Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overweight Musicians Appreciation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have to chime in here after reading the thread on the guy on the bands and musicians forum who didn't want a fat bassist?
    At the end of the day, who cares if someone is fat or not. It will ALWAYS come down to the music. Where are the Blizzards now? Why? The music had no lasting power. Who here can say they were influenced by the blizzards? "Bressie" will go the same way, of the dodo, one of the days.
    For fecks sake, yer man in Sigur Ros is blind in one eye, none of them are "rides", and they make the most touching music around, and will last a lot longer than The Coronas, who seem to be big with teenage girls on the college circuit. End of.

Fair enough, in pop music, it's all mainly image based, but very few pop bands last the course, or influence people, especially nowadays. A few do, but on the whole, not a lot.

It should ALWAYS be about the music. ALWAYS. Yes, it's important to have an image, to look like a "band", but you can have a fat guy in a band, who can still look part of the "band" or the "collective". Who bloody cares what someone looks like?

It seems the guy who started that thread looking for non fat musicians has the right idea in many ways, but if they are really basing a potential bass player on image, and appealing to teenage girls, sorry, but you won't be around in 5 years time, you'll be chewed up, spat out, and chucked on the heap marked "that was spring summer 2012", now onto the next hot looking youngfella....It seems the guy looking for a dude of a bass player is basing all the bands success on appealing to screaming teenage girls, instead of basing it on a killer album first and foremost. There are too many of these hipster bands in Ireland today, and they won't be around in 2 years time, as the music just doesn't cut it, it doesn't go deeper, it's just a trend like skinny jeans.....

You don't need a record deal to make it either........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

There's a lot of assumption in there seachto7, in fairness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭boneitis

El Pr0n wrote: »
    There's a lot of assumption in there seachto7, in fairness...

Exactly.

If he'd gone and read the actual ad he'd realise that the music is extant. In other words, it's been "all about the music" for a while now. In addition, we're not being shallow, we're being patient and picky. So, the bass player has to look the part, but ALSO be the right musician for the part.

If we can't find the right person our management is going to start suggesting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I honestly can't believe how many people have managed to misunderstand what boneitis has written. It's like there's a collective mindset of righteous indignation taking over for someone daring to place a certain emphasis on looks based on feedback from a record company.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

pa_anthony420x300.jpg

Adele... wait

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Malice wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe how many people have managed to misunderstand what boneitis has written. It's like there's a collective mindset of righteous indignation taking over for someone daring to place a certain emphasis on looks based on feedback from a record company.

Most people would like to think that looks are unimportant when it comes to their appreciation of music but lets be honest a bands image can play a big part in helping to get them noticed or helping to convey the type of music they're peddling. Every genre of music has some sort of visual language and fashion sense attached to it. Certain types of music will celebrate supposed rejections of societal norms through the look of the musicians playing that music - black metal, fat bastard ugly bluesmen, etc. - but for the most part bands that have made it large have also embraced the visual side of things - whether through fashion, branding or design. Think White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips etc... the mightn't necessarily be handsome but they'll exude a certain amount of coolness that people can identify with.

I think the problem people have with boneitis' search for a skinny bass player is that in that regard he is putting style over substance. He doesn't seem to want someone who can contribute to the band in anything other than style. But tbh, most people on here would rather cut off their own piles than listen to the likes of the Coronas or any of the other light 'alternative' acts that are being talked about so I can't really see why they would bother getting worked up about it. Imo pursing the same type of market that theCoronas have is a complete dead end. The Coronas might be huge in Termonfeckin but their brand of heart on sleeve blandness is not getting them anywhere internationally.

The hilarious thing is that, if you go read the original ad, it's like one pretty innocuous sentence... it's all the seemingly illiterate people who are angry at things I never said (and often don't believe) that is shocking.

I know the internet is a pretty ridiculous place, but this is pretty pathetic, even by those already extremely low standards.

People getting exorcised about the things they imagine I'm saying. WTF Boards? And then passionately posting their disgust at what their imagination has generated.

Aggravating.

But a big thanks to all the mods who have tried to control this mess.

--

To everyone else... Imagine this scenario, two bassists apply, I let them both audition, they are exactly as talented as each other. One is a fat slob, the other is handsome and well put together.

Which do I choose? Who would YOU choose?

What do I tell the fat slob?

Should I lie to him? Is that a more moral plan? Lying to someone?

What if the best musician is someone that doesn't look the part, we choose him anyway, and label after label says "loose the fat guy and we'll sign you" (and no that's not a crazy thing... heard that thing first hand from label folks about other bands in the past).

Then what?

Should I sacrifice the career of the others in the band, to prove a point about body image in the media?

Really?

