecional blueing to make the gun stand our that little bit extra but great work so far. Keep the pics coming

tac foley wrote: »
    @Jay.b - Sir - is there any way of making your images a bit smaller? Right now they would measure up about five by three feet on my screen.

TIA.

tac[/QUOTE

hi tac heres some smaller pics for you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Thank you, Sir - v. kind. Now only three by two!

It's the thought that counts. ;=)

Best

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

tac, if you right click on the images and select "view image" or whatever similar option appears, it should resize them to fit your screen. ;)

@ Jay.b : you're doing a crackin' job on that - it's looks fantastic!

hi all just a couple more pics. im finished it now more or less, gonna clear coat it tomorrow, if i get a chance. next pics will be when its all back together:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Very nice looking paint job Jay. Pat on the back and well done to you lad. Looking forward to pics of it assembled. I have a gold fusion myself so really finding this interesting

ok lads so here it is. the refinished browning silver. im very happy with the way it turned out. hope you like:cool:

Advertisement