Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing

• 15-12-2011 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Just looking for advice..Is there anywhere near UCC where you can put the usb stick into the computer, edit an essay etc. and print it off then. I dont have an account in the library, which is out. By the way it is a disgrace that you have to put in credit card details if you want to print something. Why cant you pay..I printed something out today in the shop on college road. Unfortunately you can edit anything there and my essay came out wrong. Would appreciate the help as I must do the same thing tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The SU box office in the student centre might let you edit it before printing. Do you not have access to any computer on campus or just have no print account? Or is the document coming out different to how you saved it? If this is the case I suggest saving it as a PDF as they'll always come out the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

I dont have a print account. I typed out an essay at home on the laptop which is done in open office format. I came up to college to edit it on the computers which I did. Unfortunately when I printed it if ****ed it up. The footnotes were gone at the end of the page...Also when I wrote 6th for example the "th" came out in huge letters. Messed up the presentation of the essay big time. Imagine trying to hand in an essay like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Not exactly near college, but I find the WebWorkhouse on Winthrop Street to be quite good for doing stuff like that. Not sure how their computers would handle Open Office though, but give them a ring I'd say. They're quite helpful in there.

Yeah Word doesn't like the format OpenOffice uses. When you have it right save it as a PDF and print that when you get the chance as this will always come out the same. Struggling myself moving between LibreOffice at home and Word in college at the moment, generally better to stick to one.
    Hope everything works out for you!

TheChizler wrote: »
    Yeah Word doesn't like the format OpenOffice uses. When you have it right save it as a PDF and print that when you get the chance as this will always come out the same. Struggling myself moving between LibreOffice at home and Word in college at the moment, generally better to stick to one.
    Hope everything works out for you!

Is that when I am in college..Just before I am about to print?

• Advertisement

number10a wrote: »
    Not exactly near college, but I find the WebWorkhouse on Winthrop Street to be quite good for doing stuff like that. Not sure how their computers would handle Open Office though, but give them a ring I'd say. They're quite helpful in there.

Is that somewhere in the city ya? It would suit to be somewhere out near CIT etc. for parking wise. Could you do it in the county hall??

closeline wrote: »
    Is that when I am in college..Just before I am about to print?

Whenever you are happy with the draft! When all the formatting looks right and you've finished editing.

Whenever you are happy with the draft! When all the formatting looks right and you've finished editing.
    Ok fair enough thanks.

Just checking. I am not 100% sure..where do you save it as a PDF

In OpenOffice, for Mac at least, it's File>Export to PDF. In Word 2010 it should be under File>Save As>Save As Type>PDF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

in open office there's a button(on the linux distribution) up at the top left corner.
    although i think you mean how do you do it from word on the college computers? if so then i think you need a special plugin to convert from microsoft word which i doubt is installed in college.
    there are some great online converters that do it very easily but again you'll need to upload a file in the right format

solutions: bring your laptop into college and edit it on open office and export as pdf. then put it on a memory stick and print it at the SU office

alternatively if you know somebody in computer science, in the WGB labs they have access to open office on their linux accounts. they also have printers in the labs which you can add money to in the admin office(1st floor). it's like a change machine, the CS student swipes their card, put in how ever much change they have, and its all added to their account

on a side note, why don't main campus adopt a payment system like this??

Advertisement