Or how about this:

I avoid all of these problems by honestly stating my position, and carefully describing the desired candidate.

What's the best plan?

/rant

Most people would like to think that looks are unimportant when it comes to their appreciation of music but lets be honest a bands image can play a big part in helping to get them noticed or helping to convey the type of music they're peddling. Every genre of music has some sort of visual language and fashion sense attached to it. Certain types of music will celebrate supposed rejections of societal norms through the look of the musicians playing that music - black metal, fat bastard ugly bluesmen, etc. - but for the most part bands that have made it large have also embraced the visual side of things - whether through fashion, branding or design. Think White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips etc... the mightn't necessarily be handsome but they'll exude a certain amount of coolness that people can identify with.

I think the problem people have with boneitis' search for a skinny bass player is that in that regard he is putting style over substance. He doesn't seem to want someone who can contribute to the band in anything other than style. But tbh, most people on here would rather cut off their own piles than listen to the likes of the Coronas or any of the other light 'alternative' acts that are being talked about so I can't really see why they would bother getting worked up about it. Imo pursing the same type of market that theCoronas have is a complete dead end. The Coronas might be huge in Termonfeckin but their brand of heart on sleeve blandness is not getting them anywhere internationally.

You obviously need to actually read what I've posted.

I have NEVER said I want style over substance.

I want BOTH.

Yet another person who felt the need to hop on and talk about what I want, without bothering to read what I've said.

Annoying.

boneitis wrote: »
    You obviously need to actually read what I've posted.

I have NEVER said I want style over substance.

I want BOTH.

Yet another person who felt the need to hop on and talk about what I want, without bothering to read what I've said.

Annoying.

You said
    Reality check: The labels (we're talking majors here folks), management, etc., are gonna demand that you look like a bit like a musician... sorry about that, but there you go. To that end you will be vaguely judged on looks. Don't shoot the messenger.

You never mentioned anything in the original ad about competency on the bass.

And tbf, I'm not actually giving you any guff about your preference for wanting a skinny bass player am I? If that's what you think will bring you the fame and fortune you crave, knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

You never mentioned anything in the original ad about competency on the bass.
    I think it should be taken as a given that competency on the instrument is expected. When you go to buy a car you don't start specifying that it must have a steering wheel or brakes do you?

• Advertisement

What if the best musician is someone that doesn't look the part, we choose him anyway, and label after label says "loose the fat guy and we'll sign you" (and no that's not a crazy thing... heard that thing first hand from label folks about other bands in the past).

Any of these bands make it big after they ditched the fatty?

I think it should be taken as a given that competency on the instrument is expected. When you go to buy a car you don't start specifying that it must have a steering wheel or brakes do you?

No, but you'll want to know that it's in good condition. Your analogy would mean that people would be asking for bass players with hands and a head. He never expressed what level of proficiency the bass player might need.

Again, you're the voice of sanity.

I like how he also included by exact quote, "vaguely judged on looks".

It should be OBVIOUS that an advert in the MUSICIANS WANTED forum is looking for a MUSICIAN.

I didn't think I need to say, "must be able to play bass," but I guess I was wrong.

No, but you'll want to know that it's in good condition. Your analogy would mean that people would be asking for bass players with hands and a head. He never expressed what level of proficiency the bass player might need.

You're acting desperate now.

The point of auditions is to determine their overall level of ability, etc.

I could say, "must be the best bassist ever" and I'd still get a hundred people that think they're amazing and aren't.

Give it up. I never said looks were the most important thing. Ever.

Any of these bands make it big after they ditched the fatty?

Yes. I know someone that is on a major that has fired his band 4 times in three years. And has had very big hits. Lots of bands haemorrhage musicians and LOTS of bands are REALLY only one of two people, even though they are technically a 5 piece, etc. Those bands frequently fire the rest of the band and upgrade to get signed or right after they are signed.

This is the reality of this business.

Again, you're the voice of sanity.

I like how he also included by exact quote, "vaguely judged on looks".

It should be OBVIOUS that an advert in the MUSICIANS WANTED forum is looking for a MUSICIAN.

I didn't think I need to say, "must be able to play bass," but I guess I was wrong.

I'm not going to misquote you to look bad, what's the point of that?

Like I said, in your ad you never mention anywhere in the ad about how good the bass player needs to be, just that they will be judged on looks. Now to many people that would indicate you're looking for style over substance and the defence you've used for this has been to pit a fat slob against a handsome and well turned out young man in some eternal battle for the soul and future profits of your band. Now I have no problem with any of this - its your prerogative who you enlist into your band and let's be honest if you're going to be playing mainstream indie I ain't going to be listening to you - but please don't be getting on your high horse about this. I wasn't getting on mine...

My original contribution was actually about how image is important to a band and while I thought you were looking for style over substance I wasn't being self righteous about it, was I?

Yes. I know someone that is on a major that has fired his band 4 times in three years. And has had very big hits.
    This is the reality of this business.

Who is this international man of mystery?

I'm not going to misquote you to look bad, what's the point of that?

Like I said, in your ad you never mention anywhere in the ad about how good the bass player needs to be, just that they will be judged on looks. Now to many people that would indicate you're looking for style over substance and the defence you've used for this has been to pit a fat slob against a handsome and well turned out young man in some eternal battle for the soul and future profits of your band. Now I have no problem with any of this - its your prerogative who you enlist into your band and let's be honest if you're going to be playing mainstream indie I ain't going to be listening to you - but please don't be getting on your high horse about this. I wasn't getting on mine...

My original contribution was actually about how image is important to a band and while I thought you were looking for style over substance I wasn't being self righteous about it, was I?

Like I just said, the audition is to determine their ability as a musician. I said "vaguely judged" and in post after post I repeatedly said that looks is only part of the equation. As has been pointed out to you, it's pretty obvious that an ad for a bassist is looking for someone that actually plays bass. I can't really judge that at a distance, but I can judge if someone "look enough like a musician" to avoid creating further issues with business people down the road.

It's not hard to understand EXACTLY what I want, as this is the most micro-analysed musician wanted ad in years on boards... afaik.

Who is this international man of mystery?

Like I keep saying, this persona of mine is anonymous intentionally. I can't publicly give away details, but if you want I can PM you his name... do you really care?

But it's the only thing you mentioned outside of age group and a willingness to go on stage. Honestly I've no idea why you're getting so ratty with me? I didn't write the ad and I wasn't particularly interested in giving you a hard time about it.

• Advertisement

Like I keep saying, this persona of mine is anonymous intentionally. I can't publicly give away details, but if you want I can PM you his name... do you really care?

But if he's well known and he's had international hits how will that be giving away your secret identity?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheMutations

If I were in a band that were being courted by a major label the first thing I would be emphasis would be the player's ability and competency. I think its somewhat important.
    You're acting desperate now.

The point of auditions is to determine their overall level of ability, etc.

I could say, "must be the best bassist ever" and I'd still get a hundred people that think they're amazing and aren't.

Equally, stating something like "must look like a musician" will get you a hundred people that think they look the part.

But if he's well known and he's had international hits how will that be giving away your secret identity?

It's not his name, it's that if you know who he is it won't be hard to figure out who I am...

duh.

If I were in a band that were being courted by a major label the first thing I would be emphasis would be the player's ability and competency. I think its somewhat important.

If only I'd thought of a way to suss that.... like auditions or something...
    Equally, stating something like "must look like a musician" will get you a hundred people that think they look the part.

If only I'd thought of a way to suss that, like asking for photos.

Oh waaaaaiiiiitt... I did.

Anyone that has applied gets asked IMMEDIATELY for photos and samples of their playing.

It's not his name, it's that if you know who he is it won't be hard to figure out who I am...

duh.

I don't really know what the duh is about. I have no idea how you are connected to this man unless you tell me. You say he fired his band 4 times in 3 years? Where they fired because of their looks or their competency?

One thing I don't understand is why Boneitis isn't working with their very competent management. If the management are that good then surely they can suggest hundreds of players that would be more than suitable the band. It sounds to me that what this band are looking for was already offered to them by a record company/management team.

Certainly it would be a better option than trying to find randomers on a public website.

I don't really know what the duh is about. I have no idea how you are connected to this man unless you tell me. You say he fired his band 4 times in 3 years? Where they fired because of their looks or their competency?

The duh is because it's pretty obvious why I don't want to say it publicly.

One thing I don't understand is why Boneitis isn't working with their very competent management. If the management are that good then surely they can suggest hundreds of players that would be more than suitable the band. It sounds to me that what this band are looking for was already offered to them by a record company/management team.

Certainly it would be a better option than trying to find randomers on a public website.

As I have already and repeatedly explained:

The point is having control.

If we find a candidate that's perfect we avoid having someone thrust on us.

Again, fairly obvious stuff.

The duh is because it's pretty obvious why I don't want to say it publicly.

It really isn't obvious at all.

• Advertisement

As I have already and repeatedly explained:

The point is having control.

If we find a candidate that's perfect we avoid having someone thrust on us.

Again, fairly obvious stuff.

Actually its not obvious as I only know a few details of your situation.

A good management team is going to give you options, ie give you a list of people to recommend and to audition. They are going to recommend competent players and players who look the part. You still have control over who you choose, presumably on how you gel as people and musicians.

Advertisement